Search for content in message boards

Gomez,Goomes,NZ,

Gomez,Goomes,NZ,

Posted: 5 Apr 2003 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Teresa have posted some infro from my mothers side of the family hope this will help you a little bit Cheers Joe. The Goomes family in NZ had a reunion a few years ago I did not attend as I living in Australia but if there is another reunion I'll attend as mum passaway 5 years ago So if any of this helps you please keep in touch cheers

Re: Gomez,Goomes,NZ,

clara Bradley (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2004 10:06AM GMT
Hi

I am trying to located my grandmothers family. Her mothers name was Carrie Pretoria Goomes, they were living in
Invercargill NZ. I think Carrie married James Spencer
who start the oyster farming in Bluff. My grandmothers name was Joan Roa Hewitt (married name, Norman and
re-married under the name of buckingham). If you have any information I would love the hear from you. I am currently
living in Australia. I know this would be a long shot but the names you had mentioned sounded like a lead. Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards Clara Bradley

Posted: 17 May 2008 11:56AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas Chaseland
Hi clara sorry for being late better late then never, does this email work please email me back and let me know what you have.
cheers Joe

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: manuel Goomes
HI Joe and Clara , just checking out web and come across this site ,Clara I have met you when you were younger I am sure you have met the Hewitt's in Invercargill . Yes she was my aunty and I helped put her ashes beside her mother,Carrie, with your uncle Stephen at the Bluff cemetery. plenty of family info if you get round to answering this.I can be reached at wwwshewitt@xtra.co.nz

Posted: 19 Dec 2008 6:26AM GMT
Surnames: smith goomes chasland
hello teresa... are you from the goomes family from Bravo Stewart Island?? if so i have some things for you ..but you may already have them ..my name is christian smith ( also from the smith family of Bravo Island stewart island ....
please contact me on this email address

christiansmith @xtra.co.nz

look forward to hearing from you
chris smith

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 10:55AM GMT
Hi Joe,

I tried you email address but has bounced back to me. If you have any info on my family Joan Roa Hewitt would be much appreicated. Kind regards Clara

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 7:03AM GMT
Hi Clara drop me an email .
Cheers. Wayne Hewitt

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 1:00AM GMT
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for replying to my email. Sorry for the delay have been busy with the normal work and kids. I spoke to my parents last night who are coming down your way soon for a AGM on Stuart Island for the trust. I look forward to hearing from you soon with any info you have on Taua (joan)and history that we can pass onto our boys. My brother is currently over from NZ and living with us at the moment. He is thinking of getting a tattoo and looking at incorporating our family crest or something relating to our tribe - any pictures or suggestions would be great. Please feel free to contact me collect on Sydney 02 494 22098 for a chat at any time,and as Taua would always say at the end of her letters Aroha nui Clara xx

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 6:52AM GMT
HI My name is Louise Crouch my first cousin was Robert Weller son of Robert weller snr.and I received the family tree through him a few years ago before he was killed in a motor accident.I would very much like to know if you are at all related to me as I remember the family history suggested that we are decendants of the Gomez/Goomes family known from Stewart Island. I would love to hear from you.My grandmother on my mothers side who was Robert Seniors sister was named Hinemoa.My mother Rosa was a ward of the state along with Robert at two and three years of age and after 60 years apart he managed to trace my mother in Tauranga New Zealand, six months before she died 20 years ago.Along with Robert came the knowledge, of which, my mother had no idea that she had a brother as she had never persuade the family history.It was incredible the day they met and soon after I met Robert Jnr and we became really good friends and to my amazement and joy he had the family history.Without going into a lot of detail I would love to hear from you so we can chat further. Kindest Regards Louise Crouch P.O. Box 304 Hamilton Island Queensland Australia

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 9:28AM GMT
Hi Louise,

So nice to hear from you. My Grandmother (taua) as we called her, was Joan Roa hewitt, with a brother (I am not sure of his name, I never met him but I think it was Robert) their mother was Carrie Pretoria Goomes who I beleive married James Spencer they lived in the South Island. I have been told they had some land on Stuart island. Taua married Robert Norman and had four children, Eric, Judith, Stephen and my mum Susan. They at this stage had moved to Wellington. Taua divorced Robert and married Sid Buckingham when I was about 3 years old, they remained married until he died 15 years ago. Sadly Taua died 13 years ago in Levin. I was very close to Taua she always told me the stories of her childhood, how they use to hunt for mutton bird (which she always cooked for me and i loved)and how they were told not to talk Maori at school. Her cousin was the famous "Carmen" who also died a few years back. I believe the Spencer family had something to do with the Whaling and Oyster farming in invercargill. There is still family in invercargill with the names goomes and hewitt. My uncle Steve is quite up to date with our family tree, he should be able to clarify and confirm more details, If you like I can message him on facebook and ask him to make contact with you. Its strange you have emailled me today as i was cleaning out a cupboard an old photos of Carrie Goomes fell on the ground! the family spirt must be around me today. Would be great to hear if we are extended family, I notice you are in Hamilton Island, a great spot went there a few years ago. I am living in Newcastle with my Husband lee and two boys Chad 16 and Carson 13 enjoying the beachside living. We have our own business www.australianboatbrokers.com.au if you ever need a boat always happy to help. Life is good and i look forward to hearing from and as taua always used to write Aroha Nui Clara and Family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions