Search for content in message boards

Baessler or Bessler

Baessler or Bessler

Posted: 29 Aug 2013 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Aug 2013 4:31AM GMT
Surnames: Baessler, Bessler
I am researching Jacob Ludwig Bessler b Jan 1839 Germany d May 1909 Phila., Pa. Recently I located where Jacob was buried and after examining the burial card, I'm trying to figure out why the last name is different from the one he used and was buried with. Would anyone know if the name Bessler is the Americanized version of the German name Baessler? And where would Baesslers have originated from in Germany?

Joanne
jm.jm3@brokenviolin.com

Re: Baessler or Bessler

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 11:23AM GMT
The obvious answer is that the name was spelt Bassler but with an umlaut (two little dot) over the "a") which would mean it was pronounced more like Bessler. If the umlaut is not there it would be spelled Baessler. He probably got fed up with explaining there should be an "e" and just simplified it for sound alone. It is not a common name and if you look it up in dastelefonbuch.de there is a map of distribution - all over the place I am afraid.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Baessler or Bessler
On the cemetery card, Jacob Ludwig Baessler, his wife & 2 sons are listed as "Baessler". Another son is listed as Charles J. "Bassler". On the headstones, as in life, they all went by the name "Bessler". So going by this, "Baessler" would be the original name then if I understand you correctly? (no umlaut over the a & prounounced as Bessler)

Joanne

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 9:12PM GMT
The original name was PROBABLY (there appears to be no way of proving it)
Ba(with umlaut)ssler. When he was in a place where it was not easy to get printed, or written, "a" with an umlaut, he would have spelled it "ae". This is the standard way of writing the modified vowels.

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: Baessler or Bessler
Thank you so much for your help with this. It can be rather confusing. Thank you for the web site also. That should be very helpful with other searches. Good luck with your research....

Joanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions