Search for content in message boards

George W. Sanders-Mississippi

George W. Sanders-Mississippi

Posted: 19 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2006 5:49AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Gann
I have information on the decendents of George W. Sanders, who lived in Winston County Mississippi circa 1830-1850. I am searching his ancestry, and would like to exchange information.

George W. Sanders

Posted: 28 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2002 9:09PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders
Ben,
Was your George married to Elizabeth Yancey? My George B:1825 was married to Elizabeth Yancey. Had a son John Washington Sanders B:1855. I don't know if my George was from Mississippi or not but I do have family from there. All of John Children were born in Tennessee. If we connect, please email me. Thanks for you time

Re: George W. Sanders

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 1:14PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2001 2:05AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders Yancey/Yancy, Jones, Goforth
Hi Sharon - we've got a match! Here's what I have...
George Washington Sanders (1825-1883) married twice.
First wife = Elizabeth Frances Yancey (m. 1843, Shelby Co.,TN) - their children were: Sarah, William H., Martha Bell G., Eujene T, Millie A.E.J, John Washington (my great-grandfather), Mark, Minerva, Laura.
Second wife = Caroline Elizabeth Thorton (widow of James Nelson, who died during the Civil War). George & Caroline's children were: Carrie, Nannie Floyd, Della and Robert Wheeler. GW and Elizabeth were in the 1850 Panola Co. (MS) and 1860 Tippah Co (MS). GW and Caroline are in the 1870 Shelby Co., TN Census: District 13, p. 344. I haven't found GW in the 1880 census (so far). I found a notation for George and Caroline graves (but haven't laid eyes on the site myself):
Source: Gravestone Inscriptions from Shelby County, Tennessee Cemeteries, Vol.1 (1971, Elam):

Oakville Methodist Church (Forest Chapel) Cemetery:
corner of Democrat and Oakville Drive; behind Oakville School on Lamar (this is off I-240 in Memphis)

G.W. SANDERS
- December 25, 1825
- March 21, 1883 (Footstone GWS)

Caroline E.
Wife of G.W. SANDERS
- Sept. 10, 1842
- Dec. 20, 1878 (Footstone CES)
=============
My grandfather was Ollie Jesse Sanders (son of John Washington Sanders and Minerva Alice Jones)

Hope this helps a little!
Rose-Anne

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 2:05PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2002 9:09PM GMT
Rose-Ann, Thanks for the reply and you're right we have a match. Do you know who George's parents were? I had no idea George was in Panola County, I still have family there.I have a Probate Court Record from Shelby County. This list several family members including Gertrude Sanders widow of Ollie Jesse Sanders. Is this your grandmother. My great grandfather was Willietts Rufus Sanders married Ellen Cordelia Johnson. I have more information to share with you if you are interested. Let me know your interested. Thanks Sharon

Edward Joseph Sanders, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2001 4:00PM GMT
George Washington Sanders is my great-great grandfather. John Washington Sanders is my great-grandfather. My grandfather was John Booker Sanders and my father is Edward Joseph Sanders, SR. If you have any information, esp. who George Washington Sanders parents were, it would be greatly appreciated.
Joe

Posted: 23 Jul 2001 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Yancey, Martin
No, I wish I knew, Joe. The 1850 Panola Co. MS Census (North, District 13, p340) does have a "Susan J. Sanders, age 15" -- ?possibly George's sister? -- living with George and Elizabeth (Yancey). Now, If we could find a marriage license for her... <smile>.

By the way, my grandparents were Ollie Jesse and Gertrude (Martin) Sanders. My mother speaks highly of your dad and grandfather <smile>

Rose-Anne

Posted: 23 Jul 2001 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Martin, Yancey/Yancy
Sharon, I wish someone would claim George W. as their son -- no luck so far <smile>. There was a "Susan J. Sanders" enumerated with George and Elizabeth in the 1850 Panola Co. census (North, District 13, p340) - that's as close as I've come so far. I did find a federal land patent for a "George Washington Sanders of DeSoto County" for lands in Tate County, dated May 17, 1847. You can search the Bureau Of Land Management - General Land Office Records online:
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/search.asp
Scroll down to the bottom of the search page and enter the Accession Nr: MS (from drop-down menu)3140__.433

If that *is* our George Washington Sanders (he's indexed as "George W. Sanders") -- then he floated around all over North MS (DeSoto, Tippah, Tate, Panola) <smile>.

Yes, I am the grandchild of Ollie Jesse and Gertrude (Martin) Sanders. An aunt gave me a copy of that probate document (ca. 1940) covering John Washington Sanders' estate -- we're certainly NOT from a small family! <smile>.

I'd love to compare notes with you sometime!

Thanks,
Rose-Anne

Edward Joseph Sanders, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2001 8:52PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. My father also speaks highly of Ollie & Gertrude. I will let you know if I learn anything new.
Joe Sanders

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders
Hello all,
I am researching my family line and I am descended from GW's son John W and his son John Elzey. (I'm one of George's gggg-granddaughters). Obviously this board is very old, but if any of you are still around please message me because I would love to learn more.

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 2:40AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Jones, West
Yes, we're still around (different email); so nice to see others are still searching!

I'm descended from George Washington Sanders (1825-1883) through John Washington Sanders (1856-1921) and his second wife, Minerva Alice Jones. John Washington Sanders was first married to Martha Ellen West (John Elzey's mother).

Would love to share information with you!

Thanks,
Rose-Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions