Search for content in message boards

Man's first name Fountain

Man's first name Fountain

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 6:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have three males from two separate families in my tree with the first name Fountain. Two are father and son but one is another family altogether. I cannot find any evidence that these men were named after another family name or surname. All were during the 1800s, one early, two late.

I thought this was such an unusual name so I tried to find out where it came from. No luck in "googling." But surprisingly, when I searched ancestry.com for "Fountain" in census records, there were quite a few Fountains as first names for men in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Where did this name come from, why did it seem to be fairly popular in this era? Anyone else with this first name in their family trees?

Re: Man's first name Fountain

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 10:07AM GMT
My usual language is french
However, looking at very old time, ancient civilizations was practicing good adorations, unless greek adoring man's representations of goods, celtic were adoring nature, like the representation of flowers, limbs, stones and so (this was the major guides for artistic feelings of Celtic. Other way the natural environnement was invitating or disturbing, one of the invitation was water fountain, because of the clearness of fountain, the healths benefit of clear and non polluted water. So Celtic people were used to live close too a fountain and people name was fountain. More later after the Roman greek period, roman accept the JC religions or catholic if you prefer. Catholic preach tried to capture the benefit of fountain by binding a Saint name to the fountain to make it a sacred place and/or pélérinage place.
This is the origine explanation of the name that large population carried.
Best

Re: Man's first name Fountain

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 2:07PM GMT
Thanks. That seems to be a good explanation.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions