Search for content in message boards

Ritcheys from W. Pa. to S.E. Oh.

Ritcheys from W. Pa. to S.E. Oh.

Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jun 2002 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey, Richey, Ritchie
I am looking for information on three Ritchey (most prevalent spelling in older records) families that settled Newport Twp., Washington County, Ohio in the early 1840s. The head of households were William W. Ritchey, Jacob Ritchey, and Joseph Ritchey. All three families originated from Western Pennsylvania. Here is a breakdown of each family.

William W. Ritchey (b. bef 1810 in PA or NY) married Matilda Baldwin (b. abt 21 Apr 1812) daughter or sister of John Baldwin. They had the following children before moving to Ohio:
1.) John Calhoun Ritchey (b. 28 Jun 1828 in Erie, PA) A cooper by trade
2.) Ellen J. Ritchey (b. 1832 in PA)
3.) Isaac H. Ritchey (b. Jul 1835 in PA)
They had two more children after coming to Ohio. The descendants of William W. Ritchie spell there surname RITCHEY, RICHEY, or RITCHIE.

Jacob Ritchey (b. abt 1809 in PA) married Nancy Edmendson (b. 29 Sep 1817 in Oil City, Venango Co., PA) circa 1833. Jacob was the son of Abraham and Jane Willoughby Ritchey. Jacob was a cooper by trade. Jacob and Nancy had the following child before moving to Ohio:
1.) Maria Ritchey (b. abt, 1835 in PA)
They had eight more children after coming to Ohio. The descendants of Jacob Ritchey spell their surname RITCHEY or RITCHIE.

Joseph Ritchey (b. 7 Apr 1811 in Wash. Co., PA) married Catherine Stewart (b. 5 Aug 1818 in Wash. Co., PA) on 11 Aug 1836 in Alleghany Co., PA. Joseph was a cooper by trade. Joseph and Catherine had the following children before moving to Ohio.
1.) Eliza Jane Ritchey (b. 1837 in PA)
2.) Sarah Ann Ritchey (b. 30 Aug 1840 in PA)
3.) Alexander J. Ritchey (b. 14 Feb 1841 in Washington Co., PA) A cooper by trade
4.) Nancy Ritchey (b. 13 Dec 1844 in Washington Co., PA)
They had six more children after coming to Ohio. The descendants of Joseph Ritchey all spell their surname RITCHIE.

Can anyone out there fit these families into your genealogies?
Posted: 11 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Sorry, I don't have a Charles that fits the info you supplied.

Charles Franklin Ritchey

Jim Ritchey (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RITCHEY JOHNSON MCHENRY JINES
The only name I have is that of my grandfather, Charles Franklin RITCHEY. He is believed to have been born in NC in 1866 before emigrating from NC to IN. Can you fit his name into your genealogical data?
Posted: 12 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey
I do not find a match but you might try Mercer Co KY
Geneology

I found my Ritchey ancestors

Jim Ritchey (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey, Ritchie, Richey, Richie, Ruetschi
Just to inform any who may think that they are connected to my Ritchey/Ritchie/Richey/Richie/Ruetschi line, I have found my ancestors. Maybe, just maybe you will find a connection to this line too. For this purpose, scan the following to see if you recognize any of your ancestors.

Jim Ritchey

Descendants of Kunrad Ruetschi

Generation No. 1

1. KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI was born December 01, 1698. He married BARBARA LIPS September 02, 1721 in Shieren, Swizerland. She was born July 04, 1697.

Child of KUNRAD RUETSCHI and BARBARA LIPS is:
2. i. JACOB2 RICHEY, b. December 31, 1724; d. Moved to Cabarrus County, North Carolina in 1753 and died there..

Generation No. 2

2. JACOB2 RICHEY (KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI) was born December 31, 1724, and died in Moved to Cabarrus County, North Carolina in 1753 and died there.. He married MARY CATHERINE MAYER October 08, 1747 in Northhampton Township, PA. She was born 1724 in Northhampton Township, PA, and died 1806 in Cabarrus County, North Carolina.

Children of JACOB RICHEY and MARY MAYER are:
3. i. HENRY3 RICHEY.
4. ii. JOHN GEORGE RICHEY.
5. iii. MICHAEL RICHEY.

iv. PETER RICHEY.

v. ANN BARBARA RICHEY.

vi. POLLY RICHEY.

vii. CATHERINE RICHEY.

Generation No. 3

3. HENRY3 RICHEY (JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI)

Child of HENRY RICHEY is:

i. ADAM4 RICHEY.

4. JOHN GEORGE3 RICHEY (JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI)

Children of JOHN GEORGE RICHEY are:
6. i. JOHN GEORGE RICHEY4 JR., d. 1855.
7. ii. JOHN NATUS RICHEY.

5. MICHAEL3 RICHEY (JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI) He married ELIZABETH WALKER.

Child of MICHAEL RICHEY and ELIZABETH WALKER is:
8. i. CALEB WILEY4 RITCHEY, b. May 05, 1821, Stanly County, North Carolina, (1850 Census NC).

Generation No. 4

6. JOHN GEORGE RICHEY4 JR. (JOHN GEORGE3 RICHEY, JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI) died 1855.

Children of JOHN GEORGE RICHEY JR. are:

i. AARON5 RICHEY.

ii. WILLAM NORAL RICHEY, d. 1863, Point Lookout, Maryland as POW.

iii. JOHN RICHEY, d. Died in Civil War.

iv. HENRY RICHEY, d. Died in Civil War.

v. GEORGE E. RICHEY.

vi. HENRIETTA CAROLINE RICHEY, m. WILLIAM PROBST.

7. JOHN NATUS4 RICHEY (JOHN GEORGE3, JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI)

Children of JOHN NATUS RICHEY are:

i. JOHN W.5 RICHEY.

ii. MARTIN A. RICHEY.

8. CALEB WILEY4 RITCHEY (MICHAEL3 RICHEY, JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI) was born May 05, 1821 in Stanly County, North Carolina, (1850 Census NC). He married BARBARA FINK November 16, 1844 in Mt. Carmel Lutheran Church, Cabarrus County, NC, daughter of PHILIP FINK and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN. She was born 1821 in Cabarrus County, North Carolina (1850 Census).

Children of CALEB RITCHEY and BARBARA FINK are:

i. ELIZABETH CATHERINE5 RITCHEY, b. October 24, 1845.

ii. MARY ANN SOPHIA RITCHEY, b. January 26, 1847.

iii. EOLY JANE "JANA" RITCHEY, b. May 26, 1850.

iv. MARTHA RITCHEY, b. 1852.

v. WILLIAM MICHAEL RITCHEY, b. 1854.

vi. NELLY FRANCES RITCHEY, b. May 08, 1858; d. Burried in Palm Tree Methodist Cem. in Cabarrus County, NC???.

vii. JACOB MONROE RITCHEY, b. January 04, 1861.
9. viii. CHARLES FRANKLIN RITCHEY, b. March 04, 1863, Cabarrus County, North Carolina -- acccording to 1870 Census; d. 1935, Methodist Hospital, Indianapolis, IN.

Generation No. 5

9. CHARLES FRANKLIN5 RITCHEY (CALEB WILEY4, MICHAEL3 RICHEY, JACOB2, KUNRAD1 RUETSCHI) was born March 04, 1863 in Cabarrus County, North Carolina -- acccording to 1870 Census, and died 1935 in Methodist Hospital, Indianapolis, IN. He married HATTIE MILIAN JOHNSON March 04, 1894 in Jefferson County, IN, daughter of HENRY JOHNSON and SARAH BARBER. She was born January 21, 1873 in Madison Township, Jefferson C., IN, and died Abt. 1959 in Indianapolis, IN.

Children of CHARLES RITCHEY and HATTIE JOHNSON are:

i. CHARLES HENRY6 RITCHEY, b. February 22, 1895, Monroe Township, Jefferson Co., IN; d. January 24, 1915, France, 22nd Ambulance Company, U.S. Army, World War I.

ii. JOHN CALEB RITCHEY, b. May 17, 1897, Madison Township, Jefferson County, IN1; d. December 25, 1975, St. Francis Hospital, Beech Grove, IN; m. PENELOPE ANN MCHENRY, May 1928, Vernon, IN; b. December 30, 1908, Greenwood, IN2; d. January 12, 1976, 1435 S. New Jersey St., Indianapolis, IN2.

iii. BESSIE RITCHEY, b. 1899, Madison Township, Jefferson C., IN; d. 1989, California.

iv. JOSIE RITCHEY, b. 1901; d. 1998; m. CLARENCE GAMMON; b. 1901; d. 1978.

v. EVERETT RITCHEY.

Endnotes

1. Broderbund Family Archive

Re: Ritcheys from W. Pa. to S.E. Oh.

Posted: 15 Sep 2001 4:49PM GMT
Edited: 18 Dec 2003 10:38PM GMT
My great grandfather, Isaac Newton Ritchey, was born in Masontown, Pennsylvania, Sept. 19, 1855. He married Zaney Alice Raber, July 18, 1880. I've been trying to find information on his parents, but he appears to have appeared out of nowhere. I can't find any names or dates. I was wondering if the Isaac H. Ritchey in your information could possibly be his father. It would be very helpful to receive birth and death dates, marriage date and his wife's name and her information as well. I know Isaac N. had a brother named James because my grandfather was named after him. If so, I can provide information on many of his descendants. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Posted: 15 Sep 2001 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Larkin
Hello!
I wish I could help you too.
We only have Agnes Ann Ritchey born in 1847 died July 16, 1921 in Toronto, Ontario is where she died, She was married to John Henry Larkin in 1869 at age 22 in Belfast Ireland.
Together they had 8 children, ! being my grandfather William Thomas Larkin.
William Lived in Toronto, Ontario and married in Hamilton Ontario to Agnes Gertrude Grassie in 1910.
I have more on my family from John on down only.
I need to know his and her parents and family, We have nothing of them
Judith

Posted: 16 Sep 2001 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey, Richey, Baldwin
Isaac H. Ritchey was less than ten years old when his family moved to Ohio. I do not know for sure from where the family originated. One of Isaac's brothers was reported to have been born in Erie, PA. His mother, Matilda Baldwin Ritchey, appears to have been from Venango Co, PA. For more informatio visit my family site at http://www.familyorigins.com/users/r/i/t/Ricky-A-Ritchie/ind...

Good Luck with your research.
Rick

Posted: 8 Mar 2002 3:12AM GMT
I am looking for information on Zaney Raber, and was wondering if we might be talking about the same one. If you have any information on her or her family could you please let me know.

Kent Schneider (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2005 12:06AM GMT
There is a book with Ritchey geneology that was suggested I get a copy of. I'm unable to find a copy of this book. Does anyone know the name? It supposedly is very extensive with Ritchey information from families in Pennsylvania.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic