out here or are there? If so please email
me? I am tring to research my history and I
only know my grandfather's and grandmother's
names. I grandmother I think is from Georiga
but moved to D.C. in 1950's.

CONEY''S IN GEORGIA(BLACK WHITE)

G. DEKLE CONEY (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 1999 1:58PM GMT
THERE WERE MANY CONEYS IN LAURENS COUNTY, GA. INCLUDING FREED BLACK CONEY'S...1850/60
CENSUS LISTS SEVERAL...TRY SOCIAL SECURITY
DEATH INDEX WHICH LISTS STATE OF SS REGISTRATION AND SOMETIMES LAST BENEFITADDRESS..GOOD LUCK

Coney name and O'Coney

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2000 11:20AM GMT
Coney may be short from O'coney, Scottish Clan Very Small, Appears to be intermingled with Campbell, Georgia Laurens County and the area of Georgia near Americus, Plains, Unicorporated town there and community named Cone and Coney, LOts of Coney in Georgia

CONEY'S IN GEORGIA (BLACK WHITE)

Posted: 24 Mar 2000 1:41PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2005 3:48AM GMT
CORRECTION ON GEORGIA CONEYS...PULASKI CO.,GA(HAWKINSVILLE)
CENSUS LISTED FREED BLACK CONEYS IN 1850/60
INDIANA TEACHER OF THE YEAR IN 197(?) WAS A
BLACK LADY NAMED CONEY....GOOD LUCK..

CONEY AND O'CONEY

Posted: 3 Jun 2000 9:19AM GMT
CONEY'S APPEARED IN US IN 1629 WHEN HENRY
CONEY WAS IN VIRGINIA HOUSE OF BURGESSES(29-32).CONEY'S LATER FOUND IN YORK CO., VA. AND
WESTMORELAND CO., VA. JEREMIAH CONEY AND MARY
COLEMAN MARRIED IN BALTIMORE, MD. IN 1766.
THEN, IN EDGECOMB CO., N.C. 1772-1782; THEN,
JEREMIAH CONEY IN GEORGIA (WILKES, LAUREN,
AND PULASKI CO.,GA.)1795-1805)JEREMIAH DIED
IN PULASKI CO., GA. IN 1842-43. I HAVE COPY
OF LAND DEED TO MY GGRANDFATHER CHARLES C.
CONEY AND BROTHER WILLIAM EZEKIEL CONEY IN
PULASKI CO., GA. 1742-43.
O'CONEY IS MORE IRISH THAN ENGLISH(EDGAR
F.CONEY, BRUINSWICK, GA.@1890-1920 WAS DEFINITELY IRISH(HIS GFATHER JAMES BORN IN
COUNTY WEST MEATH, IREAND. ALSO, MANY IRISH
COONEYS, O'CONEYS, AND CONEYS CAME OVER IN
1840S..CENSUS RECORDS IN GA. LIST MANY.

BLACK CONEY'S

William L. Coney (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2000 11:53PM GMT
THERE ARE QUITE AFEW CONEY'S AROUND I AM FROM NEW JERSEY BUT MY FAMILY IS FROM LAURENS COUNTY GEORGIA. MAYBE WE CAN CONNECT?
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 10:17AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2003 7:07PM GMT
Dear G. Dekle Coney,
I have been reviewing some of the messages on the Coney board and find it very interesting.
I have come across the name Jeremiah Coney previously....while trying to search out facts
concerning my gggrandfather....whose name, and whose decendents name, is "COUEY". I found
a marriage connection in your family history which duplicates a marriage in my family's history.
John Couey married Elizabeth (Betsy) Gay, in Laurens Co., Ga. I have all the dates and they coincide.
Your family lists John Coney as the person who married Betsy Gay, also in Laurens Co., Ga. same date.
Your family's history does not list the children, grandchildren, etc. of this couple....but my
Couey family does.
I am interested in finding someone,such as yourself, who can help me clear up this descrepancy.
My John, is said to also be the son of John, who was the son of Samuel Couey. (from Ireland) These folk
it is said, came to South Carolina, through Charleston, in 1767. They came to be settled in the Abbeville
District. Subsequently, John moved to Georgia, where he married first, Sallie Fraiser. She died after only
a year or so of marriage. Elizabeth,(Betsy) Gay was his second wife and they were married for many years.
We have the records of his service in war of 1812, and of their marriage in 1820. He also applied for military
pension and later his widow, Betsy reapplied for her widow's pension benefits.
They had 11 children, including Henry Clay Couey, my great grandfather who in turn had 11 children, their 5th,
my grandfather....who had 7 children, including 2 sets of twins! and my father. Henry Clay and his wife are
buried in Florida...where they moved. This line continued in Florida and many live there still.
I am so curious as to the actual identity of John Couey/Coney. Can you help????? Thank you so much! Regards, Kathryn

JOHN CONEY OR JOHN COUEY

Posted: 23 Jun 2000 9:18AM GMT
HI KATHRYN:
WISH I HAD A QUICK ANSWER FOR YOU...I DO REMEMBER NOTICING THE COUEY/CONEY QUESTION.
I HAVE A COPY OF THE PENSION APPLICATION;
BUT I AM STILL NOT SURE WHO IS WHO...CONEY
IS DEFINITELY ENGLISH; COUEY IS APPARENTLY
IRISH AS IS COONEY; AND YET WILLIAM D. CONEY, 1LT AAC FROM BRUNSWICK GA, SON OF EDGAR FAIRCHILD CONEY WAS GRANDSON OF JAMES
CONEY WHO CAME FROM COUNTY WEST MEATH, IRELAND...I'LL REVEIW MY RECORDS AND SEE IF
I CAN COME UP WITH ANYTHING DEFINITE..
DEKECONEY@AOL.COM

Re: Black Coneys

Trina Moore (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2000 6:04AM GMT
My father was Richard Coney and from Fitzgeral, GA. He has a brother in NJ, Robert Coney. Robert had 3 children who all live(d) in the DC area. Connection?

Black Coney's in Lauren GA

Kathy Coney-Brooks (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2000 1:49PM GMT
I was born in NY, however, my father's name is Willie L. Coney. He was born in Dublin, GA. His father is John Coney and mother's name is Louise. Both are deceased now. Any relation? Please let me know. Also, I would be interested in attending a CONEY reunion whether Black or White if you know of any.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions