Search for content in message boards

Dunnes of Bogtown, Dereen and Bracknagh

Dunnes of Bogtown, Dereen and Bracknagh

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dunne, Watson, Fennell, Young, Brierton, Farrell,
I am looking for any information on the Dunne families living in Bogtown, Dereen, and Bracknagh County offaly, Ireland in the late 19th and early 20th century.

In the 1901 census it shows four families living in Bogtown and Dereen and as they are such small hamlets, its possible the families could all have been related.

The families in Bogtown in 1901 are:
- Patrick Dunne born 1826 (Farmer) Bridget born 1841 (Wife) Michael born 1881 (son)
- Mary Dunne born 1855 (Widow, Farmer);James born 1878 (Son); Bridget born 1887 (Daughter).
- Daniel Dunne born 1855 (agricultral Labourer); Bridget born 1856 (wife); Daniel born 1885 (Son); Denis born 1887 (Son); Antony born 1891 (Son); Elizabeth born 1895 (Daughter). I beleive there is also another son John my great grandfather known as 'Jack the Kite' born in 1886, who was not at home when the census took place, he married Winifred Young in Blackburn, England in 1914, where he was serving in the Irish Guards, they both returned to Bogtown, Offaly, in the 1920's.

The family in Dereen in 1901 was:
John Dunne born 1847 (farmer); Anne born 1858 (Wife); Catherine born 1856 (sister)

I am also looking for any information on Jenny Dunne born about 1895 from Bracknagh, Near Portarlington who married Thomas Watson believed to be from Athlone around 1920. They had two children Annie and Thomas, I believe Annie my grandmother was born in Liverpool in 1923, but I have been unable to trace her birth certificate, so she could have been born in the Bracknagh area, where she went to school. Thomas her brother returned to Liverpool at about the age of 17, married and had at least two children, he was a postman at some point in his career, but my grandmother never saw him again after he left for England.

Jenny had two sisters that we know of Mabel whom we believe married a Brierton and a Farrell and Elizabeth whom I have no details on.

I have Dunne's on both sides of my Grandparents James Dunne & Annie's Watsons families so any information on any of the above that could help me piece together the puzzle, would be much appreciated.

Re: Dunnes of Bogtown, Dereen and Bracknagh

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 6:44PM GMT
I am looking for the parents of my grandmother Bridget M. Dunne. She was born in Tullamore I believe in May of 1874.
She came to Connecticut in 1894 on the Teutonic and married George Odlum in 1900. Would love to hear any leads. Thanks.

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 8:03PM GMT
Tullamore is only about 10 miles away so its not impossible that there could be a connection, but there is a lot of Dunne's in the area, and Bridget is a very popular female name. Do you have any other information on your Bridget, if the parents are unknown, do you know names of any brothers or sisters? Let me know and I will keep my eye out for her.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 10:29AM GMT
I am also looking for any info on my gggrandmother, Elizabeth Dunne, who married Thomas Troy approx 1837 - first children were born in Lackaroe, Kinnitty Parish. Remainder were born in Birr. They lived on Newbridge St. Children were Mary, Catherine, Daniel, John, and Thomas. Daniel, John and Thomas emigrated to Phila., PA in 1868.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 10:43AM GMT
THE ONLY CLUES I HAVE ARE THE NAMES JOSEPH AND MARTIN. MY PARENTS VISITED MY FATHER'S COUSIN MARTIN SEVERAL YEARS AGO ON A TRIP TO TULLAMORE AND THEY TOOK A PICTURE OF A GRAVE FOR A JOSEPH DUNNE BORN 1868, D. 1949 WHOSE WIFE?/ ELIZA JANE D. 1960 AGE 72. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN IN HAWKSWOOD, KILLEIGH. BRIDGET'S (MY GRANDMOTHER MARRIED TO GEORGE ODLUM) FIRST BORN WAS JIMMY AND SECOND SON WAS NAMED JOSEPH. BRIDGET'S ONLY DAUGHTER WAS NAMED MARY.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: Watson, Dunne, Phythian
I am planning a trip to Tullamore to see my family later in the year and do some fact finding of my own so I will keep hold of your info and let you know if I come accross anything.

I have an update on my Jenny Watson nee Dunne - I have received her death certificate and she appears to have been born in County Kildare on 16 May 1895 and re-married a Frank Phythian in Liverpool at some point before 1984.

My Grandmother Annie Dunne nee Watson definatly went to school in Bracknagh near Portarlington, Co Offaly and it seems that Jenny's sister Mable also lived in that area as she told my uncle about Jennys death, so it looks like the family moved from Kildare to Bracknagh when my Great Grandmother was quite young.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Dunne
I know its a long shot but would you keep your ears open for the Dunnes from Kilbride
Richard Dunne married Mary Brien (sometimes spelled Bryan)
in Tullamore RC parish 6 Oct 1843. Children baptized:

Bridget 4 Feb 1845
Mary 30 Nov 1846
John 9 Dec 1847
Connor 7 Jan 1850
Richard 13 July 1853
Margaret 18 Sept 1854
James 13 Dec 1856
Winifred 2 March 1859
Richard 14 April 1861
Daniel 4 Oct 1863

Bridget Connor James and Daniel emigrated but the rest may have married in Kilbride I have no records of them . The Griffiths valuation book 1863 Shows a transfer of # 7 in Kilbride from Richard Dunne to Mathew Houghran, And a transfer to Richard of bldgs 1, 2a and 4

Holding 1 from Thomas Daly
Holding 2a a house from John Walsh
Holding 4 land owned by John Walsh

The 1864 valuation shows Richard's name crossed out and Michael Dunne is the occupier of the house and the land transfered to Patrick Byrne Thats where the trail ends I can find no further records Any clue would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 11:23AM GMT
Surnames: Dunne
As I have Dunne's on all sides of my fathers family - I will be keeping my eye out for all Dunne's in the area, as I don't know at this stage who is related. So I will let you know if I come accross anything. If you could do the same and let me know if you find anything during your research on the Dunne familes in Bogtown, Dereen (Nr Cloneygowan) or Bracknagh (Nr Portalington)it would be much appreciated.
Thanks Tricia

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 9:34PM GMT
I am putting the Baptismal record of the tullamore RC parish 1840-1850 on an excell spread sheet for all the Dunn Dunne names as a parent or sponser. It is slow going and the film is in terrible condition But if you would like a copy I will send it. I figure on a spread sheet I can sort the names and see if I can begin to get a handle on the Dunn/esof the area

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 10:10PM GMT
I would love to see that. Thank you. Maybe it will give me some clues. Brenda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic