Search for content in message boards

Halvor G. WIGEN

Halvor G. WIGEN

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WIGEN
Looking for any information on Halvor G. WIGEN. BLM-GLO (website) land records indicates 80 acres in Dunn Co. issued to him 15 Jan 1884. Cannot locate Halvor or family after that date.

Is this the man? - Halvor GJELVOLDSEN (sp?); born 15 Mar 1838 at Vigen in Yttre Rendal, Hedmark, Norway. Married to Eli CHRISTENSDATTER of Hagen in Ringebu.

Grateful for any help.

Ty Christiansen

Re: Halvor G. WIGEN

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Wigen
Hi Ty!

What is the location or description of the land parcel? You maybe able to track the family that way. By Description I mean "Township, Range, Section, etc." It is possible that this may be the correct individual, but it would need documentation.

Alan

Posted: 30 Jan 2008 4:40PM GMT
Thank you for the reply.

Land description from GLO website: Aliquot Parts-N1/2SE; Sec/Block-15; Twp-31N; Range-12W. I do not have a map which defines that location.

Looking at 1880 through 1920 Censuses, Dunn Co. (WIGenWeb) and UW-Stout websites, I did not find mention of Halvor G. WIGEN.

I hope someone with knowledge of the man and his family will provide answers.

Thank you,
Ty Christiansen

Posted: 31 Jan 2008 12:18AM GMT
This is what is now the Town of Wilson and is just off Hwy w between Hwys 25 and 64 southeast of Ridgeland.

I do seem to recall that surname in that area, however if that is not the case, maybe Halvor decided to use his patronym (ie, Christiansen or Knutson), if that is the case it might help to look at the parcel in a plat book from the period.

Alan

Posted: 31 Jan 2008 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: Wigen, Vigen, Wegan
Ty
I found this in the 1880 Census of Sheridan Town, Dunn county, WI. Sheridan was divided in half (between 1890-1900) with the eastern half becoming the Town of Wilson. Also there were Wegans in the 1930 Ridgeland phone book.

Halver WEGAN Self M Male W 42 NORW NORW NORW
Ellen WEGAN Wife M Female W 36 NORW Keeping House NORW NORW
Samuel WEGAN Son S Male W 15 NORW NORW NORW
Sophia WEGAN Dau S Female W 12 MN NORW NORW
Christ WEGAN Son S Male W 9 MN NORW NORW
Augustus WEGAN Son S Male W 7 MN NORW NORW
Martha WEGAN Dau S Female W 4 WI NORW NORW
Ellen WEGAN Dau S Female W 2M WI NORW NORW

Posted: 31 Jan 2008 1:16AM GMT
Then there are many Wigans, including Ellen Wigan (b1844) and Gust Wigan (b1874) listed in the 1900 Census for Wilson Township, Dunn county, WI. Ellen = Eli, Gust = Augustus.

Posted: 1 Feb 2008 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: WIGEN, WIGAN, WEGAN
Alan,

Thank you for the information and pointing me in the right direction. In my haste, I didn't try all the various spellings of WIGEN in the Censuses. Also, did not look beyond cemetery index at UW-Stout ARC online. Admittedly, sloppy research on my part.

Appears that Ellen WIGEN (WIGAN, etc.) of Dunn County is the daughter of Christen HANSEN and Sidsel ERIKSDATTER, of Hagen farm in Fåvang in Ringebu. Born Eli (or Elen) 11 Jun 1843, according to Ringebu Parish records. She is listed as 'Ellen' WIGAN, as you noted, in 1900 Census, widowed and living with sons Martin and Gust, and daughter Anna.

Halvor was born 15 Mar 1838 at Vigen in Yttre Rendal in Hedmark. His father was Gjelvald (or Gjetvold) SIMONSEN. The 1865 Census of Rendal, at Norwegian Digital Archives, lists the family name as "Gjetvoldsen". I don't know which is correct.

Halvor and Eli's oldest son was Simen (Simon), born 26 Aug 1865 at Hagen.

Would like to know when Halvor and Ellen died and where they are buried.

Ty Christiansen

Posted: 1 Feb 2008 6:03PM GMT
Surnames: Wigen
Not a problem Ty, I have two sets of ancestors who lived within two miles or so of Halvor and Ellen, so I am certain they knew each other, as well as one set, Jacob and Anna (Ingebretsd.) Knutson, who were married at the Stavkirke in Ringebu in 1863. These families are buried at the Hay River Lutheran church cemetery in Hay River township about 4 miles or so south of the area we are talking about. I also believe the transcription available on line is only a partial transcription (section 1) of the cemetery. I noticed that Halvor and Ellen had a few children born in Minnesota, have you determined where in Minnesota they were, I know Jacob and Anna first went to Fillmore county in MN and then came to Dunn county.

Alan

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: WIGEN, SAMUELSEN, CLEMETSEN, CHRISTIANSEN, MORTENSEN, ELIASEN, TOYCEN
Alan,

I appreciate your comment that the Cemetery Index is not complete. Gives me hope that Halvor and Ellen WIGEN might be included in the future. I used various spellings, but no success.

Ellen's aunt also lived nearby in Wilson Twp. She was Anne HANSDATTER (of Hagen); married to Clemet SAMUELSEN. Their son was Hans CLEMETSEN (various spellings found). Two daughters, Martha and Elise (Lisa).

Also, in the neighborhood in 1880 and for a few years after, was Ellen's cousin, Hans Edvard CHRISTIANSEN. He was the oldest child of Ellen's aunt, Elen (Eli) HANSDATTER. Elen (b. 1821 at Hagen) was married to Christian CHRISTOPHERSEN of Gausdal in Oppland. Hans was married to Caroline Marie MORTENSDATTER. Caroline's parents and several siblings immigrated to Dunn County in the early 1880's. Hans and family eventually settled in Duluth.

Hans' oldest, son Christopher, married Rachel Johanna ELIASON, of Oliver ELIASON and Kirstine ISAKSDATTER, of Ridgeland.

Finally, the enumerator of the 1900 Census of that part of Wilson Twp. was John TOYCEN. He was a brother of my great-grandmother, Josphine Sophia TOYCEN (1861-1941).

Please forgive the name-dropping. I just wanted to show that I have a strong interest in Dunn County.

Incidentally, I could not find Halvor and Ellen in Minnesota in 1870.

Thanks again,
Ty Christiansen

Posted: 5 Feb 2008 3:34AM GMT
Surnames: Wigen, Mork, Clemetson, Hagen, Myrhagen
Hi Ty,

There are still other possibilities to check, both MN and WI had state censuses taken at the half decade, that information might prove to be valuable (I think both states continued until 1905). Now the interesting part, I think we have a connection, I have a Hans Clemetson (Klemmetson in 1880 census) (who lived around Ridgeland, Town of Sheridan) he married my ggrandmothers sister, Anna Maria Hansd. Mork, which would make him my g-g-uncle. I show Hans and family in the 1880 census about 20 or so households away from the Wigens. The farm name, in Norway, I have for Hans Clemetson is "Myrhagen." I knew their son Anton Clemetson (he married my grandmother's sister-in-law (her brother's widow), just a bigger web I guess (I guess he was connected to me in a couple of ways). In terms of the Hay River Church Cem, my grandmother's parents and siblings are buried there and do not appear in the transcription on-line, so you take it from there as to the completeness of the transcription.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions