Search for content in message boards

John Howell 1799-1865 East Tennessee

John Howell 1799-1865 East Tennessee

Posted: 17 Dec 2004 12:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Dec 2004 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: HOWEL, HOWELL, HOWL
John ma Elizabeth (Betsey) H Larkin(s) 22 June 1826. Lived Rhea, Meigs, & McMinn Co's. Parents likely were Henry & Jane O, from North Carolina about 1793/1794. Probably born Hawkins/Grainger Co. Ch, Mary (Polly) Ann, Samuel Henry, Joseph Anderson, William Shaver, James Houston, Rachel Jane, John Van Buren, Jackson Polk. Widow & ch to Cooke & Montague Co's TX after John's death. Known descendants live in SE TX, south central Oklahoma, Denver CO area, Albuquerque NM, & possibly Santa Fe NM area. Please help locate descendants &/or ancestors. Thank you.

Re: John Howell 1799-1865 East Tennessee

Posted: 28 Sep 2005 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: HOwell
HI,

I thought I would post the will of Jane O Howell for you, and others, Grainger Co. Tn.(Prudence HOwell was married to Daniel C. Carmichal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grainger co. Tn. (roots web):

Howell, Jane O.(noncupative will). Made 21 & 12 Nov. 1849 in her home in her last sickness; my daughter Prudence Carmichael; my daughter Jane Grove; Rose my old black woman; Prudy's children. Made by us & Dec. 1849, Elias Webster, Pleasant Webster. Proved in court Jan Term 1850. Recorded 10 Jan 1850.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deed of HEnry Howell:

Deed of conveyance from Henry Howell to John Jemison for one hundred and twenty five acres of land was acknowledged in open court b HENRY HOWELL the barginor admited to record and ordered to be registered.
"Fifth Survey District of Tennessee, 1816-1823, Grants 1601-2548, Vol. C...#2025: Henry Howell enters 40 acres in Grainger Co. Tn.north of Holston River. Cert. No. 2552 for 40 acres.

Entered 19 Jan 1818 Henry HOwell:
Withdrawn and warrant given to WM . Howell, brother of Henry, 25 1820 by written order of Gen'l John Cocke, Admr. of Henry, Deceased."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Virginia Yancey sent info. that it was believed that
Caleb Howell, William Howell, and Henry Howell were brothers, and also the Malichi Howell who married Elizabeth Reedy 29 Jan. 1793, in Jefferson Co. Tn. I found a fam. tree that shows he was born 1759, Orange Co. N.C. and died 18 Apr. 1850, Meigs, Tn.
Howell, Benjamin, deceased. Wife Agnes, alias Agnes Grissom; Permilia Waler(no relation given); Executor Caleb Howell. Signed Benjamin Howell, 5 Feb. 1833. Witness: Goodwin Price and Joseph Daniel.

Note: William Howell , Jefferson Co. Tn. sold land to Caleb Howell, Grainger Co. Tn.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

P. 267 JOHN HOWELL from Elizabeth Howell, formerlly m. to Benjamin HOwell, land from her mother Elizabeth Brooks of ___County of N.C. Elizabeth Howell's (Howel?)grandfather was Edward Calow-

Thomas HOwell, deceased. My other, all of my land No. Side of Holsten River & profits from mill, at her death to Samuel Carmichael, son of Dennis & Prudence Carmichael------(note just part of the will).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Benjamin Howell and Edward Howell were listed on the adm. bond, when John Howell d. 1792, Orange Co. N.C. Edward Howell, Orange Co. N.C. was also listed as "Heir of John Howell" on his military records.

Ref: Fam Tree Archives: CD: #511, Early Tn. settlers, 1700-1900s. Re: Comm. Officers: Grainger Co. Tn.

Howell, John--Captain, 7th regiments--June 10, 1811.

HOwell, Henry--Second Major--Oct. 4, 1796.

Howell, Malachia--Ensign, Oct. 10, 1796.

HOwell, Caleb--Ensign June 1601.

HOwell, Benjamin; 1832, list age 81, served in N.C. line, drew pension in Grainger Co. Tn.-
Good Luck!

Jimmie Anne(Howell) Kiar

Dorothy Howell Carroll (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2005 6:29PM GMT
Thanks Jimmie for posting. Maybe this will attract someone we haven't yet met.
I have found nothing new since info you have posted.

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 8:21PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2011 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: Howell and Millican
I descend from Caleb Howell through his daughter Rebeccah Howell. Rebeccah Howell married Benjamin Millican, they are my 4th Great grandparents on my mother's side. I would really like to know more information about the Howell family. Thank you for posting. saponi360@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic