Search for content in message boards

Brown / Spencer Connections

Brown / Spencer Connections

Nancy Brown (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown, Spencer
I am looking for the ancestors of Josiah/Isaiah Brown who married Mary Warren Spencer in Bradley, Maine in 1832. I have lots of information on the Spencers but my wall is the Brown's in that area. There are two known spellings of Brown in that area for the same family. Both "Brown" and "Brawn", so if anyone has seen this unusual spelling with an "A" in the Maine area, please contact me.
Posted: 14 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2005 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Spencer
Penobscot.... I am trying to find information on my Grandfather Paris Albert Spencer. I am told he was the brother of W. A. Spencer who perished on the Titanic..
Is this your line? Please email me Sclark2833@aol.com
Thanks

spencer/brawn

Posted: 3 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2002 9:22PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer, Brawn
6/3/99
Dear Nancy,
I have been looking for the parents of a Jacob Spencer b. 12 May 1809 in Bradley, ME; d. 17 May 1878; and those of his 2nd wife, Emeline Brawn, b. 15 Jan 1820, Bradley, ME; d. 14 Sep 1889. I found several of this couple's children buried in the Evergreen Cemetery off Boynton Rd. in Bradley. This cemetery had lots of other Spencers and several Brawns, but no clear connections to Jacob and Emeline. Do Jacob and Emeline sound familiar to you?

Jacob Spencer

alexis spencer (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
I was wondering about your Jacob Spencer. WHo are his children and who was his first wife? I have a Jacob born in 1805 and married Mary Dalzell. ANy info would be appreciated.

Jacob Spencer

Posted: 16 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2002 9:22PM GMT
My Jacob Spencer was born 12 May 1809, Bradley, ME and died 17 May 1878. I believe he was married abt. 1832 to a woman named Mercy who d. abt. 1837. They had at least 2 children before she died: 1, Keziah Y.Spencer b. 22 Jul 1833 died 6 Jun 1912 (she married a Lishness and moved to Illinois) and 2. Jacob Spencer, Jr. b. abt. 1835.
Jacob, Sr. married Emeline Brawn in 1839 and had 9 more children: Frances, b. 1841; Freeman Dow b. 1843; Flora A. b. 1844; Joseph H. b. 1846; Mercy J. b. 1850; Edward J. b. 1853; Nathaniel P. b. 1855; William S. b. 1857; and Millie J. b. 1859. At least 3 of these children are buried in Bradley, ME. Hope this helps you.

Re: Jacob Spencer

Posted: 26 Jun 2001 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: SPENCER, LISHNESS
Ms Mann: In the midst of researching the Lisherness/Lishness family, I discovered your message of 16 June 1999, which indicates that a daughter of Jacob Spencer, Keziah "md a Lishness and moved to Illinois". As I've long been trying to connect Maine to Illinois, I would be grateful to know if you possess any additional information or clues about the Lishness individual mentioned. Thank you for your time.

Jon Tull (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2001 2:37PM GMT
Surnames: Tull, Lishness, Fisher, Berry
i'm trying to look for my long lost ancestors. My grandmother Jean L. Lishness was born sept. 3rd, 1921. Her father, S. Jay Lishness died sept. 1967 and her mother died november 1993.

Jamie Jones (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2001 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer, Lishness
Jon--I may have a connection to your grandmother. If she was an Osteopathic Doctor in Chicago, I may be able to help you. I believe she would have been a g-granddaughter of Michael Sylvester Lishness of Livingston County, IL via Maine.Please contact me directly so we may compare notes.

Re: Brown / Spencer Connections

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 2:40PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2002 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Spencer, Jackson
Your message regarding Browns and Spencers in the Bradley, Maine area is a fairly old posting. I can't help you with your Brown search, but hope you have had luck in the time that has passed since your posting. I am trying to locate Spencers in that neck of the woods. My husband's great grandfather was Daniel Webster Spencer, born about 1856. His parents were Valentine Spencer (born in Greenbush, Maine) and Annie L. Jackson (born in Edinburg, Maine). Do they have any connection to the Spencers you say you have a lot of information on? Any help or guidance you can offer (or tips on where to go for information) would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Brown / Spencer Connections

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2003 7:41PM GMT
Not sure where you live, but there are two libraries in Maine that hold a copy each of "The Penobscot Spencers" by Thelma D'Auteuil in their reference sections. This book is a LARGE family tree of the Spencer family going back to 1596 in England. This book has information on Daniel Webster Spencer's family going back 6 generations; (Valentine, James A., Nathaniel, Moses, Moses, Thomas). I recently purchased a copy of this book from the author who lives just a few miles from me in Maine. Well worth the $$.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic