Search for content in message boards

Kosberg

Kosberg

Turid Hagen (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kosberg
I search for ancestors after Anna and Hans Kosberg lived in Vancouver. They had a son Asbjorn. He and he's vife Dorothy had 5 children. I think too of their children are still alive.There was a familytragedie in 1960-1970's.Nearly all of them became killed. Do you know something about it? Regards from Turid.

Kosberg

Dianne Skinner (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
I've found info regarding the Kosberg family from searching the BC Archives Death Registration Index http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca under Vital Events Death Registrations and found the following Dorothy (mother), children Gayle, Vincent, Marianne,Barry and Osborne "Asbjorn" (father) all died between Dec 10 to Dec 19, 1965.
Hans died Oct 24, 1951 and Anna Marie died May 27, 1977. If you should require either Death registrations or obituaries (newspaper articles etc.) please contact the Victoria Genealogical Society, PO Box 45031, Mayfair Postal Outlet, Victoria, BC V8Z 7G9 for more information.
E-mail vgs@islandnet.com or check out the website http://www.islandnet.com/~vgs/
Yours in Genealogy
Dianne Skinner
Queries Co-ordinator
Victoria Genealogical Society

Re: Kosberg

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 1:33PM GMT
In December 1965, their eldest son Thomas put sleeping pills in the chocolate milk shakes he'd made for the family. A visiting friend chose to leave, despite the offer to spend the night. Feeling exceedingly tired she called a taxi and went home. When his father arrived home from work Thomas gave him a chocolate shake laced with sleeping pills When the family was asleep Thomas went downstairs and took his father's double bladed axe. He used the axe to kill his siblings and parents.
When the police kicked the door in they found 13 year old Mary-Ann critically injured,her father was barely alive and died of his injuries either enroute or shortly after arriving at hospital. Mary-Ann succumbed to her injuries several days after her parents and siblings had died.
Both Mary-Ann and her father hadn't had a high enough doseage of the sleeping pills as Mary-Ann didn't trust Thomas and had drank very little of the milk shake. Her father arriving home from work was a big man and needed a larger dose than he'd got, also the fact that he hadn't been asleep as long woke him to Mary-Ann's screams. Despite being injured they both fought back. Fearing the noise would alert neighbours Thomas took the family car and headed to the home of the psychiatrist who had treated him in the past. The psychiatrist called the police who kicked in the door. Seventeen year old Thomas was tried and found to be criminally insane. He was sentenced to live in a hospital for the mentally ill for life. I don't know if he is still alive or not.
He had tried to smother the baby but was unsuccessful, the baby was taken by relatives who raised him as their own. If memory serves me correctly they planned on changing the
babies name as they didn't want him traumatized by what had happened to his family.
This is a brief summary, Mary-Ann was my friend and the events occured when I was a child. You really don't want to know all the details. Those that removed the bodies and tried to save Mary-Ann were traumatized by what they saw.
I am sorry to have to tell you the terrible story of their deaths.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:12PM GMT
This is such a sad story. I wondered what happened to the brother and googled his name. He was apparently released in 1977 -- only 12 years later.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1951&dat=19770918&...

If the link doesn't work, then just put "thomas kosberg released" in the google search bar.

The family is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery, in Burnaby, BC. I went down on the weekend and left them flowers.

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 3:12AM GMT
Hi
I too went to school with Marianne Kosberg. This is a true tragedy, but just to clear up the story about the baby, Vincent, he also died of his wounds. You can find this information in the BC Archives. Very disturbed to hear that Thomas was released. Where is he now?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic