Search for content in message boards

exporting my Ancestry.com Tree back into Legacy software

exporting my Ancestry.com Tree back into Legacy software

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 12:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I started my tree in Legacy software, and love the program. When I joined Ancestry.com, I exported my tree from Legacy into Ancestry... and now I need to update my Legacy tree. What is the best way to do this. My ancestry tree has grown alot.

Thanks for your input,
Debbie Tavenner-Burns

Re: exporting my Ancestry.com Tree back into Legacy software

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 2:49AM GMT
You should probably have kept your Legacy tree up-to-date as you worked, unfortunately.

Looking at my own tree at Ancestry, I don't see any facility to download a file from there to your own computer. Or perhaps that's something you can do when you have a current subscription?

If you can download a file (probably a GEDCOM) then you can import that file into Legacy and combine (merge) the data with your current Legacy file.

But if you can't do that, you'll have to update your Legacy file person by person. What a pain! If this is the case, it's a short-coming of Ancestry, not Legacy.

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 4:34AM GMT
Wendy said:

"Looking at my own tree at Ancestry, I don't see any facility to download a file from there to your own computer. Or perhaps that's something you can do when you have a current subscription?"

Not looking very hard- are you?

1) go to any person's profile page.
2) hover mouse over "Tree pages" link right above person's name and click "Tree Settings.
3) in right sidebar click "download Gedcom"

Wendy also said...
"But if you can't do that, you'll have to update your Legacy file person by person. What a pain! If this is the case, it's a short-coming of Ancestry, not Legacy.
"

So if a program won't import another programs files it is the fault of the exporting program??

HOGWASH!!!!!

It is Legacy's failing as it doesn't accept *anything* other than that old outdated GEDCOM format. Even FTM-bad as it is-is better than that!
3)

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 2:03PM GMT
I've decided the 'best' way is to do all my work in Legacy. This means as I find stuff on Ancestry, update both places at the same time.

However, I'm also in the same situation. I went crazy on Ancestry attaching sources, and now need to sync with Legacy. I tried downloading a GEDCOM from Ancestry and using the merge facility, but that messed everything up. I rolled back to my backup. I then got out the manual and read up on the merge feature. This does not work as one would expect it too - namely deleting things from the source database. When I get some time to really focus on this issue, I'll try the merge again and hope I can get it right the next time.

I think it should go something like this:
- Make your backups
- Download GEDCOM from Ancestry
- Create a COPY of your family file in Legacy
- Import the GEDCOM into your new copy
- Run the merge tool (read up on this)
- Really take your time on the merge process
- Maybe run LTools to merge the imported basic sources into your existing SW sources. (Or, I am thinking of just dumping SW. The bad outweighs the good I think.)

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 2:24PM GMT
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I guess for now, I will manually add the verified information that I find on Ancestry into my Legacy tree.

Please keep me updated if you find out anything else.

Thanks,
Debbie

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 8:36PM GMT
AGH,

"Not looking very hard- are you?"

No, I didn't. I was looking for a one-step method, not one that took a click on something that doesn't sound (to someone not familiar with the process there) like what I was looking for to get to what was wanted.

I don't spend a lot of time at Ancestry (except for the message boards that interest me) and don't have a current sub; I have a bare-bones tree there in the hopes that someone else might come across the names as ones in their tree and make contact with me.

Not that it mattered for a moment, since I carried on to give some idea of what the steps were if such a thing (that I hadn't been able to find) were possible. Which it turned out it was.

"So if a program won't import another programs files it is the fault of the exporting program??"

What program file? The only option to export at Ancestry is the GEDCOM format. How is that Legacy's fault?

We aren't here to bash Legacy, we're here to help Debbie update her Legacy file. Any more posts that get off the topic - especially if they're trashing someone who was trying to help - will be deleted.

Regards,
Wendy Howard
Board Admin

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 8:49PM GMT
Hi Debbie,

Now that we know it can be done, you should download the GEDCOM file from Ancestry and import it into Legacy, separate from your "main" file there. Take a look at it and see what it contains, it might be easier/quicker to merge that file with your main file than to do each individual separately, bit by bit. It depends on how much new information is in the new GEDCOM, and how much isn't exported from Ancestry.

I choose to keep all my data in my Legacy database. I'm a bit wary of relying on an online resource (like Ancestry) that might not be available to me when I want it. Being offline periodically might not be an issue where you are, but it is for me.

In my Legacy database, I've reserved one of the tags for people I want to include in the online databases (like Ancestry and Genes Reunited where you can store trees). When I'm ready to update the online sites I create a new file containing only those tagged people, check for any data I don't want included (just in case I overlooked something), then create the GEDCOM that I'll upload to those sites.

I don't include sources, events, etc in those GEDCOM files, their purpose is to connect with others, who I will then share information with after we've established that connection.

When I am using a site like Ancestry, and find images of documents that relate to my people, I download the image to my computer so that I have it to hand when I want to look at it, and don't have to go online, find the site, find the right person...

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 9:53PM GMT
Wendy,

Yes your information helps me alot. I have started saving the source information onto my computer (copy/paste into word) or download it. I don't want to rely just online either.

Thank you so much.

Debbie

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 1:17PM GMT
I have followed these instructions exactly, but when I get to the "Tree Settings" page, there is not a button that says "Export". There is nothing on that page that says anything like export. So how do I export my Ancestry tree to my computer?

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 12:40PM GMT
Hmm, if you own the tree it should be there.

Once on the "Tree Settings" page, there are three buttons across the top - "Tree Info", "Privacy Settings" and "Sharing". The button to export is on the "Tree Info" page. It's on the right hand side and is labeled "Export Tree".

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions