Search for content in message boards

GUNNING

GUNNING

Tom Gunning (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for the ancestors and family of Thomas Gunning, b:Abt 1825 in either Co Sligo or Co Roscommon. He raised his family in Co Sligo, on the northern shore of Lough Arrow. His father was James Gunning.

If you are researching the Gunning name from either Co Sligo or Co Roscommon, I'd like to hear from you.

Gunnings of Slito

Patricia O'Neill (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gunning, Devaney
Hallo, Tom Gunning, from Houston Texas.

My paternal great grandmother was born Margaret Gunning. She married to John Devaney and lived on a farm John owned jointly with his brother, James Devaney in Kilmacowen. Margaret Gunning's mother's name may have been Ellen, but I have no other information

My grandmother was born in 1891, so Margaret would have to have been born between 1860 and 1870.

I'd love to hear from you if you notice any connection. I have very little information about the Gunnings other than this, although I have a very old silver thimble enscribed "E. G."

Gunnings of Co Sligo

Tom Gunning (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gunning
Thanks for responding. My Gunning family is somewhat south of where your Margaret Gunning lived in Co Sligo; we were near the border with Co Roscommon. I can't tie you into my family, but I suspect that we're all related. I was in Co Sligo a year ago and met with some second cousins. From what they indicated, there aren't that many Gunning families left in Co Sligo. I'm gathering what information I can on the early Gunning family. Maybe I can piece some of this together.
Posted: 1 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: GUNNING

I'm not sure if I've written to you before, but this is what I have gathered
so far for my Gunning relatives in Boston (Roxbury). My great great
grandmother was Margaret Gunning from Ireland (not sure what county). She
married Thomas Hennessy, originally from County Kilkenny and one of their
children, my great grandmother, was Catherine Hennessy, born in August of
1884. At that time they were living at 23 Prentiss St. in Roxbury. A Thomas
Gunning was the godfather to my great grandmother Catherine. I also found a
birth entry for a Catherine Gunning, born March 23, 1888 in Boston. Her
parents were Thomas and Winnie Gunning, both from Ireland. It lists Thomas'
occupation as stableman. They lived at 16 Downing in Boston or Roxbury. I
hope to find more info on the Gunnings soon.

Eileen

Address Change

Posted: 15 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2001 9:26PM GMT
Please note new address if responding to this inquiry.

Gunning Family Co. Sligo

Colm Maguire (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
My Gunning ancestors lived at Ballysadare and Collooney and are buried in Ballysadare Graveyard.The inscription on their grave reads as follows-
Of your charity pray for the souls of Mary Gunning who departed this life on the 10th of May 1878 aged 98 years. Also Edward J. Gunning who died 4th March 1885, aged 21 years. This monument is erected to their memory by Michael Gunning of STONEHALL. Also Kate, wife of Michael Gunning who died 13th of March 1897, aged 63 years.Also his daughter Mary Maguire who died 13 January 1898, aged 39 years.
Michael Gunning's wife was Catherine Flynn.The Gunning family were reputed to be related to the Gunnings of Roscommon, famous beauties who lived in the 2nd half of 18th century - I have yet to find any proof that they were related!
Any information about the above family would be most welcome.
Many thanks.

Gunning Family, Co. Sligo

Posted: 20 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2001 9:26PM GMT
Hi Colm,

I have to believe that we are related. I'm researching my Gunning ancestors, and I've tracked them down to Thomas Gunning b: Abt 1825 d: 1902 in Ballindoon (East shore of Lough Arrow), Killadoon, Co Sligo (my g-grandfather). His father was James Gunning b: Abt 1800. I believe Thomas had a brother John also. I still have family in the Lough Arrow region, but they have not made a connection to other Gunning families in Co Sligo.

Griffith's valuation (1858 for Co Sligo) has a James, Thomas, and a John Gunning located in Ballysadare, but I don't know if they are the family members above.

I'd be most interested in learning what you know of the Gunning family from Co Sligo, and specifically Ballysadare. I've had contact with another researcher with Gunning family traced back to Riverstown, Co Sligo.

Gunning

Matthew Gunning (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
The Gunning come from Co Clare originally!!!

Re: Gunning

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 8:51AM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2001 8:52AM GMT
Matthew
My Gunning ancestors come from Clare - possibly Killaloe or O'Briens Bridge. Patrick Gunning b. abt 1813, son of Pierce Gunning & Margaret Gallagher, married Mary Minahan, daughter of Denis Minahan & Bridget Ward, abt. 1833 in Clare.
Patrick & Mary emigrated with their family to Melbourne, Aust. in 1854. The Minahans came from O'Briens Bridge.
I am seeking any info. about Gunnings from Clare. Can you assist?

Re: Gunning Family Co. Sligo

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 4:44PM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2002 4:05PM GMT
I have a listing for the marriage of Anne Gunning and Patrick Flynn on June 22, 1865, from the Skreen and Dromard records, and a baptism listed for John to Patrick Flynn and Anne Gunning on Jan. 9, 1879.

Does this fit into your Gunning family?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions