Search for content in message boards

DODSON FAMILY

DODSON FAMILY

mary jane mancuso (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DODSON, STEWART, CAMERON, FONTAIN
Looking for descendants of George W. Dodson buried in Annapolis Cemetery, Iron County, MO. George was born 1851, desceased 1929, believe he may have been a brother of my grandfather Joseph Daniel Dodson. Would like to correspond with any Iron County Dodson descendants. Mary Mancuso maryjon@uswest.net
Posted: 21 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Feb 2003 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Johnson, Tucker, Lowe, Mayes
Thank you for the quick reply. As soon as we find time we will research some more and see if we can find a connection. I have been in contact with a Henderson family in Iron co.Mo. who is supposed related to my Stewarts and they may know of a link. This is all very new and will take a little time for me to work on it. I will keep you posted as to my findings.
Again, Thanks for your help.
Russell and Gloria Peace-Griffitts

stewarts

mary jane mancuso (View posts)
Surnames: stewart, dodson, fontaine, cameron
My Stewart connection to Dodson is through my grandfather Joseph Daniel Dodson who married Laura Stewart in Clinton Co., Caryle, IL. The Stewarts were originally from Orange Co., IN and migrated there in the 1860-1870's. Laura parents were Robert Stewart and Christina Jane Gibson Stewart. Joseph Daniel Dodson was the son of William F. Dodson (son of John Dodson and Nancy Cayce Dodson)and his older brother was George W. Dodson born abt. 1851 and was reported to have gone to the Iron Co area and was there by early 1900's. William F. Dodson married Jane F. Cameron (daughter of Daniel Cameron and Mary Fontaine Cameron) in Trigg Co., KY.
Edited: 22 Feb 2003 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Johnson, Tucker, Lowe, Mayes, many others
We have just begun to research what we believe to be relatives, Rose (Henderson?)STEWART and possible husband of Borden(nickname,Shorty)STEWART. Rose was in my Mothers Wedding party and I do not know if she was a relative or friend. My Mother died when I was young so I did not get to ask her. We think they all lived in Granite City, Ill., where my parents, Edna May(Johnson)Peace and Fredrick Lee Peace, were married on 04 Jul. 1934.If it helps, both of my parents were born in Iron Co. Mo. but lived most of there married life in Indiana. We would be grateful for any help or direction.
Thanks in advance.
Russell and Gloria Peace-Griffitts

Re: DODSON FAMILY

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 4:15AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2005 9:08PM GMT
I see that you are researching Stewart. I have a Mary E Conway who married a Stewart. I think that he died before Mary who is buried in Iron Co.

I have Dadsons in NC during the Revolution.

Mary Mancuso (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2001 7:40PM GMT
No connection on the Stewarts. MY family was from PA,lived in IN and migrated to Clinton Co., IL about late 1860's. The Dodson connection was first in Cumberland Co. VA abt. 1776, and probably earlier. Looking for the parents of John Dodson born in 1776 in Cumberland. Thanks

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 8:35PM GMT
I just loved the way you dismissed me.

I will give you a small piece of info and then I am Gone. You might look at a book on ministers. I just received my copy. My cousin who has done research on these people of mine suggested the book. It has some bad errors, but it has some good stuff for me and my Dodson.

My different direct lines came into VA and were all over it. Then they left. My cousin is doing original research there that is why I know what I am talking about.

This is the last help from me and I have only given you a clue of things. I even know where there is a copy of that set of books. Next time do not just toss off someone when they try to help. If you know everything why do you place message fo seek help?

I realized that I had hit a wrong key in spelling Dodson's name. I am not perfect and I have ancestors out there that do not seem to have left any clue. I keep working on them and I have found some Very Nice People who have gone out of theeir way to help me. I have gone out of my way to help others. That is some times the only way things can be found.

Just go ahead and send you snob note -- No connecton, thanks -- and see how people want to help you. Not I. Bye and not try to ask help from me again. Yes, you did; you posted your note.

Jim Dotson (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: Dodson/Dotson
Al, I would like to see if we have any connection in our Dodson/Dotson family. I am a descendant of Sampson H. Dodson/Dotson. (Name changed to Dotson after arriving in Missouri.) Sampson originally located around Dillard in Dent Co. about 1842. It was a large family and they scattered around the four county area. A lot of them to Boss and Bixby. I think there are still some in Boss and Bixby. My grandfather William Harris Dotson is burried in Boss cemetery. We came from VA. to TN and to MO. If we have any connection I would like to hear from You. Jim Dotson

Posted: 14 Nov 2001 8:54AM GMT
Well, my Dodson line may have come from VA, too. Wm was a Baptist minister. A lot of my people were involved with the Regulator Movement in NC. After the Battle of Alamance Creek in 1771, they either went immediately to their land grants in what is today Alexander Co or to Union Co, SC. They were in Easly, SC, too. I do not know if Easly was in Union Co at that time or not.

Wm's daughter, Martha married Benjamin Watts. It must have been in Union Co/Easly, SC that they met or were married. Benjamin Watts and William B Jones became the two wealthist men in the Alexander Co. Their Larkin Howard Jones and Lucretia Watts married. After the war Larkin and Lucretia had to walk off and leave everything behind when they went to MO in 1869. There were "around the Iron Mt."

I just received and have not read a book on Va Baptist ministers. My Wm is in there with a lot of wrong information. I have a cousin who knows so much information from original records. I sent her a copy of the book and she said that Wm's material is wrong. She wants me to read it so she can show me where it is wrong. She is zee historian of the area. People come from many places to ask her. That author did not and entered wrong information into the book.

Do not lose my address, as there is Very Likely to be a connection!!!!

My Teagues came over on a ship captained by a Thomas Jones of Bristol, England, around 1670. Edward was the first one and from Cecile, Md, the Teagues went to the Great Valley for land. Later they were in NC with the Regulators. Wm Teague married ? Swearningen. They were part of those in SC. These Teagues later married into my Jones. Yes, Cpt Jones was the ancestor of Wm B. Jones mentioned above.

That is why if your Dodson was in VA, he is Very LIKELY to belong to my group.

Does this sound like your people?

Give me your VA material and I will see if my cousin finds that it may match. She does not know much about Wm Dodson and she does not do work for people. But your information may match with information she has or knows.

She found some record where a Dodson gave the Revolutionary Army supplies from western NC. She said that could ONLY be my Dodson. She is not related to the Dodsons.

Do not lose my email address!!

Re: Stewart

linda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2002 2:33AM GMT
Hi. Uncle Shorty and Aunt Rose lived by us in Granite City, IL. Rose's mother Alameda Loyd was married to Thomas Henderson. Alameda was my Great-grandfather's sister. If still interested e-mail me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic