Search for content in message boards

Thomas Welby, b. abt 1823 in Galway

Thomas Welby, b. abt 1823 in Galway

Maurene (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2004 3:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 9:10PM GMT
Looking for Thomas Welby, b. abt 1823 in Galway. His father was Robert Welby. Thomas married Hannah Marsh from Staffordshire, England. He was a constable with the Royal Irish Constabulary in Manchester, England. Thomas and Hannah's children were:

John b. abt 1858
Thomas Patrick b. 1859 and married Mary Walton Osbourne.
Anne b. 1860
Robert b. 1863 and married Ellen.
Florence b. 1865
Gertrude b. 1867 and married Frederick Augustus Allen and moved to Alberta, Canada.
James b. 1868 and married Eleanor Wilding.
Matilda b. 1870 and married William Hepburn in Canada.
There were supposedly twin boys in this family as well.

Thomas Welby's father, Robert, was a farmer and had 11 children. At one point, he moved to Cleveland, Ohio, but then returned to Ireland.

Re: Thomas Welby, b. abt 1823 in Galway

Adrian Martyn (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2004 6:31PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 9:11PM GMT
Hello Maurene,

I would suggest you contact the Galway Family History Society West and get them to look at the parish records, both Catholic and Church of Ireland, for Oughterard and related parishes, as most Welbys were and continue to be found in and around the town of Oughterard. Its since spread over much of Connamara - and in the time you speck of was also found in smaller numbers in Galway city - but as far as I can determine Oughterard was their starting point.

Do you have any idea who was the first member of the family to settle in Galway, why, and when? Cheers, Adrian

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 2:30PM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 9:11PM GMT
there are a lot of welbys in laghtgannon whormhole galway
strong passed down family names include robert, patrick, james, mary, kate to name a few ,view ireland cencus 1901,1911

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 10:18PM GMT
Greetings,
My family originates from Oughterard, Co. Galway. My great-grandfather John Welby came to St. Louis in 1885. There were other Welby's from Oughterard that also arrived in St. Louis as did many Irish from the Galway region of Ireland.
I have some limited records from the church in Oughterard and be will be there again in about two months for more research.
Jim Welby
St. Louis, MO

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 1:02PM GMT
My GG Grandfather was a George Welby DOB about 1846 according to his marriage certificate dated 1874 where he states he is 28.
He married a Catherine Corless aged 18 and their witnesses were a Thomas Lawless & Mary Corless.
The certificate says that Georges Father was called Christopher Welbey and Catherines father is noted as being George Corless. So far I can't find any mention of either of their fathers names.
I really hope to establish who Georges family were and where they were from.
:-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions