Search for content in message boards

Amos Porter s/o John Porter and Sarah Heaton

Amos Porter s/o John Porter and Sarah Heaton

Lane Benet (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2003 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kellogg, Porter, Heaton, Allen
I believe this Amos Porter b. abt 1730 Lebanon, CT m. abt 1755 Joanna Allen. Their daughter Rachel Porter b. 1766 Lenox, MA m. 1787 Sheffield, MA to Amos Kellogg, Jr. Rachel and Amos Kellogg are buried in Clinton, NY. Also buried there are Capt. Amos Porter who d. 28 May 1814 age 87, making his birth year abt 1737 and Amy Porter, his wife who d. 1 Dec 1813, age 90, making her birth year abt 1723.

There are many Amos Porters and several who were in the Revolutionary War. Is this Amos the son of John and Sarah (Heaton) Porter? Who is Amy? I find no record for the death of Joanna Allen Porter or marriage of Amy ? to Amos Porter. I can only trace my ancestry with certainty to Rachel Porter Kellogg.

Re: Amos Porter s/o John Porter and Sarah Heaton

Posted: 7 Jul 2008 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
My link is a Raphael Porter who is the son of an Amos Porter who married a Buel. In this family also appears an Olive and a Rachael Porter. I noted that Raphael and Rachael both lived and died in Clinton, NY. I am trying to find more about Raphael who married a Mercy Hamlin. They had a son Asa and a daughter Julianna who married a Crafts P. Kimbal in Clinton, NY.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Drake, Burr, Hamblin, Gibbs, Stanley, White
Lane,

I am also descended from Amos Porter through his son Raphael. I think you have identified the wrong Amos. It appears there are 2 Amos Porters who served in the Rev. from Conn. and had daughters named Rachel. There is the Amos Porter who married Joanna Allen and an Amos Porter who married widow Amy Brewer Gaines. The 2nd Amos is our Amos, his father is Nathaniel Porter of Windsor who married 2nd Eleanor or Elizabeth Gillett. What makes it more confusing is that both of these Amos are descendants of John Porter of Windsor.

I notice that the reference in "The Kelloggs in the New World" to the parents of Rachel Porter is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 10:06PM GMT
Hi I have Porter's in my family lineage.
I know Israel Porter was born Aug 16, 1740 Lebanon New London CT. Amos Porter was his son. Amos born Sept 13,1768 Cornwallis Kings County NS Canada. Burial Billtown Cemetery . Amos married Lydia Hall on Sept 26,1790 Corwallis Kings County NS
Benjamin Porter was amos's son. Born: dec. 15 1805 woodville NS. Benjamin married Wealthy Sandford.
There is a web site www.novascotiagenealogy.ca that
you can researching the Porter's from N.S.
Let me know if any of this helps. M.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions