Search for content in message boards

John Maxwell and Nancy Boles family of Campbell Co, Kentucky

John Maxwell and Nancy Boles family of Campbell Co, Kentucky

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 5:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maxwell, Boles, Bowles, Fulton, Acklin, Dolson, Truer, Proctor, Graden, Wirl, Hawley, Straube, Parrish
Does anyone have any information on the family of John Maxwell and Nancy Boles living in Alexandria, Campbell Co, Kentucky. John Maxwell was born abt 1775 in Alexandria(?) or possibly Pennsylvania(?)...John's father may have been "William"? Nancy Boles was born abt 1777 in Pennsylvania(?) and was the daughter of Henry Boles and Martha Fulton.

John and Nancy (Boles) Maxwell's children (I don't know the birth order but have found these marriage records from Alexandria, Campbell Co, Kentucky:
1) Martha Maxwell to David Acklin 11 Nov 1817-bond-John Maxwell
2) William Maxwell to Harriet Dolson 20 June 1823-bond-John Raredon
3) Mary Mawell to 1) Daniel H. Trucese (sic)(should be Truer) 17 Aug 1822; and 2) Mary Truer to William Proctor 9 May 1825 (date of bond-they were married on 10 May 1825)-bond-William Maxwell
4) Matilda Maxwell to George Graden 27 Feb 1820-bond-John Maxwell
5) John B. Maxwell to Almira Wirl 29 January 1834-bond by William Hawley-who made oath that Almira was his sister-in-law and that she lived with him and that her mother gave consent (Note: I believe that John B. had a previous marriage to 'Unknown' wife prior to 1830, in 1830 census Morgan Co, Ind. with wife and 3 children under age 5; and a subsequent marriage after death(?) of Almira, in Morgan Co, Ind censuses he is married to "Catherine" born in NC)
6) Cynthia Maxwell to Nicholas A. Straube 11 Oct 1831-bond John Maxwell
7) Rebecca Maxwell to Elisha Parrish 18 Mar 1837-bond-William M. Newman
8) Elizabeth "Betsey" Ann Maxwell to William Maxwell 19 June 1836-bond-John Maxwell

From other family trees there is also shown as a child, David H. Maxwell...but I don't know if he is a child of John and Nancy. I think that he is a Maxwell family relation.

Also from other family trees many list John Maxwell's date of death as 1827 (Campbell Co, KY?) and Nancy (Boles) Maxwell's date of death as 1864 (Campbell Co, KY?)

The one Maxwell 'story' item that has been passed down through the generations is from my ggGrandmother Mary Ellen (Clarkson) Kibbe's writings in late 1890's when writing about the Proctor family. She wrote this "Mrs. Proctor's [Mary Mawell's] grandmother, Maggie [Martha] Boles was a sister of Robert Fulton, inventor of the first steamboad. Her [Mary Mawell's] grandfather Maxwell was killes by the Indians, his wife escaping by hiding in a hollow log. Her two sisters, although scalped, managed to crawl toa boat and thus save their lives."

I don't know if the aforementioned is just a story or fact.

Would appreciate sharing any information.

Thank you. Kim Fairchild

Re: John Maxwell and Nancy Boles family of Campbell Co, Kentucky

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: William Maxwell and Elizabeth Maxwell
Our family tree is through William and Elizabeth Maxwell. We have a similar story regarding the father Maxwell being killed by indians. Our story describes that the children survived by hiding in the hollow log. They also talk about the family bible being hidden, then split in to, one half to the boy, the other to the girl. The half to the boy was in my family possesion until around 1980. It did not contain the birth records, the other girls half did. No one here knows what happened to the girls half.

Re: John Maxwell and Nancy Boles family of Campbell Co, Kentucky

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: Maxwell, Procter
Hi Bob,

Thank you for sharing the story and the information on the family bible. Have you been able to find information as to the 'elder' William Maxwell? This is one of my brick walls. My ggGrandmother was living at the time that her Grandmother Mary (Maxwell) Truer Procter was living and most likely wrote down the story from her Grandmother's telling of it. Would love to be able to go back another generation on the family tree.

Thank you!
Kim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions