Search for content in message boards

Where did they bury paupers from Southwark, London, in the 1890s?

Where did they bury paupers from Southwark, London, in the 1890s?

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 12:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 May 2004 8:21AM GMT
Surnames: Francis
I've tried many London cemeteries, without success, for the burials of a pauper husband and wife, William and Elizabeth Francis, who died in 1894 in the parish of St George the Martyr, Southwark, London. Can you suggest why they might not be found?

I've tried the following cemeteries, either in person or by letter (some even twice):

Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington High Street, Stoke Newington, London
Battersea St Mary's Cemetery, Bolingbroke Grove, Clapham, London
Brockley Cemetery, Ladywell Road, Crofton Park, London
Brookwood Cemetery, Cemetery Pales, Brookwood, Surrey
Buckingham Road Cemetery, Buckingham Road, Ilford, London
Camberwell Old Cemetery, Forest Hill Road, Honor Oak, London
Charlton Cemetery, Cemetery Lane, Charlton, London
Chingford Mount Cemetery, 121 Old Church Road, Chingford Mount, London
City of London Cemetery, Aldersbrook Road, Manor Park, London
East Finchley Cemetery, East End Road, East Finchley, London
East London Cemetery, Grange Road, Plaistow, London
Greenwich Cemetery, Well Hall Road, Shooters Hill, London
Hampstead Cemetery, Fortune Green Road, Fortune Green, London
Hanwell Cemetery (formerly City of Westminster Cemetery), 38 Uxbridge Road, Hanwell, London
Highgate Cemetery, Swains Lane, Highgate, London
Hither Green Cemetery, Verdant Lane, Gove Park, London
Ladywell Cemetery, Ladywell Road, Crofton Park, London
Lambeth Cemetery, Blackshaw Road, Tooting, London
Manor Park Cemetery, Sebert Road, Manor Park, London
Morden Cemetery, Lower Morden Lane, Morden Park, London
Nunhead Cemetery, Linden Grove, Nunhead, London
Paddington Cemetery, Willesden Lane, Brondesbury, London
Plumstead Cemetery, Wickham Lane, East Wickham, London
Putney Lower Common Cemetery, Lower Richmond Road, Barnes, London
Putney Vale Cemetery, Stag Lane, Putney Vale, London
Rippleside Cemetery, Ripple Road, Barking, London
Romford Cemetery, Dagenham Road, Rush Green, London
St Pancras & Islington Cemetery, High Road, East Finchley, London
Streatham Cemetery, Garratt Lane, Upper Tooting, London
Tower Hamlets Cemetery, Southern Grove, Bow, London
Walthamstow Cemetery, Queen's Road, Walthamstow, London
Wandsworth Cemetery, Magdalen Road, Earlsfield, London
Wembley Old Burial Ground, High Road, Wembley, London
West Ham Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Cann Hall, London
West Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, West Norwood, London, Greater London
Willesden New Cemetery, Franklyn Road, Willesden, London
Willesden Old Cemetery, Neasden Lane, Church End, London
Woolwich Cemeteries, King's Highway and Camdale Road, Plumstead, London

On 24 Feb 1885 the parish clerk of St George the Martyr noted that "the poor have to be buried in Essex at Manor Park, Plaistow, or Ilford". But I tried those, as you can see.

Re: Where did they bury paupers from Southwark, London, in the 1890s?

Posted: 5 May 2004 8:52AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2006 12:25PM GMT
Have you tried St Patrick at Leytonstone? My family came from Southwark, London, in the 1800s. Hope this information helps you.

Good Luck
Glenda

Posted: 7 May 2004 8:46AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Francis
Thanks for the suggestion Glenda.

I'm intrigued. Very intrigued. I've been plodding my way through the cemeteries listed in Patricia S. Wolfston and Clifford Webb's "Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria" (London: Society of Genealogists, 1994, 3rd ed.). I've contacted or visited every cemetery listed in the inner southern, northern and eastern London boroughs and the outer eastern London boroughs, where many of inner south London's poor were buried. I'm now about to embark on the outer southern boroughs. I've "done" the borough that covers Leytonstone, but there is no cemetery listed there, nor any called St Patrick anywhere in Greater London.

Can you tell me if it is perhaps a churchyard, rather than a cemetery?
Do you have its address?
And lastly, when were your ancestors buried there?

Thanks for your help,
Don.

Posted: 20 May 2004 2:54PM GMT
There is a Cemetery called St. Patrick's its a Catholic Cemetery off Green Road in Leytonstone.
There is also "The City Of London Cemetery" off Aldersbrook Road, also Manor Park Cemetery off Capel Road and West Ham Cemetery(includes the Jewish Cemetry).
I suggest if you can get to Leytonstone during the week check in the local library, which is beside the Tube (called Leystone and the Post Office)and its not far from Leystone High Road Railway Station on Leytonstone Road. There other Cemeties I have not mentioned.
I doubt if its in St. Patricks but it could be the City of London Cemetery but be warned its very big.
Would be interested to know if you have any luck.
Good Luck anyway.

Posted: 21 May 2004 7:25AM GMT
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestions. If you work back through the thread of postings you'll see the cemeteries I''ve already tired. It's a long list and includes City of London, Manor Park and West Ham. The churches where my couple were baptised, married and had their children baptised were not Catholic, but I suppose that if one has tried all the possible cemeteries, then one must move on to the impossible, or at least the improbable. I am in New Zealand now, so if I can locate the postal address for St Patrick's I will write to it.

Thanks again,
Dob.

Posted: 21 May 2004 10:59AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2004 1:25PM GMT
I am sorry I did not realise you were not in London.
I am not in London anymore myself, If I were I would have helped you more. I did read your post and noticed you had been to many Cemeteries, quite a few of them I know well.
The Road St. Patrick's is on is Langthorne Road, Leytonstone E.11.
There are also small Burial Grounds in the area.
One one Bush Road (beside Bush Wood) five minutes up the Road there is another on Overton Road Wanstead.
Going the other way there is Walthamstow Cemetery I think thats Queens Road nearby there is a Burial Ground on Church Lane, but none near St. Patricks from this side anyway.
Seems to me looking in the area of East London is less likely as its so far from Southwark, I remember someone saying to me there was a hefty charge for moving people from different Boroughs for burial.
Have you exhausted all of the nearby areas of Southwark?
I have many area maps, Cemetery listings etc., and should be able to locate all areas of greater London.
If you want to mention where in Southwark where they from, I can try and locate the most likely area that you may have overlooked.?
Please let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Posted: 22 May 2004 3:43AM GMT
Thanks for the new information Ian.

My 3rd-great-grandparents, William and Elizabeth Francis, lived in Gun Street (now Boyfield Street), Southwark, when they died in 1894. It was a slum area, with many houses being condemned in the 1890s.

I had been searching the east London cemeteries because I had exhausted all the main ones that I knew of in south London, and I found that quite a few poor Southwark people were buried in east London cemeteries. For instance, another ancestor of mine who lived in Walworth, south London, was buried in 1880 in Manor Park Cemetery.

I appreciate your help, and I'm confident I will eventually find where William and Elizabeth Francis are buried.

Don Hansen.

Posted: 22 May 2004 11:38AM GMT
I wonder if people were brought to what would have been the newer Cemeteries which would have been outside Inner London area, I know there has been problems in the past with Cemeteries having to reuse much older areas, my Great Uncle is buried in Lambeth Cemetery Tooting and I remember in the 1980's they cleared the oldest part of the Cemetery and reused it.
Southwark is so close to the River Thames and Blackfriars Bridge it may have been just as easy to use another Borough on the Northside as there are so few Cemeteries around the area.
I don't know if this is any use but there is a Salvation Army Place in St. Georges Road near the Elephant & Castle end, As Boyfield Road is off Blackfriars Road which runs into St. Georges Circus, then St. Georges Road it occured to me that they should have documents about the area, Local History etc., I wonder would they have any information on this, it may be worth your while checking.
I am just checking all the Cemeteries around southwest and southeast London I can then list them and you can check them off, you never know there could be one you missed.
I hope all the above has not confused you, I don't mean to.
I find the whole thing fascinating but curious as I dont really thing its because people were paupers they had to go so far to be buried, is it? My Great Uncle I mention above lived in Herne Hill (a long way from Tooting) but its in the Lambeth Borough.
Anyway I hope to be of some help to you so will keep checking, and do try the Salvation Army if you haven't already.
Regards Ian

Posted: 26 May 2004 11:35AM GMT
I have been checking the internet for information on Cemeteries, I am sure you probably have done this too, but I wondered if you have tried this.
In the yahoo search I put in "Cemeteries in London", there is a lot of studies especially on the Victorian Cemeteries.
One website I found excellent is:
http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/cem.html
If you have not seen this site check the front page for some interesting information.
I am hoping this will be new information for you, if not I apologise for wasting your time. Ian

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 3:47PM GMT
I have been busy on and off but in some spare time I have been checking other London Cemeteries you have not listed, here goes...............
South London:
Lewisham Cemetery
Bexley Heath Cemetery
Eltham Cemetery
Beckenham Cemetery South Norwood
Streatham Park Cemetery
London Road Cemetery Streatham
Queens Road Cemetery Thornton Heath
Grove Park Cemetery
Wimbledon Cemetery
North London:
Tottenham Cemetery
Tottenham Park Cemetery
Edmonton Cemetery
Southgate Cemetery, Waterfall Road
New Southgate Cemetery, Brunswick Park
East London:
Cemetery Park Off Bow Road E.3.
Woodgrange Park Cemetery Nr. Forest Gate
Grange Park Cemetery

I did not notice any of the above Cemeteries on your list. If you have not tried these and need more information please let me know.
Hope this is of use to you.
By the way I was reading on a website somewhere that Brookwood Cemetery probably buried half of East Of London, could not find out anything about the South London People.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions