Search for content in message boards

Phineas Fanning (2nd/Jr.) and Edward Duffel--American Revolution Vets?

Phineas Fanning (2nd/Jr.) and Edward Duffel--American Revolution Vets?

Posted: 26 Jul 2003 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jul 2003 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: Duffel, Fanning
I saw in the June 18, 2003 edition of RWR that you are offering look-ups for certain ancestors. I have been told that I am eligible for DAR membership, but I don't know through which ancestor. I have 2 pretty good candidates from that period.

Phineas Fanning (2nd/Jr.)
b. 6 Aug. 1750 Long Island, New York; d. 21 Dec. 1798 Nantucket, Mass. His wife was Keziah Coffin. The birth date has not been verified, althought the death date has.

Edward Duffel
b. 9 April 1754, Bucks County, Pennsylvania; d. 19 Jan 1835, location unknown. Married Elizabeth Leonard in New York City, New York.

I will greatly appreciate any verification of war records for either of these 2 men.

Thanks.

Re: Phineas Fanning (2nd/Jr.) and Edward Duffel--American Revolution Vets?

Nancy C (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2003 4:10AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 28 Jul 2003 4:31AM GMT
Surnames: Fanning, Duffel
Good evening Christi,
This information comes from the DAR Patriot Index. Both of the names are found, I believe that your Phineas Jr. may be the son of this Phineas Fanning...

!. Phineas Fanning
b. NY Aug 2, 1724
service NY as Patriotic Service
(this means he provided support to the military but was not enlisted or an officer.)
d. Jun 2, 1796
wife #1 Mehatible Wells
2 Mrs. Mary Hubbard

2. Edward Duffel
b. Pa Apr 9, 1759
Service in NJ as a pvt
d VA 18 Jan 1835
wife Elizabeth Leonard

Christi, you may write for copies of these records from the NSDAR Records office. Each will cost $10. It takes about 6 wks for them to respond.
Write to:
NSDAR - Registrar General
Records Dept.
1776 D Street
Washington DC 20006-5392
Send them this exact information with two seperate checks, etc. The checks need to be made out to the Treasurer General, NSDAR.

You may also wish to write to National Archives for Edward
Duffel's military record. He does not have a pension record listed.

Do you have an interest in being a member of DAR. If so, do you have a contact in your area?
If not, I can send a referral through the National office and get a contact person for you. Let me know on this ... I will not take action unless you request.

This is a free service of the NSDAR Board volunteers. I am one of the VIS volunteers and will be pleased to help you further if you have further questions. Nancy C

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2003 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Duffel
> 2. Edward Duffel
> b. Pa Apr 9, 1759
> Service in NJ as a pvt
> d VA 18 Jan 1835
> wife Elizabeth Leonard

The information that we in Lynchburg, Virginia have says that Edward Duffel served on the British side during the war. I have found a 1777 document where an Edward Duffel signed onto a petition to join the West Jersey Volunteers, a Loyalist unit.

Have you found any additional information on Edward? I am writing an article on Revolutionary War Veterans in Lynchburg, Virginia for "Lynch's Ferry Magazine", a publication of the Lynchburg Historical Foundation.

Two of my subjects are James & Edward Duffel, brothers who settled in Lynchburg. Edward was a merchant, and James was a well-known Silversmith.

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith
Historical Research & Consulting
Post Office Box 75, Lynchburg, Virga. 24505
434-528-3995 www.WScottSmith.com

Nancy C (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2003 2:46AM GMT
Surnames: Duffel
The information in this original query was for an Edward Duffel in Pennsylvania. The only one listed in the Patriot Index was for Edward Duffel born in PA, having provided service as a Pvt. in NJ, and dying in Virginia. His wife was Elizabeth Leonard.

Is this the man you are inquiring about for your Virginia research?

The volunteer service for Patriot Index lookups is a service limited to determining patriot registration with the DAR. I have no other information for these boards. I'm sorry I can not assist you further. Perhaps it would service you to inquire of the lady posting this query. Nancy C

Posted: 31 Mar 2005 4:18AM GMT
This is very confusing. How can Edward Duffel be listed as both a Patriot and a Loyalist? And we are talking about the same man. The Edward Duffel born in PA was married to Elizabeth Leonard, *and* he had a brother James. Can anyone explain this? Or did some descendant down the line fudge the documents to make him more respectable? Does the DAR admit descendants of soldiers who fought on the Loyalist side? This seems highly unlikely, and yet, it seems to be case.

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2005 6:06PM GMT
I can't speak for the DAR's entry requirements, but many people ended up fighting on both sides during the Revolution. Some were pressed into British Navy service, and later escaped and served with the Whigs. Others may have joined a Loyalist Militia in the beginning of the war and later changeed their minds. Again, I don't know the details of the DAR's requirements, but I would think that it would matter what side the person was on at the end of the war, not at the beginning.

Christi Malone (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2005 11:00PM GMT
Thanks for your comments. You make a valid point, and I will have to do some more research.

Edward Duffel--American Revolution Vets?

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 3:40AM GMT
Hello, I, too, am interested in joining DAR and it seems there are some issues with the proof of Edward Duffel. Could you please help me with the proof you have? I see you have a 1777 document or petition. Is there any way that I could get a copy of that? I would be willing to cover any costs for that.

DAR applicants must prove all the way back and can't use any parts of other's applications since connect Edward Duffel to Philadelphia seems to be an issue. Are there any census, birth, death, or marriage records that exist?

Any help you can give me would be greatly apprciated.

If anyone else on this message board reads this and has input, please get in touch with me either through this board or directly at dcuroel@bellsouth.net.
Many thanks,
Cheryl Curole

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 3:44AM GMT
Hello, were you ever able to establish Edward Duffel in the Am Rev. and how? I, too, have the same issue. WEre you able to get any furth info from DAR or anywhere else to make you eligible in DAR? I'm going in on another ancestor; but, would like to know so I can eventually used Edward Duffel, too.
Thanks,
Cheryl Curole
dcurole@bellsouth.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions