Jane Sween wrote a "History of Dawsonville and Seneca" which is located at the Montgomery County Historical Society. It mentions many homes and families that lived in Dawsonville and Seneca. The Peter/s family is one of them. Here is what is writen - yes, David Peter is mentioned... be patient... Dawsonville, Maryland is not far from Darnestown, Maryland. I'm not sure that this "David Peter" is the one you are looking for, and can't tell WHAT you are looking for.
Â“MontevideoÂ” (name of the house)
The land on which this house was built was part of the old grant Â“ConclusionÂ” which was patented in 1731 to Daniel Dulany, the Elder. During the Revolutionary War the land was confiscated because the owner, Daniel Dulany, Jr., remained a Loyalist. Records show that the land was sold on October 25, 1781.
This tract came into the possession of Thomas Peter of Georgetown in 1812. when he received it from the estate of his father Robert Peter. The deed of partition, dated June 20, 1812, states that Lot #1 Â“bought from Zachariah Ellis, containing 332 acresÂ” was drawn by Thomas Peter.
Thomas Peter was the son on Robert and Elizabeth (Scott) Peter. Robert had emigrated from Scotland, settles in Georgetown where he was the first mayor and was in the import-export business, first serving as a factor for the firm of John Glassford & Co.
On January 6, 1795, Thomas Peter married Martha Parke Custis, the granddaughter of Martha Washington. At the time that Thomas Peter acquired the Â“MontevideoÂ” tract, he and his family were living at 2618 K Street in Georgetown, but about 1815 they moved to Â“Tudor Place.Â” They also had a summer home Â“OaklandsÂ” not far from the site of Â“MontevideoÂ” although the exact location is no longer known.
Thomas and Martha Parke (Custis) Peter had eight children:
1- Martha Eliza Peter
b. Jan. 20, 1796; d. Sept. 10, 1800
2- Columbis Washington Peter
b. Feb. 2, 1797; unm.; d. Dec. 3, 1821
3- John Parke Custis Peter
b. Nov. 14, 1799 (See below)
4- George Washington Peter
b. Nov. 18, 1801; m. Feb. 4, 1840 to Jane Boyce; d. Dec. 10, 1877
5- America Pinkney Peter
b. Oct. 12, 1803; m. June 22, 1826 to William G. Williams; d. Apr. 25, 1842; She met him when he was an aid to Lafayette during the MarquiseÂ’s visit in 1824 and they were entertained at Â“Tudor place.Â” Capt. Williams was chief of engineers on Gen. Zachary TaylorÂ’s staff and was killed at the Battle of Monterey.
6- Robert Thomas Peter
b. Nov. 7, 1806; d. Oct. 5, 1807
7- Martha Custis Peter
b. Oct. 5, 1808; d. Apr. 5, 1809
8- Britannia Peter
b. Jan. 27, 1815; m. Dec. 8, 1842 to Comm. Beverley Kennon, USN who was killed in the explosion on the Â“Princeton;Â” d. Jan. 25, 1910. She was a bridesmaid for her cousin at the Custis-Lee wedding. For a while she lived with her husband at the Navy Yard where he was stationed as the chief of the Bureau of Construction and Equipment. After his death in February 1844, she returned with her infant daughter to Â“Tudor PlaceÂ” where she lived until her death at the age of 96.
Thomas Peter died on April 16, 1834 and is buried in the family plot behind Â“MontevideoÂ” as is his wife who died on July 13, 1854. There is the story that Martha Custis Peter, having died in Georgetown, was brought up River Road in her casket. Since it was dark when the journey ended, she was buried by torchlight. She had sworn never to enter the house again since her daughter-in-law had remarried so quickly to Rev. Charles Nourse.
Â“MontevideoÂ” was built for their son, John Parke Custis Peter. He had married Elizabeth Jane Henderson, daughter of James Henderson of Williamsburg, VA, on February 2, 1830. They had lived with his parents at Â“Tudor Place.Â” Â“MontevideoÂ” was built as their summer home but later became their year-round residence. The house is believed to have been completed in 1830, the date verified by a penciled note on a board of the dining room window sill found during some repair work. It read:
Nov. 1 st 1830
Washington Peter, dr
to 46 feet pine plank
to 36 feet do do
H. Connar 3 days Board
Snipe 11 days Board
This indicates that John P.C. PeterÂ’s brother, George Washington Peter, was supervising the work since he had a home nearby. The house is similar to Â“Tudor Place.Â” The walls are two feet thick and made of local red sandstone quarried on Peter land. The outside is stucco and painted white. The plan of the house uses a central hall which is typical of the Maryland and Virginia homes of the period. Originally there were dependencies in the yard. A local lady, Mrs. Charles Allnutt, described them:
Â“In a grove of trees between the house and burying ground was a two-room school building in which the children of the Peter family were tutored. The slave quarters were built of native stone and were separate from the mansion which was surrounded with beautiful shrubbery and choice fruit trees.Â”
John Parke Custis and Elizabeth Jane (Henderson) Peter had nine children:
1- Sarah Elizabeth Peter
b. Feb. 11, 1831 (See #50)
2- Thomas Peter
b. Mar. 6, 1834 (See #48)
3- Martha Custis Peter
b. Sept. 12, 1836; m. July 19, 1855 in Loudoun Co., VA by her step-father Rev. Charles Nourse to Archibald C. Gibbs; d. 1910
4- David Peter
b. July 18, 1837; d. Aug. 13, 18
5- John Parke Peter
b. Mar. 5, 1839; m. Feb. 20, 1866 to Lucy Pollard Roberts; d. Mar. 5, 1904
6- James Henderson Peter
b. Jan. 24, 1841; unm.; d. Oct. 7, 1860 from a fall from his horse.
7- Jane Peter
b. July 24, 1842; m. to James H. McMurren; d. _____
8- Britannia Kennon Peter
b. Apr. 4,1844; m. to John B. Stannard; d. _____
John Parke Custis Peter became a prominent citizen of the county. His interest in farming lead to his becoming president of the Montgomery County Agricultural Society. Then, suddenly, on January 19, 1849, at the age of 49, John P.C. Peter died of lockjaw, the result of a rusty nail in his finger. He too is buried in the family plot behind the house.
In the Peter household was a tutor for the children, Charles Howard Nourse. He was born on December 1, 1816 in Washington, D.C., the son of Michael and Mary (Rittenhouse) Nourse. Michael Nourse was the youngest brother of Joseph Nourse who had come from Philadelphia to Washington with the new Federal government as the first clerk of the Treasury.
Charles H. Nourse graduated from Jefferson College in Pennsylvania in 1835. Returning to Washington, he and his brother founded Rittenhouse Academy, a private school for boys on Indiana Avenue. He was also an ordained Presbyterian minister. He became a teacher at the Rockville Academy and while there met and married Maria Robertson, daughter of William and Harriet (Cooke) Robertson of Montgomery County. They had two children.