Search for content in message boards

Cyrus Mirandy or Miranda

Cyrus Mirandy or Miranda

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 12:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mirandy, Miranda, Knighton, Ashley, Gibson
Born 1854, Elkhart, IN, died appox 1890, Pulaski, Giles County, TN.
He was a dark complected man according to his Civil War enlistment records, maybe Italian or Spanish. He enlisted once under the Mirandy spelling, was discharded as being unfit due to size and age, then reenlisted under Miranda and served in 15th Ill Infantry in TN. Married Z. Elizabeth Ashley of Giles County. There daughter Myrtle Emily was my grandmother. Would like to find his parents but no Mirandy or Miranda shows in Indiana in the 1850 census.
Any one have anything to offer?
Pat Gibson

Re: Cyrus Mirandy or Miranda

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 2:16AM GMT
Try the spelling: Meranda

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 5:28AM GMT
I got lots of results with that spelling and IN but I am not sure where to go from here. None fit the right time or locations. Any ideas as to why this spelling might be used for Mirandy or Mirandy?
Pat Gibson

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 4:28AM GMT
It's been a few years since I made the connection between the names Miranda, Meranda, and Mirandy, but here's what I have found out:

In researching my g-g-grandmother Sarah Meranda of Scott County Indiana, b. abt 1820, I started with the spelling my mother had given to me: Meranda, and along with her hint that some of our ancestors were Jewish, I put out an inquiry under the surname Meranda about 5 years ago and got some informed and interesting responses from Carolynn LeBlanc, Craig Coberly, Anglita Snider, and Joyce Miranda Kralik on both the surname boards: Meranda and Miranda.
In her 24 Feb 2003 response to the 23 Jan 2001 posting by Anglita Snider, Joyce Miranda Kralik mentioned that another spelling to check is Mirandy. This stuck with me, and just yesterday I was reading about an Indian chief named Tanacharisson (who may be connected to an Indian wife of an early Ohio River trader named Meranda) when I came across a link to a website which I clicked on:
Robert L. Owens from Centersville, Tyler County, W.V., U.S.A., where I checked the surname list and, not too much to my surprise, found several people with the name Meranda. I clicked on the Meranda names and they all had alternate spellings of "Meranda, Mirandy, Morandy, etc." This goes right along with what Joyce Kralik had mentioned in her Feb. 2003 posting about other possible spellings.

When I first began checking out this line of my ancestry, I thought it strange that two hundred years ago a Spanish sort of surname would show up in Pennsylvania and the Midwest. It's not like it was in the Southwest where one would expect to find Spanish surnames two centuries ago. This name of Meranda/Miranda was notable in not sounding English or Scotch-Irish or German. Then when I read Craig Coberly's research about Isaac Nunes Miranda and Isaac's family's wanderings in Europe after the Inquisition in the Iberian peninsula (Portugal/Spain) then maybe Tuscany/France/ then England, it all started to fit into a picture with what my mother had said about some Jewish ancestry, along with the physical appearance and some other handed down ways that didn't fit in to what one would expect in the community where I grew up in in southern Indiana.
Like your description of Cyrus, my mother's family were all short of stature and brunette with dark eyes and dark hair, as well. At almost 5 feet, I am among the tallest in her side of our family. The Mirandas/Merandas of Pennsylvania in the 1700's were , I surmise, somehow connected with the river trade routes and Indian trade in Pennsylvania and even up and down the Ohio River before there were the states we today know as Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. I guess that's why those with the name have ended up in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia, and points west of there like Illinois and Missouri, as well. Somewhere along the line during the time they were settling in the Ohio River valley areas of northern Kentucky, southern Ohio and southern Indiana, some of them must have switched the spelling from Miranda to Meranda. In those days, with little formal schooling, I imagine people sounded out their names in slightly different ways, including even the endings, lending to a suffix of "y" rather than "a" for the end of the name Miranda--hence Mirandy,Merandy, Morandy , whatever. In those days, exact spelling didn't mean that much to most people, I guess.
The biggest problems I have found in my searches is that so many of the men in different generations have the same first name--like how many Samuels could there possibly be in the Meranda/Miranda family!!! and that so many women/wives go unidentified with names like Mary?, Indian maid, etc. My Samuel Meranda, b. abt 1796, (d.o.b. arrived at by using census data) was married to a woman named Ann or Anna, b. abt. 1799. I still can't figure out the parentage for either one with such little info, but I know he has to be a descendant of Isaac through Isaac's son George or Isaac's son Samuel. I imagine your Cyrus is too. I have found Ancestry.com's census data to be helpful with little tidbits and hints--like who's living as a neighbor to whom and children's and parents' ages and states of birth,etc. in the way of circumstantial evidence to help put family histories together.

Good luck with your Cyrus.

Eve

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Knighton, Mirandy, Rooth, Owens, Higgins, Holloway
Eve, Thanks so much for the information. The part about being Jewish and wandering all over Europe sounds right. Miranda is a Spanish name, common in the Canary Islands. The Ashley family that Cyrus married into was part Cherokee so the dark hair and coloring was common in my father's family as was the short stature. Wish his enlistment records had his parents name on them but that is really asking too much I guess.
Thanks again.
Pat Gibson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic