Search for content in message boards

Identify these Civil War vets from the 13th Kentucky Cavalry

Identify these Civil War vets from the 13th Kentucky Cavalry

Brett Conover (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2005 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is a picture of 10 Civil War veterans from Adair County. The second man from the left on the back row, wearing the medal, is Pleasant Sanders Monroe. He was in Company L of the 13th KY Cavalry. If you had ancestors in this regiment or company, see if they are in this photo.
Attachments:

Re: Identify these Civil War vets from the 13th Kentucky Cavalry

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: Smith,Nicholas,Harmon,Garrett,Franklin,Burris,Perryman,Tarter
Hello.......Do you know what year this picture was taken?

Posted: 17 Feb 2005 7:05AM GMT
My best guess is that it was taken shortly after the war. They are in civilian clothing, and there are a lot of them, so it wouldn't have been taken too long after the war.

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 5:44PM GMT
Here is a list of the men of the 13th Kentucky Cavalry. I don't think it's complete, but I see Pleasant S. Monroe on it in Company L. My own ancesters, Dutton and Phelps are in Company K and I .

Sure wish someone would find a picture of Company K.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyclinto/military/13cav.html

Posted: 20 Feb 2005 8:37AM GMT
Surnames: Monroe
Sorry I answered you incorrectly before. I have a picture of the 13th KY Infantry posted as well and I got your message confused. Anyway, my relative Pleasant Monroe was only 16 when he entered the war, so this picture was taken well after. He died in 1913 so it would have been taken some time before that. I would guess that it was probably taken sometime in the early 1900s.

Posted: 20 Feb 2005 8:57AM GMT
Surnames: Wolford McElroy
I don't have a picture of Company K, but I do have pictures of two of its Corporals which I have attached.

Corporal George Milton Wolford
Corporal Francis Marion McElroy
Attachments:

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2005 1:13PM GMT
WOW!!!!
FRANCIS MARION MC ELROY is in my husbands family lineage.

Husbands mother was:
Flora Lee Foley.........her sister Olma Emily m: living McElroy whose father was Alvin Mc Elroy, whose father was Archibald Mc Elroy whose father was Francis Marion Mc Elroy. F. M. Mc Elroy, was from Adair County and m: Mary Jane Bailey.

This is great!!!!! Did you find these pictures or are you related......

<ljpmap@verizon.net>
Marilyn

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2005 6:17PM GMT
Here are my PHELPS men who were in the 13th Kentucky Cavalry. I wonder if any family member has a picture of them or if any of the men in the group picture are of them.

Marilyn
1152 Phelps Charles T. Company K Private Corporal
1153 Phelps James C. Company D Private Private
1154 Phelps James W. Company D Private Private
1155 Phelps John L. Company K Private Sergeant
1156 Phelps William P. Company K Private Quartermaster Sergeant

Charles and John L were brothers ., and William P.was their father.

Posted: 20 Feb 2005 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: McElroy Wolford
I am related to George Milton Wolford, but I just found that picture on the internet a while back. I have a copy of Francis McElroy that is in an old photo album that came out of my great-grandparents house. I realized he was in the 13th Cavalry when I was doing research on George. As far as I know, I'm not related to him in any way. I don't really know why my g-grandparents would have had the picture. He could have been friends with my uncle George Milton, but it seems like we would have had a picture of him too. Its a mystery to me but I'm glad that someone is related to him!

Archibald Bailey - 13th KY Infantry Co. B

Posted: 20 Feb 2005 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey McElroy
Here's a question for you... is Francis McElroy's wife related to an Archibald Bailey that fought in Co. B of the 13th KY Infantry (not Cavalry)? I will attach that one just in case. He is another non-family picture that I have. He was friends with my ggg-grandfather William Henry Conover from the same company. He is listed on the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors system with no regimental data, but he was definitely in the 13th KY Infantry Co. B.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions