Search for content in message boards

Israel Boone's (brother of Daniel) unknown wife

Israel Boone's (brother of Daniel) unknown wife

Posted: 29 Jul 2005 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been following Israel Boone's mystery wife for about 5 years now. Just recently started to search the message boards again, and I see that no new information has surfaced. Hah....I am just about ready to go dig up the body for DNA testing! Wasn't she buried alongside him in NC? Oh, well.....if anyone learns anything new, please post or email me. My research of this line stops here (well, except for Squire Boone and back). This is so frustrating because you would think that since this is such a well known family, there would be some kind of documentation somewhere that a much better genealogist/historian than me could find!

Re: Israel Boone's (brother of Daniel) unknown wife

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 11:15PM GMT
I would like that piece of the puzzle too! I have seen the wife" name as Martha and that she was an Indian. Others say that is not true. I am descended from their son Jesse.

Posted: 7 Sep 2005 7:37PM GMT
I am also from this line
Israel, Jesse, Jonathon, Daniel.
I am looking for early info. on Daniel b.1816 in ash co. n.c. moved to Mo. around 1830 and on to Tx. in 1850. married Judah Helton in Mo. 1837
I would appreciate any info you might have on any of these.
Thanks
Jack

Posted: 26 Sep 2005 12:36AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2005 7:39PM GMT
I am interested to know if anyone has info on daughter of Isreal- Mary Elizabeth Boone b. 1752. I believe she my have married John Couch. Do you have anything on her??

Judith

Joyce House-Reeves (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2005 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Boone, Couch
Jack,
In 1810 Ashe County NC, one of the Jonathan Boones lived next to John Couch. It is very likely this was John Couch, Jr. son of John Couch, Sr. and Mary Elizabeth Boone. It is family tradition Mary/Polly Boone was closely related to the Squire Boone family, and that she was part Indian. I agree that it is very unusual in a family so well known for no one to know the name of Israel's wife. Could she be the mother of our Mary Elizabeth? I have seen listed a dau by that name, but that has only been on the internet since we discovered Elizabeth was the middle name of our Mary.
John Couch Sr., btw, lived in Fincastle, Botetourt and Montgomery Counties VA in early 1770's, and on the 1800 Ashe County census, if that helps in any way. At least one of Israel's sons was in VA with his uncle Daniel before the move into Kentucky.
Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.
Joyce House-Reeves

Jack (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2005 4:06PM GMT
Hello, Judith
I finally got a copy of a book written by Alice Boone on the Descandants of Israel Boone from a library in Tennessee.
on page 32 it has Elizabeth Boone b.28 Nov. 1752 in Rowan Co. N.C. daughter of Israel Boone,
m. abt 1770 to John Power Jr. b 1748 in Virginia
d.1802 in Fayette Co. Ky. I did not find any Couch's listed in the surname index.

Posted: 27 Sep 2005 6:12PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2005 7:39PM GMT
Jack,
Does the book have any type of reference to where they married or any type of proof listed for their marriage? I have contacted several people who have her listed as marring a John Poar/Power, but none can give any type of documented proof, only state, that is what they were told.
I, and other family members are and have been searching hi and low for our Mary Elizabeth Boone, which we know is was a Boone and was married to John Couch per and old land document which list her by full name, wife of John Couch and with child. Have you or anyone ever seen our Mary Polly anywhere??

Judith

Jack (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2005 7:54PM GMT
no reference to the marriage but on page 33 it says they moved to Fayette Co. Ky. in 1780-1781 and John Power was listed on the tax records from 1787 until 1802, when he is listed as deceased. Elizabeth appears on the record in 1803 and is listed until 1817,
when she died.
on page 60 there is a Mary A "Polly" Boone b.1-31-1802 in Burke Co.N.C. d. 2-23-1886 in Andrews Co. Mo. m.9-9-1821 in Wayne Co. Ky t o William Franklin McKinney.
hope this helps
Jack

Posted: 6 Oct 2005 9:48PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2006 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Boone, Edgemon
Hi, Jack -

I, too, am descended from Jesse Boone. Israel did indeed marry a Seneca Indian, but I have no record of her name. They were married on Dec. 13, 1747 in Exeter, Berks County, PA.

The history of the Seneca Indian woman as the wife of Israel Boone has been in our family for years and years. The family anecdotes have it that when these two were married, they were "read out" of Quaker Meeting because Israel had "married out" to a non-Quaker, and the Indian woman was ostracized by her Seneca tribe for marrying a white man.

Nancy

Posted: 7 Oct 2005 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 3:16AM GMT
I was so excited to hear this news! No one has ever been able to share the specific details of this marriage other than that Israel "married out." Is this just a family tradition? Do you have any other proof? Thank you so much for sharing this!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic