Search for content in message boards

Smith - Jefferson County, Illinois - mid to late 1800's

Smith - Jefferson County, Illinois - mid to late 1800's

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 1:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
Trying to find some information on the family of Jonathan and Mary Smith, of Mt. Vernon Illinois, in the mid to late 1800's.

According to the 1880 census there was Jonathan (b. 1850), Mary (b. 1851) and their children, Walter (b. 1872), Charles (b. 1875) and Reliefie (b. 1877) living in Mt. Vernon.

I'm hoping to find out if the Walter in this family is my great grandfather, who moved to Missouri sometime in the late 1800's and married Sophia Maggie Brandt, in Nevada, MO. in 1899, before settling in Kansas City.

According to Walter's death certificate, his father and mother were a Jonathan and Mary (nothing else), and it says he was born in Matoon, IL. Searching the census records there, I wasn't able to find them.

What is leading me to check Jefferson County, aside from the names, is that my great uncle Paul Stewart Smith was said to be visiting family members in Mt. Vernon IL., when he died in 1944.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.. This has been a roadblock for a long time and I'd like to find the right path..

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Smith - Jefferson County, Illinois - mid to late 1800's

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:04PM GMT
Jefferson County, IL Marriages 1878-1899

Walter Smith born about 1872
f. John T. Smith
m. ________ Casey
married January 9, 1896
Ida Fisher born about 1876
f. William P. Fisher
m. Permelia A. Garner

He is living with his parents in Jef Co IL on the 1900 census. Maybe this eliminates him.

Mary

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 12:12PM GMT
Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply. This is the same Smith family from my initial post, right? If so, your information does eliminate them, which helps a lot.

With the name so common this branch has been our brick wall, but not there's a small crack we can try to work through. Thanks once again.. Any ideas you have on finding out more on the Smith family in Illinois around the 1850's to 1900??

Robert

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 10:27PM GMT
Have you tried ordering a copy of the marriage to see if parents names were listed? I believe in Ill. that starts in 1872.

Acc. to marriage records: Walter S. Smith of Nevada, Vernon Co., Mo. married Sopha/Sapha Bryant in Dec 1897 in Vernon Co., Mo.

Patricia

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 10:28PM GMT
Forgot to list the date of marriage as 9th Dec.

Patricia

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 1:45PM GMT
I have great sympathy - I'm also searching for Smiths. Mine were in Jefferson Co at the same time but don't seem to be related.

Just checked the IL database for marriages in Coles County (Matoon location) and saw a possibility -- John A Smith to Mary Kincaide in 1871. Looks promising, since Walter was born in 1872.

Cheryl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions