Search for content in message boards

Desperately seeking nationality!

Desperately seeking nationality!

LeAnn Harrell-Martin (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2000 11:53PM GMT
Greetings from North Central Idaho's spectacular Bitterroot Mountains!

This is LeAnn Harrell-Martin. My father was the tenth of eleven children born to Charles Aud Harrell and Daisy Jane (Creason) Harrell. Dad was born and raised in Wheaton, Missouri (north of Branson, near Neosho).
I'm very interested in finding out what nationality most Harrell's appear to be. My Ozark Mountain relatives were, either, very tight-lipped or just plain ignorant about Harrell ancestry. Most of my aunts and uncles, however, have maintained that "Harrell's" have been in the U.S. since the mid-1600's, and most of them have suggested that "Harrell" is an Irish or Scottish surname. Does this seem to concur with what most of you are discovering? I have an avid interest in Celtic culture and would LOVE to know that I'm descended from these noble, hardworking people!

Any help or information would be appreciated!

LeAnn Harrell-Martin
Orofino, Idaho

Harrell name

Denise Harrell (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 7:52PM GMT
The Harrell name has an English crest. However the name originated in Ireland. Could we be relatives? My father is Dennis G. Harrell, son of William (or Willard) Harrell. My father was born in St. Francis Arkansas, and raised partly in Piggot Arkansas. I would love to know my ancestory!

Harrell name

Susan Wright (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2000 6:22AM GMT
Hi, don't know if we're any relation at all, but there's a whole group of us Harrells in Tennessee. I was always told the name was Irish, but am still looking.

Harrell name

Susan Wright (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2000 6:22AM GMT
Hi, don't know if we're any relation at all, but there's a whole group of us Harrells in Tennessee. I was always told the name was Irish, but am still looking.

Nationality

Marsha Olivia Harrell (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2000 10:37AM GMT
I've been told the Harrell's were Scottish. Apparantly we have ancestors from Aberdeen, Scotland. There are Harrell tombstones in an
Aberdeen cemetary who were our ancestors. Did you have any relatives immigrate to Texas?

Re: Nationality

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 11:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harrell, Herrell
Hi, My grandfather was from Eastland Comanche County, TX. He was born 1884 in Comanche and died 1960 in Eastland. His father, Charlie was born abt. 1844 in KY. I was wondering if they may have been from Irish or Scottish origin. Mom's thinks they are English, but I would like to know where the surname came from.

Re: Desperately seeking nationality!

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 7:32AM GMT
Surnames: Harrell, Herrell
"The family Herrell/Harrell/Harold/Herald found in Claiborne County,Tennessee originated in the Alsace area of eastern France on the German border. The original spelling was Hearl. The earliest members of this family settled in Pennsylvania. They were members of the Lutheran, Reformed, or United Brethren Churches. Around 1732 Jost Hite and Bautiste Jerome led approximately fifty families seeking better farm land to the Virginia Valley. The Herrell family was among this group. Some members of the Herrell family left Virginia around 1752 and settled in the Granville District of North Carolina.

"The earliest known Herrell settler of Claiborne County, Tennessee, was Drury Herrell from North Carolina in 1819. He was joined before 1840 by Dempsey, Larkin, and Noah Herrell, also of North Carolina. A William Herrell of Wythe County, Virginia, settled in Claiborne County around 1835....

" William Herrell (1794-1872) is thought to be the son of a William Herrell (d. 1822) whose will is recorded in Wythe County Will Book 3, p. 12. He is named as having brothers John Herrell and Reuben Herrell. William Herrell lived in Claiborne County from 1835 until the late 1850's when threats of a civil war persuaded him and a few other family members to move westward to Dallas County, Missouri. Some of these family members later settled in Texas. However, several members of the Herrell family remained in Claiborne County and their descendants are still living there in 1988."

Eleanor McCallum, "Herrell/Harrell," p. 87, The People's History of Claiborne County Tennessee 1801-1988, Claiborne County Historical Society (1988).

Re: Desperately seeking nationality!

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 6:45PM GMT
There were two Harrell/Herrell/Herrald (and other spellings)families in Claiborne and Hancock County that were not related, as proven by the DNA. The family you're referencing is the Harrell family who lived down near the Grainger/Claiborne county line. The other Harrell family is found in the northern part of Hancock County, on the Powell River, near 4 Mile Creek. That family is not the family you're referencing here in this description. This family, whose name seems in Wilkes County to be spelled Harrold and Herrald, is originally found in Wilkes County, NC before 1800. We suspect, but don't know, that they probably came from the Scotch-Irish area in Augusta County Virginia, because they were connected with the McDowell family who was in fact Scotch-Irish and was found in Botetourt County, Va.

Roberta Estes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic