Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

Amos Porter s/o John Porter and Sarah Heaton

Amos Porter s/o John Porter and Sarah Heaton

Lane Benet (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2003 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kellogg, Porter, Heaton, Allen
I believe this Amos Porter b. abt 1730 Lebanon, CT m. abt 1755 Joanna Allen. Their daughter Rachel Porter b. 1766 Lenox, MA m. 1787 Sheffield, MA to Amos Kellogg, Jr. Rachel and Amos Kellogg are buried in Clinton, NY. Also buried there are Capt. Amos Porter who d. 28 May 1814 age 87, making his birth year abt 1737 and Amy Porter, his wife who d. 1 Dec 1813, age 90, making her birth year abt 1723.

There are many Amos Porters and several who were in the Revolutionary War. Is this Amos the son of John and Sarah (Heaton) Porter? Who is Amy? I find no record for the death of Joanna Allen Porter or marriage of Amy ? to Amos Porter. I can only trace my ancestry with certainty to Rachel Porter Kellogg.

Re: Amos Porter s/o John Porter and Sarah Heaton

Posted: 7 Jul 2008 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
My link is a Raphael Porter who is the son of an Amos Porter who married a Buel. In this family also appears an Olive and a Rachael Porter. I noted that Raphael and Rachael both lived and died in Clinton, NY. I am trying to find more about Raphael who married a Mercy Hamlin. They had a son Asa and a daughter Julianna who married a Crafts P. Kimbal in Clinton, NY.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Drake, Burr, Hamblin, Gibbs, Stanley, White
Lane,

I am also descended from Amos Porter through his son Raphael. I think you have identified the wrong Amos. It appears there are 2 Amos Porters who served in the Rev. from Conn. and had daughters named Rachel. There is the Amos Porter who married Joanna Allen and an Amos Porter who married widow Amy Brewer Gaines. The 2nd Amos is our Amos, his father is Nathaniel Porter of Windsor who married 2nd Eleanor or Elizabeth Gillett. What makes it more confusing is that both of these Amos are descendants of John Porter of Windsor.

I notice that the reference in "The Kelloggs in the New World" to the parents of Rachel Porter is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 10:06PM GMT
Hi I have Porter's in my family lineage.
I know Israel Porter was born Aug 16, 1740 Lebanon New London CT. Amos Porter was his son. Amos born Sept 13,1768 Cornwallis Kings County NS Canada. Burial Billtown Cemetery . Amos married Lydia Hall on Sept 26,1790 Corwallis Kings County NS
Benjamin Porter was amos's son. Born: dec. 15 1805 woodville NS. Benjamin married Wealthy Sandford.
There is a web site www.novascotiagenealogy.ca that
you can researching the Porter's from N.S.
Let me know if any of this helps. M.

Posted: 8 Feb 2016 9:47PM GMT
There have been many errors made, over the last 100 years, for the family of Captain Amos Porter. He was the son of Captain Amos and Sibel Ranney Porter and was born October, 6, 1729 in Middletown, Ct, where he appears on the vital records.

Captain Amos Porter married Amy Bacon in Middletown on March 1, 1750, as shown in that town's records. The Kensington Congregational Church, in the nearby Town of Berlin, CT recorded the baptisms of their children Oliver Porter, Raphael Porter and Rachel Porter. The births of the rest of their children are recorded in Middletown records.

There are many Revolutionary War records for Amos Porter, who lived first in Middletown/Berlin, Connecticut; then relocated in the 1770's to Lenox, then Lee, and finally to Sheffield, all in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. His son Raphael Porter, a very uncommon name, is also recorded as a soldier from Lenox. Please note that Captain Amos Porter served from Massachusetts, NOT Connecticut.

In Sheffield, Mass. Amos Porter lived next to the Kellogg family, as recorded in deed records. Also in Sheffield, Amos and Amia Porter and Oliver and Esther Porter sold land on October 15, 1806. Amos then returned first to Berlin, CT, as recorded in church records, then moved to Clinton, Oneida County, NY, where his children Rachel Porter Kellogg, Sibel Porter Gridley and Oliver Porter already lived.

Amos Porter was recorded in Berlin, CT. church records as "from Sheffield". He is recorded in Clinton, NY Church records as being "from Berlin".

Raphael Porter had died in Jefferson County, NY about 1800 or so. Captain Amos Porter and Amy Bacon Porter died in Clinton. The ages on their gravestones help prove who they were. Buried right next to them in the Old Clinton Burying Ground are Oliver and Esther Porter, and Sibel (Porter) Gridley.

Rachel Porter Kellogg was still alive in Clinton in 1850, when she recorded on the 1850 census that she had been born in CONNECTICUT not in Massachusetts. Also, the will of Oliver Porter of Clinton, left his property to "my NEPHEW Eli Kellogg son of Capt. Amos Kellogg...". Oliver's wife was Esther Kellogg but she WAS NOT the sister of Amos Kellogg, meaning that Oliver and Rachel were brother and sister. Oliver's will is in Oneida County, NY Book of Wills 2, on page 371.

MANY genealogies have errors in this family line. If you follow through, you will find the family connections stated and copied over many years are actually impossible. I have been following this line for a long time. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic