Search for content in message boards

Winns of Lunenburg Co.

Winns of Lunenburg Co.

Carolyn Winn Markie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Winn
My grandfather was Alexander C. Winn, son of James A. Winn and Elizabeth Ann Jackson Roach. James A. Winn was the son of James Winn and Betsy Powell. The Winns were born and owned land in Lunenburg Co. I am looking for any information you may have. Thank you, Carolyn Winn Markie

Powell/Winn

Carolyn Winn Markie (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Winn
John Powell b. abt 1744/45 married 1766 Sarah ? b. abt 1745/6 d. aft 1806. Children:John Jr.-b.1766/67-d.24 Jun 1802,George-b.1768,Grace-b.1770 married 24 Nov 1795 Thomas Newbill, Sally b. 1772 married 22 Sept 1815 Thomas Fears, Charlotte b. 1774 married 3 Feb 1804 John Winn (brother of James) Harriet- b. 1776 married 10 Mar 1828 Jesse Peebles, Betsy b. 1778 married 12 Jan 1804 James Winn, Lucy E. - b.1780 d. 1 Nov 1853. John Powell Sr. died 24 Jun 1802 in Lunenburg Co. VA. Does this help?

Winns of Lunenberg Co.

Chloe Hannah (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Winn, Powell, Tench, Price
I'm looking for the same line. My ancestor is John Chesteen Winn, son of James Winn and Elizabeth "Betsy" Powell, all of Lunenberg County. I can't find anything on her history. I have parents of James are John Winn and Susanna. John's parents are Daniel Winn and Sarah Virginia Tench. Have you found anything on the Powell's?
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2002 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Powell
My father was Chesteen Powell. Born in Telfair or Jeff Davis county, Ga. Moved to West Palm Beach, Fl area. We had never heard of anyone with the name of Chesteen, except my Dad, until I began searching for family info. Grandmother never said, to my knowledge where the given name came from. However, it keeps appearing in searches of related families to POWELL. now the origin & lineage of the name Chesteen has me inquisitive!!!

Re: Powell/Winn

Posted: 7 May 2002 2:37PM GMT
good morning my winn is catherine winn b ~1770 d~1840 she married jesse laffoon wondering if you could help thanks

Re: Winns of Lunenburg Co.

Posted: 5 Oct 2002 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson, Westbrook
Hi Carolyn,
Is your Elizabeth Ann Jackson Roach the child of Martha Jackson and William Roach? I saw on another post where you were reseaching Josiah Jackson, Lunenburg Co., VA, m. Elizabeth, etc. Have you discovered any more information on this family? I am trying to pend down information on Carter Jackson and Dolly Westbrook having a son named William McBride Jackson. From on obit and memorial to William McBride Jackson the information states his father was Carter Jackson and that they moved from VA to N.C. to AL where I have found Carter Jackson in a Macon County Census 1850 and a 1860 Census listed as 80 years of age living in Macon Co., AL Please if you have any more information let me know. Thanks, Jerrie Oldmedic@aol.com

Re: Winns of Lunenberg Co.

Carolyn Markie (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 7:34PM GMT
Surnames: Powell, Winn, Newbill, Fears,Peebles
First, I'm sorry not to have gotten back to you sooner. I moved and changed my e-mail address and the messages from the Lunenburg Board haven't kept up with me. This is what I have found out. John Powell b. 1774/75 -d. 1784 married Sarah (last name unknown) in abt 1766. She was born abt 1774/75 and died aft 1806.They had 8 children:John,Jr. (-1766-1802),George (1768-?) Grace (1770-?) married Thomas Newbill, Sally (1772-?) married Thomas Fears, Charlotte (1774-?) married John Winn, the brother of James, Harriet (1776-?) married Jesse Peebles, Betsey (1778-?) married James Winn and Lucy E. (1780-1853). There is a great deal of information on the Newbill and Fears families at Ancestory World Tree Project. I have been unable to find the parents of John Powell, Sr. or his wife Sarah's maiden name. Your information about James Winn is correct I believe. Would like to know more of your Winn ancestory.

Carolyn Markie (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson, Winn, Roach, Dowdy, Westbrook
Sorry to be so long in getting back to you. I moved and changed e-mail address.Yes. That Elizabeth is the same one. Her parents were William Roach and Martha Jackson. Martha's father was Josiah Jackson whos will was dated 3 Sept 1786 and his wife Elizabeth. According to several Wills, Josiah had 2 brothers, Benjamin and Joel. In a court order dated 14 Aug 1820 it was ordered that Martha Roach be appointed guardian of Carter Josiah Jackson Roach, Elizabeth Ann Roach and Martha William Roach, orphan children of William Roach. A year later the guardian is changed to David G. Williams. Don't know why this happened.I had originally thought that Carter married Dolly Westbrook, but in looking back at the record, it says Carter Jackson, not Roach, married Dolly, so I have that part wrong. However, Elizabeth did marry James Winn and Martha married a Mr. John Dowdy. In a will written in 1833, a Carter Roach of Campbell Co., VA leaves his estate to his mother, Martha Roach. and when Martha Roach died (her will dated 1837) she left her estate to Elizabeth and Martha. Something must have happened in the family for a new guardian to have been named and also that Elizabeth Ann Jackson Roach went by the name of Elizabeth Ann Jackson on several occasions.Also, there is a note that in 1790 Martha and Carter Jackson , orphans of Josiah, buy 121 acres from Benjamin Jackson as Executor of Josiah's will. Therefore, I think that Martha's brother (not son) was the one who married Dolly in 1805. the person acting as surity for Carter and Dolly is a Stewart Jackson who is the son of Benjamin Jackson...Josiah's brother. I know this is long and involved..hope you can follow it.

Posted: 7 Feb 2003 8:36PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2003 12:23PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson, Westbrook, Winn, Roach
Dear Carolyn,
Thank you for your post. I am still lost and struggling. I am still looking for info on Carter Jackson and Dolly Westbrook with a child named William McBride Jackson. If you ever run across any information like that please let me know. My Carter Jackson's father supposedly Josiah Jackson. I saw somewhere where Carter and Martha Jackson mentioned in a will where it stated that "child unborn" which I assumed was a sister called Melissa (when born). I'll try and find this and send it to you. Thank you so much for remembering me. Please feel free to e-mail me when you have time. Thanks, Jerrie Oldmedic@aol.com

Posted: 24 Nov 2010 5:53AM GMT
hi im african american and have traced back to a mullato william henry wynn/winn of lunenburg co born 1841 did you guys come across any thing like that...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic