Search for content in message boards

Martin and James Garland

Martin and James Garland

Posted: 29 Dec 2001 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information about two bothers. Martin Nov. 1852 and James about Jan. 1852. Martin arrived in the USA in 1877 and was living in New York City at his death in 1909. His brother, James arrived in Philadelphia in 1878 and died there after 1910.

Re: Martin and James Garland

Lynn Garland Quillen (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2002 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2008 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: Garland, Kyle
Hi. I have no info. on your Martin and James, but I was
wondering if you've heard of John Garland who married Mary Kyle, both buried in Armagh. Birthdates were circa 1860-70.
They are my grgrandparents. Their son, Richard Garland,
b. circa 1890, lived in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. His sister
visited their gravesites, so I'm told.

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 2:20PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2002 1:33PM GMT
Sorry Lynn, I have not run across any of your line, but if I do will let you know

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 2:59PM GMT
Dear Thomas:

I am also looking for information on Martins and Garlands. My great grandfather, John Martin, married Mariah Garland, of Corbeg, Monaghan, on Dec 24, 1868. They continued to live on the Garland farm in Corbeg, until they emigratged to Toronto, in 1891, with their 14 children. I received an extensive family tree map for the Garlands , and have located where Mariah fits in. The farm in Corbeg, is currently occupied by Wilf and Elizabeth Garland.

Please advise if you feel we have the correct families.

John's father was James Martin and his mother was Jane Wallace.

Do you know where your Martins and Garlands resided, in Armagh, in the mid 1880's ??

Kindest Regards,

Jim White,

Naples, Florida

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 9:39PM GMT
Hi Jim,

None of the names you list arte familar to me, but corrections to my first message.

James b. Jan. 1852 and Martin b. Nov. 1857 were sons of James Garland and Mary {unknown last name} James settled in Philadelphia while Martin settled in New York. I do not know if there were any other children. I've recently made conntec with the Philadelphia branch

Tom Garland

Brooklyn NY

Julie Hu (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2003 3:31PM GMT
Had to respond to your mention of a Richard Garland. A Richard Garland, born in 1840 in Newtown Hamilton, Co. Armagh, later emigrated to Lexington, Kentucky. Married Catherine Houlihan, became a city councilor in Lexington. Some McElroy cousins of his, as well as some McKees, also from the same area of Newton-Hamilton, and a brother, Peter, both preceded and followed him to Lexington. I am interested in knowing his parents' names, to help in tracing the McElroy and McKee connection. with the Garlands.

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Garland
If they are who I think they are, they are my great great uncles from Mullinary outside Blackwatertown Co. Armagh. 4 of my great aunts emigrated to James between 1900 and 1916. Is this any help

Posted: 1 Mar 2010 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Garland, James and Martin
Hello, I am still interested in James and Martin. James is my great grandfather. I must report that Tom Garland passed away last year, he made the original post. We had worked together on finding our relatives. Please contact me. Thank you.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 12:05PM GMT
Correction: John Garland and Mary Kyle emigrated to the US and died in Rhode Island. They are buried in Central Falls.

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 7:47PM GMT
Just reading thru some old posts. I'd like to compare notes. Reach me at joanne158 at msn Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic