Search for content in message boards

PEARRE family

PEARRE family

Anita (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PEARRE, PETER, WORTHINGTON
For Montgomery County post

I'm trying to do two things: 1) find the full name of Mr. Pearre who married Ann Custis Peter (early to mid 1900s) and
2) find the descendants of George A. Pearre and his wife Mary Worthington (married early to mid 1800's).

Does anyone have any links/info to share?

Peter

Al Peters (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Peter, Peters
My Grandmother was named Lavinia R. Peter, died in 1958 or
so, was married to David Peter. My father legally added the
's' to surname, unknown when. Children of Lavinia include:
Ina, Sydney, Reggie, and Alton (1904-1981). More children
but I'll get their names later. All were raised in the area
of Darnestown about 1900 and later Lavinia lived in
Rockville and all are buried there, except David who is
buried in gaithersburg.

Peter Family of Georgetown, DC

Posted: 7 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2003 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: Peter, Pearre, Custis
The Peter family which you are in search of resided in one
of Georgetown's most historic houses, Tudor Place. It is
now the property of the National Trust for Historic Preser-
vation and is open to the public as a museum.

A direct descendant of the Peter family is Peter Pearre,
an architect who lives at Union Bridge, MD. You may wish
to contact him or the staff at Tudor Place for further
information. The Georgetown Public Library will have ex-
tensive data on this family as the original Mrs.Peter was Martha Washington's granddaughter, born Custis. As I am
required by rootsweb to mention Montgomery County, MD, I
do so but reluctantly.

Cheers! David Reed in Washington

George A

Posted: 3 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 1:03AM GMT
I have no information except that he was born Abt. 1819, the son of William Pearre and Catherine Maria Springer, married November 12, 1816. I am a descendant of George A's Sister Caroline Virginia Pearre. If you have any additional information, I would be interested in knowing what you have found. There is a family cemetary behind the Comus Inn in Comus that has a number of Pearres buried in it. It is easily accessable several minutes from I-270.

Regards
Fletch

Some Peter family information

Anne Allnutt (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Allnutt, Thomas, Baker, Dawson, Jones, White
Jane Sween wrote a "History of Dawsonville and Seneca" which is located at the Montgomery County Historical Society. It mentions many homes and families that lived in Dawsonville and Seneca. The Peter/s family is one of them. Here is what is writen - yes, David Peter is mentioned... be patient... Dawsonville, Maryland is not far from Darnestown, Maryland. I'm not sure that this "David Peter" is the one you are looking for, and can't tell WHAT you are looking for.

“Montevideo” (name of the house)
The land on which this house was built was part of the old grant “Conclusion” which was patented in 1731 to Daniel Dulany, the Elder. During the Revolutionary War the land was confiscated because the owner, Daniel Dulany, Jr., remained a Loyalist. Records show that the land was sold on October 25, 1781.
This tract came into the possession of Thomas Peter of Georgetown in 1812. when he received it from the estate of his father Robert Peter. The deed of partition, dated June 20, 1812, states that Lot #1 “bought from Zachariah Ellis, containing 332 acres” was drawn by Thomas Peter.
Thomas Peter was the son on Robert and Elizabeth (Scott) Peter. Robert had emigrated from Scotland, settles in Georgetown where he was the first mayor and was in the import-export business, first serving as a factor for the firm of John Glassford & Co.
On January 6, 1795, Thomas Peter married Martha Parke Custis, the granddaughter of Martha Washington. At the time that Thomas Peter acquired the “Montevideo” tract, he and his family were living at 2618 K Street in Georgetown, but about 1815 they moved to “Tudor Place.” They also had a summer home “Oaklands” not far from the site of “Montevideo” although the exact location is no longer known.
Thomas and Martha Parke (Custis) Peter had eight children:

1- Martha Eliza Peter
b. Jan. 20, 1796; d. Sept. 10, 1800

2- Columbis Washington Peter
b. Feb. 2, 1797; unm.; d. Dec. 3, 1821

3- John Parke Custis Peter
b. Nov. 14, 1799 (See below)

4- George Washington Peter
b. Nov. 18, 1801; m. Feb. 4, 1840 to Jane Boyce; d. Dec. 10, 1877

5- America Pinkney Peter
b. Oct. 12, 1803; m. June 22, 1826 to William G. Williams; d. Apr. 25, 1842; She met him when he was an aid to Lafayette during the Marquise’s visit in 1824 and they were entertained at “Tudor place.” Capt. Williams was chief of engineers on Gen. Zachary Taylor’s staff and was killed at the Battle of Monterey.

6- Robert Thomas Peter
b. Nov. 7, 1806; d. Oct. 5, 1807

7- Martha Custis Peter
b. Oct. 5, 1808; d. Apr. 5, 1809

8- Britannia Peter
b. Jan. 27, 1815; m. Dec. 8, 1842 to Comm. Beverley Kennon, USN who was killed in the explosion on the “Princeton;” d. Jan. 25, 1910. She was a bridesmaid for her cousin at the Custis-Lee wedding. For a while she lived with her husband at the Navy Yard where he was stationed as the chief of the Bureau of Construction and Equipment. After his death in February 1844, she returned with her infant daughter to “Tudor Place” where she lived until her death at the age of 96.
Thomas Peter died on April 16, 1834 and is buried in the family plot behind “Montevideo” as is his wife who died on July 13, 1854. There is the story that Martha Custis Peter, having died in Georgetown, was brought up River Road in her casket. Since it was dark when the journey ended, she was buried by torchlight. She had sworn never to enter the house again since her daughter-in-law had remarried so quickly to Rev. Charles Nourse.
“Montevideo” was built for their son, John Parke Custis Peter. He had married Elizabeth Jane Henderson, daughter of James Henderson of Williamsburg, VA, on February 2, 1830. They had lived with his parents at “Tudor Place.” “Montevideo” was built as their summer home but later became their year-round residence. The house is believed to have been completed in 1830, the date verified by a penciled note on a board of the dining room window sill found during some repair work. It read:
Nov. 1 st 1830
Washington Peter, dr
to 46 feet pine plank
to 36 feet do do
H. Connar 3 days Board
Snipe 11 days Board
This indicates that John P.C. Peter’s brother, George Washington Peter, was supervising the work since he had a home nearby. The house is similar to “Tudor Place.” The walls are two feet thick and made of local red sandstone quarried on Peter land. The outside is stucco and painted white. The plan of the house uses a central hall which is typical of the Maryland and Virginia homes of the period. Originally there were dependencies in the yard. A local lady, Mrs. Charles Allnutt, described them:
“In a grove of trees between the house and burying ground was a two-room school building in which the children of the Peter family were tutored. The slave quarters were built of native stone and were separate from the mansion which was surrounded with beautiful shrubbery and choice fruit trees.”
John Parke Custis and Elizabeth Jane (Henderson) Peter had nine children:

1- Sarah Elizabeth Peter
b. Feb. 11, 1831 (See #50)

2- Thomas Peter
b. Mar. 6, 1834 (See #48)

3- Martha Custis Peter
b. Sept. 12, 1836; m. July 19, 1855 in Loudoun Co., VA by her step-father Rev. Charles Nourse to Archibald C. Gibbs; d. 1910

4- David Peter
b. July 18, 1837; d. Aug. 13, 18

5- John Parke Peter
b. Mar. 5, 1839; m. Feb. 20, 1866 to Lucy Pollard Roberts; d. Mar. 5, 1904

6- James Henderson Peter
b. Jan. 24, 1841; unm.; d. Oct. 7, 1860 from a fall from his horse.

7- Jane Peter
b. July 24, 1842; m. to James H. McMurren; d. _____

8- Britannia Kennon Peter
b. Apr. 4,1844; m. to John B. Stannard; d. _____
John Parke Custis Peter became a prominent citizen of the county. His interest in farming lead to his becoming president of the Montgomery County Agricultural Society. Then, suddenly, on January 19, 1849, at the age of 49, John P.C. Peter died of lockjaw, the result of a rusty nail in his finger. He too is buried in the family plot behind the house.
In the Peter household was a tutor for the children, Charles Howard Nourse. He was born on December 1, 1816 in Washington, D.C., the son of Michael and Mary (Rittenhouse) Nourse. Michael Nourse was the youngest brother of Joseph Nourse who had come from Philadelphia to Washington with the new Federal government as the first clerk of the Treasury.
Charles H. Nourse graduated from Jefferson College in Pennsylvania in 1835. Returning to Washington, he and his brother founded Rittenhouse Academy, a private school for boys on Indiana Avenue. He was also an ordained Presbyterian minister. He became a teacher at the Rockville Academy and while there met and married Maria Robertson, daughter of William and Harriet (Cooke) Robertson of Montgomery County. They had two children.

Joshua Pearre... MD,..TN...Rev War

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: PEARRE, BEALL, WOODWARD, ARNOLD, SAWYER, HULME, HOBBS
Joshua PEARRE was my 4th greatfather from Montgomery Co.,MD. Born: 22 DEC 1757 Maryland, died: 09 OCT 1847 Williamson, Co., TN. He was in the REV WAR. Then m: and moved to Williamson Co., TN.
Was William PEARRE any relation to Joshua PEARRE?
There are four people from TN, doing a family search on the Pearre/Perry name.
My 3rd Great grandfather was Joshua W. PEARRE I.
He was in the War of 1812 with Andrew Jackson.
The spelling of our name was changed in this line, Joshua W. PEARRE II my great grandfather, or my Grandfather Dotson "Dots" Perry changed it.
Looking foreward to hearing from you. jdp905@home.com

Re: PEARRE family

Posted: 11 Jul 2004 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2004 12:51PM GMT
Surnames: Pearre (Perry, Perrie, Pearry)
Anita,

I am not too sure if someone has gotten back to you, but I do have a Douglas Worthington "Wordy" Pearre b. 1915 MD, d. Dec 1981 MD, m. 1953 to Anne Custis Peter. I show they had two children: Worthington Peter Pearre b. 1956 & Louisa Hall Custis Pearre b. 1959.

I show Douglas had a brother by the name of Oliver Jackson "Jack" Pearre b. 24 May 1910 MD, d. 26 Jun 1974 MD, m. 14 Dec 1943 MD to Rosalie Magruder Bowie b. 3 Mar 1919.

I have the parents of Douglas as Oliver Truman Pearre b. 1881 MD, d. 1966 MD, m. 1908 to Louise Jackson b. 1885, d. 1957

I show the grandparents of Douglas as Oliver Hazzard Pearre b. 1841 MD, d. 1926 MD, m 22 Feb 1973 to Mary Ann Clemson d. 1926 MD

I show the gr grandparents of Douglas as Rev. James Albert Pearre b. 11 Sep 1809 MD, d. 5 Oct 1882 MD, m. Mar 1834 to Eliza Dudderar b. 14 Aug 1814 MD, d. 16 May 1898 MD

I show the gr gr grandparents of Douglas as James Pearre b. 10 Mar 1761 d. 19 Sep 1825 m. 10 May 1792 to Sarah Warfield.

I show the gr gr gr grandparents of Douglas as Alexander Pearre, Sr. b. 6 July 1723 d. 1804 m 6 Jan 1791 to Sarah ? (most people believe this may be Sarah Beall, but I and others have not been able to substantiate this information)

....and finally I show the gr gr gr gr grandparents of Douglas as James Marcy Pearre, Sr. b. 1681? d. 1762 m. to Mary Thompson. He lived in Prince George's County in Maryland

I hope this helps Anita, I am still in the process of verifying some of this information, but I believe most of it to be accurate.

Ana L. Graham
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions