Search for content in message boards

Sara *Iniwah* Gist

Sara *Iniwah* Gist

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2006 4:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information re: Sara Gist. The information I have says her father was Henry D. "Sequoyah" Gist. I am trying to track my family's indian heritage if there is any. My line includes: Sara Gist and William Micajoh Poindexter, Benjamin Speer Poindexter and Amanda Frances Cartwright, Charles D. Murphy and Mary Jane Poindexter, and Bessie Frances Murphy and Edward M. Scarborough. Any information about any of the above would be greatly appreciated as I am just starting my search.

Re: Sara *Iniwah* Gist

Posted: 4 Sep 2006 12:50PM GMT
If you do a "Google" search on Sequoyah, you'll find that the famous Cherokee of that name was George Gist. I've seen the same information about Sarah, but there's obviously something wrong or more to the story. George Gist did not even live in an area where a daughter would have been likely to meet Micajah Poindexter - I'm not even sure he married or had children.

However, Sarah Gist was obviously of Indian blood. The Poindexter book by Nealon Agee states that both Benjamin Speer Poindexter and his brother Archibald Thomas Poindexter were enrolled with the Five Civilized Tribes as Cherokee under their mother's bloodline.

This is not my line - I descend from Micajah's sister Dorothy. Please email my privately if you wish.

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 10:12AM GMT
Sara is Indian and Michjah sons is registered on the Indian rolls.
DorisAnn

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 10:14AM GMT
Sara is Indian and Michjah son Benjamin is registered on the Indian rolls.
DorisAnn

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 7:57PM GMT
Look at at the Dawes Rolls. Benjamin Spear Poindexter is listed on there and he is the son of Sara Iniwah Gist, the daughter of Sequoyah. As being listed on the Dawes Rolls, he was Native American, Choctaw if my memory serves me correctly.

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 7:59PM GMT
I am also a direct descendant of her through Benjamin's daughter Ruby (my great grandmother) and in response to one of the previous posts, Sequoia also went by George and Henry.

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Poindexter, Flynn
They were applying as Mississippi Choctaws under "Inawah", who they claimed was Rebecca Flynn, wife of Archibald Pledge Poindexter. She was neither Indian, nor Choctaw. The claims were all rejected and that is the list they are on. You have to read the packets, which are not indexed. It is under the Mississippi Choctaws case #4170, consolidated, which gives the numbers of the depositions of all the applicants. In fact some of Benjamin Speer Poindexters grandchildren claim that his mother was Mary Glidewell [the 2nd wife of Micajah]. Makes interesting reading, but you have to get the whole picture.

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 9:05PM GMT
My Grandmother was one of his grandchildren and we have only ever heard that his mother was Sara Gist. I have never heard of Mary Glidewell. There is an additional listing for Benjamin Spear Poindexter and Amanda Frances Cartwright, his wife, as being approved under the Cherokee line. I would suggest that you do more research. Thanks!

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 11:11AM GMT
Surnames: Poindexter, Flynn
Micajah Poindexter was married five times. He had nine children by his second wife Mary Glidewell. I can furnish documentation. William Anders Poindexter who was one of these children of Mary, applied as I cited, Case 4170, which was consolidated with 12 other applications. Some were made by grandchildren of Benjamin Speer Poindexter. They did apply as Mississippi Choctaw [those that did not leave Mississippi in 1835] and through Micajah's mother Rebecca Flynn and referred to her as Inawah. Obviously they were confused. I have sufficient documentation re Rebecca Flynn as well - she did not have Indian heritage.
I, too, was under the impression that eventually Benjamin Speer Poindexter's descendants were enrolled.
If you click on my name by the message and go to my profile there is a link to my webpage with much about the Poindexters as well as my email where you can contact me personally. I descend from Micajah Poindexter's sister.
Thanks

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 12:55PM GMT
Thank you for your response. I am not going to get into a contest with you of who is right and who is wrong, but having done the research myself, plus the information from my Grandmother, her sisters, her brothers, and countless other relatives, and in addition the research that was completed in the Poindexter history book printed in the 1970's, I know that my information is correct. I will not respond to any further responses and suggest that before you tell someone that they do not know their family history, which althought you are distantly related, is not your own as your are not of direct descent, that you research further yourself. I am aware that Micajah had many wives, but I do know that Benjamin's mother was Sara. Thank you for your time, it was a pleasure speaking with you and I hope that you have a lovely day.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions