Search for content in message boards

Edward and Arminda Karn

Edward and Arminda Karn

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Might someone be able to assist me. I will share all information I have at the moment.

I am looking for any information on Edward N Karn and his wife, Arminda. The are listed in the 1870 and 1880 census of Jefferson County. I do have a approximant birth date and death dates for both as they are listed in the cemetery index of New Hope Cemetery along with several of their children. At least 5 of their children died as infants including two sets of twins.

I have looked at several on line trees that have their marriage as, I believe, 24 Dec 1868, although I have yet to find a source for that date. It is not in the Illinois Marriage Index and I have searched with several variations on the spelling of Edwards name.

If this marriage date is correct then the first two children listed in the census are not their children. They would have to be from a previous marriage. Here lies a problem, again several on line trees have Arminda married to a Lewis Grow first and then to a David Campbell, these two marriages are in the Illinois Marriage Index but they also list her first name as Elizabeth. The on line trees list her as Elizabeth Ann Arminda Lewis Dobbins. They have her maiden name as Dobbins, yet in the Illinois Birth and Christening Index she is listed as Arminda Lewis, Lewis being her maiden name. On the death certificates of two of her children she is listed as maiden name Lewis. One of those children being the wife of my first cousin.. In the 1880 census she also has a sister living with her by the name of Alice Lewis. I can’t connect the name Lewis with Dobbins, might someone be able to help.

There is an Elizabeth Dobbins in Randolph County, where her marriage to Lewis Grow took place. She also filed on his Civil War Pension for a minor in 1875, that would be 7 years after he supposed marriage to Edward Karn, but she filed as Elizabeth Grow. Census and birth and death index always list the wife of Edward as Arminda,never Elizabeth.

Thanks

Randy Crain

Re: Edward and Arminda Karn

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 10:19PM GMT
I am aware that this doesn't answer your question but thought the information could be helpful.

Jefferson County, IL Guardianships

Frank L. Karn born Aug 30, 1874
Kate Karn born November 15, 1876
Ernest E. Karn born May 7, 1878
Fred W. Karn born January 18, 1880
Minnie Karn born September 11, 1881
Harry B. Karn born February 7, 1883
Minor heirs of Edmund N. Karn
January 4, 1894
Robert B. Karn (brother)guardian; Chester Woodworth,
James M. King, & Esbon Merrill, bondsmen.

Ara Belle Karn born February 28, 1863, minor heir of Mary Karn (mother). Hiram V. Albright, guardian; John A. Greenhoe, bondsman. Mother of the minor was living but said to be insane.
February 13, 1975.

Mary

Re: Edward and Arminda Karn

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:02PM GMT
Jefferson County, IL Marriages

Robert B. Karn married December 8,1898 to May Boyle
Frank L. Karn married July 30, 1899 to Ora Mace
Minnie Karn married September 28, 1899 to Edward Underwood

All these Karns children give their parents as
Edward/Edmund N. Karn & Arminda A. Louis.

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic