Search for content in message boards

NICHOLITE QUAKERS

Wilson, Mullikin, Wilkinson, Sockrider

Betsy Hale (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Mullikin, Wilkinson, Sockrider
I don't have the info you asked for, I'm stuck and haven't gotten very far on my Wilson family. I descend from 2 direct lines of Wilsons and I believe both were from Caroline County even though I only have evidence of one but a good clue to the other. I don't know who John and James are, but I just saw those names on an email from a cousin and asked her about it a few minutes ago. You may want to contact her: vachel@intercom.net (Cathy Downes)

Need info on Robert Edwin Wilson b. Abt. November 18, 1830 married Sarah Ann Wilkinson (she was born in Jumptown)

Also need info on Florence Adeline Wilson b. 1881 Goldsboro; might very well be related to Robert Edwin Wilson above, she married his grandson Robert Orville Mullikin. I undertand that Florence's mothers maiden name may have been Sockrider (rumor I heard from my mother) but I have found no evidence of her parents names at all)

I'd appreciate a response if these names mean anything to you at all,

Thanks,

Betsy Hale

NICHOLITE QUAKERS

Richard Welch (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WILLSON, WILSON, CHARLES
The marriage of James WILSON and Sarah CHARLES was recorded in the Nicholite marriage records, November 28, 1793. The Nicholites were a branch of the Society of Friends (Quakers). Can anyone provide information about these Quakers, where their Monthly Meeting records are located, etc.? Sarah CHARLES was born April 25, 1775, in Caroline County, the daughter of Jacob and Euphama CHARLES. Can anyone help with this family?

Who were James WILSON's parents?

Need proof that James and Sarah (CHARLES) WILSON were the parents of John, born November 9, 1795, in Maryland; Robert S., born February 1, 1798, in Maryland; Nathaniel, birthdate unknown; and possibly James, Jr. and Dorcas.

Re: NICHOLITE QUAKERS

DJ Rowe (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 4:47AM GMT
I've been trying to find records of this group, too. My folk were members of Fork River or Northwest Fork River Meeting in Anne Arundel Co., Md. I have no idea where to find the records so if you discover where, please let me know. Thanks.

DJ

Marsha McWilliams (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 3:42PM GMT
Actually, the Nicolites were founded abt. 1760 by Joseph Nicols and they were very much like the Quakers, only much stricter. Jos. Nicols died abt. Dec., 1770 and from what records I've been able to find, some Nicolites didn't actually become Quakers until much later (although the Quakers had wanted them to join early on.) I do have quite a bit of info on some of the Nicolite families if anyone would care to write me personally at: rmmcw@effingham.net
Marsha

Posted: 27 Nov 2001 9:03PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2003 7:34PM GMT
There are several published books and periodicals containing Nicholite records. Kenneth Carrol's book "Joseph Nichols and the Nicholites" is where you should start. What surnames are you researching?

Parker

P.S. Northwest Fork Meeting is in Caroline County, not Anne Arundel.

DJ Rowe (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 10:52PM GMT
I am researching James and Mary Bowater (some say Davis) Wright. I read somewhere that his birth is recorded in the Northwest Fork River MM but with a name like James Wright, it could be any James Wright.

Thanks for the info.

DJ

Posted: 27 Nov 2001 11:47PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2003 7:34PM GMT
From "Joseph Nichols and the Nicholites;"
Births
James Wright, son of Roger & Mary born 3rd day 12th mo. 1760.
James Wright, son of John & Esther born 5th day 9th mo. 1786.

Marriages
James Wright and Sarah Harriss, both of Caroline, 4th day 3rd mo. 1780
John Wright and Esther Harriss, both of Caroline, 6th day 11th mo. 1784
James Wright, son of Levin, and Ann Ward, both of Caroline 3rd day 2nd mo. 1787

Parker

DJ Rowe (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2001 2:20AM GMT
Thanks for the lookup, Todd. As I said, with a name like James... As it turns out, the ones you found are way too late to be my James but now I know the ancestry for all those Levin Wrights I find in Quaker records. :)

Thanks again.

DJ

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 5:25PM GMT
I am looking for marriage records for the Nicholites for the surnames Wheatley and Willis. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? I can be reached at actimco@verizon.net

Thanks!

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 6:03PM GMT
Try this web address http://drwilliams.org/iDoc/joseph_nichols/joseph_nichols_FM....

Follow the link on the left side of the home page for Nicholites. Marriges and births are listed under Nicholite Roots. There are members of the Wheatly and Willis families listed.

Also, Nicholite marriages and births are recorded in a series of books published by F. Edward Wright entitled Maryland Eastern Shore Vital Records. The books were published back in the 1980s by Family Line Publications. They may be available through libraries or from Mr. Wright at Colonial Roots Bookstore in Rehoboth, Delaware.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic