Search for content in message boards

Stephen Bailey who built the Great House

Stephen Bailey who built the Great House

DeCody Brad Marble (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bailey
"THE GREAT HOUSE" in Kinsale, Westmoreland County, Virginia constructed by Stephen Bailey I

. STEPHEN1 BAILEY was born Abt. 1625 in Gloucestershire, England, and died Abt. 1698 in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He married MARY ANN JEFFERIES May 21, 1660 in Gloucestershire, England.

Children of STEPHEN BAILEY and MARY JEFFERIES are:

i. STEPHEN2 BAILEY, b. Abt. 1662; d. Bef. 1697.
2. ii. JOHN I BAILEY, b. Abt. 1664, Northumberland, Virginia; d. 1736, Westmoreland County, Virginia.

iii. ANNE BAILEY, b. Abt. 1666; m. SMITH.

iv. MARY BAILEY, b. Abt. 1668; m. SMITH.

v. JAMES WILLIAM BAILEY, b. Abt. 1670.

Any information on House or Family is appreciated...

Re: Stephen Bailey who built the Great House

Cathy Bailey-Wilcher (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 11:57PM GMT
can you please tell me more information about the Bailey great house. I have found General Lee's house in the same area that you say the Bailey Great House is. I am very interested in what & how you received your information.

I am a decendent from Stephen Bailey b 1620/30 in England & married Ann Jeffres Walker. Would love to share info with you.

Cathy

Posted: 29 Jun 2009 3:52PM GMT
I am replying to a decade old entry, but history remains unchanged.

When researching this Bailey family, there are a couple of sources that show this Stephen Bailey of Va as married to a Walker lady of Mass., daughter of a Mayflower passenger!

The Walker woman is born and died in Ma. The Bailey gentleman born and died in Va. I would say such a match is unlikely, and you wonder what people who stick such stuff online are thinking.

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 3:13PM GMT
They are thinking about as much as those who posted that Stephen (I)'s son, Stephen was born in 1687 in Fauquier County, when the county was not even formed until the 1750's.

Posted: 21 Oct 2010 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: BAILEY
I can give you most anything you want. I have been working on them for the last two weeks - original research - on the Baileys of Kinsale to about 1830. Great House is alive and well in the Bailey (now Headley-Bailey) family here in Kinsale. It was rebuilt by Robert Bailey in the late 1820's after having been burned or damaged by the British in 1813. Baileys were there from about 1665 - 1778; then returned in 1827.

Feel free to email me ewhite9159@gmail.com

Posted: 30 Apr 2011 11:43PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 23 Feb 2013 9:17PM GMT

Posted: 2 May 2011 7:02PM GMT
Some years ago a genealogist wrote a book on the Bailey-Brittain family. It is on AncCom. In it he agreed there is no proof of any ancestors of Stephen Bailey. I agree. Some family trees on the internet list a Bailey in St. Olav Parish, London who is claimed to be the father, then they list SB as having been born in Glocestershire, which simply does not compute. One similarity of name does not a link make.

After eight months of work on primary sources: wills, deeds, patents, fiduciary records and surveys, I can say sadly that SB never lived in the Great House. He first lived right across a cove on the Walker land of his wife Mary, then was deeded land to the southwest of the Great House where he lived when he died in 1697. That land stayed in the family until 1778. It also adjoins the Great House. SB's third great grandson Robert bought the Great House property in 1827-28 and built the present house. Prior to that the chain of title to the property was unbroken back to the 1650's patent with no Baileys involved. This has not led me to be very popular here in Kinsale. Stephen Bailey never received a land patent either.

I just tweaked my Bailey site post at http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~baileyva. it is fully documented.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 12:59PM GMT
hi my name is Richard Bailey I am decendent from Stephen Bailey he was my 7th grandfather I recently joined aqncestry .com I have 2 more grandfathers beyond Stephen his father was also Stephen and so was his grandfather wictch came across the ocean on one of the ships not sure witch one I would like to talk some more about him I will have to go to my tree to get more details if you are interested please contact me email I guess that means we are related to

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 2:06PM GMT
Since I cannot contact you without a subscription, I suggest you email me at ewhite9159@gmail.com. I have an extensive, fully documented file on the Baileys of Westmoreland County and would be glad to share it.

My tree should come up on http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=baileyva If it does not, go to Google and enter "RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Baileys in the Northern Neck of ..."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions