Search for content in message boards

Searching for Mississippi ancestors

Searching for Mississippi ancestors

Dee Winter Slater (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2000 9:21PM GMT
Looking for information on Dr. Mrs. John DeCamp Winter of Lambert Mississippi. Married ??? in the late 1800's. Three children were born to the couple, male twins and another male that died at around five years old.
Lela M. (Gilespi) Winter may have been the child of a Scottsman and American Indian (Choctaw) woman. After the birth of their children,they moved to a reservation in Oklahoma. Please, any information will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Searching for Mississippi ancestors

Posted: 9 Feb 2002 8:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
This may be way off, but a Susan was a slave of a Winter
family. She had 3 children in the 1850's by the son of the Winter family head. This son was a doctor and was known as Dr. Winter by the slave family. Dr.Winter had his three slave off-spring raised and educated with his white
offspring.
Susan right before the end of the Civil War was allowed to
get married,to a black man, and she raised all of her children togetherin 1870 in Canton, MS. Susan was born in Alabama, but her children were all born in MS..Hope this is familiar to whomever reads this. Thank you.

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Winter
My records indicate that John DeCamp married Lela Myrtle Gillespie on Feb 13, 1910. I am researching his brother, Jeva Winter, my grandfather. Do you have any info on the family of
James Wiley Winter

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 12:56PM GMT
I have a lot of WINTER info. Been researching this family line of mine for over 30 years. I do have Jeva Winter in the line but very little info on him. I know several family members of this line are buried at our old cemetery "George Chapel Cemetery" here in Chickasaw County, Ms.

Will be glad to talk to you about this family line. You can contact me at::::::

clarkappliance@bellsouth.net
James E. Clark--Houston, Ms

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 12:58PM GMT
I have WINTER info from this family line if you want to contact me
per page

Find a board about a specific topic