Search for content in message boards

Gaw

Posted: 22 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Mar 2002 5:15AM GMT
Surnames: Gaw
Looking for information on John Gaw.He moved to Ireland
From England.He was married to Annie (Quaie)Gaw.He had children.Their names were Robert John Gaw,and Aggie?
Robert left Ireland around 1910 and went to Toronto Cananda.Aggie married a man from Bally Halbert.His surname was Ballie.Robert was raised in Bally Walter or Bally Water.Any information would be helpful.Thank you,Lori

ROBERT OR JOHN

JULIE GAW CARRIER (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GAW
LORI i THINK WERE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME FAMILY I'AM TRYING OT FIND OUT INFORMATION ON ROBERT GAW HE LEFT BALLYWATTERS C. DOWN N.IRELAND IN 1923 WITH A GROUP OF YOUNG MEN GO TO BURLINGTON ONTARIO.Iam NOT REAL SURE ON HIS FAMILY YET WAITING FOR BIRTH RECORDS. ROBERT MARRIED ALICE,AND HAD TWO SONS ROBERT JR. AND WILLIAM. PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY INFO THNK YOU JULIE

Family Surname Gaw

Penney Gaw (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
My family surname is also Gaw. Both my Dad and Grandpa are
both called Robert John Gaw. My Grandpa is from Ireland.
If I can be of any help please contact me.

Gaw - County Down

Wendy Gaw Armstrong (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gaw, Tolson
Hi Lori. My great-grandfather is William Bowden Gaw, born in Ballywalter, Down in 1868. He traveled to America with his brother James @ 1888. I believe their mother may have been Agnes Bowden Gaw, and father Thomas? We have a letter in our family that once belonged to William, from a nephew in Ballywalter. The letter asks for money and that his mother (William's sister) Maggie was fine. James later settled in NYC and William in Kansas City. William became a cattle inspector with the US Govt and married Anne Tolson @ 1895. They had three children, my grandfather Norman was born in Kansas City, KS in 1900. I too am interested in the Gaws from Ballywalter, I understand there was a large concentration of the family there and I believe they originally came from England. I have found the surname Gaw in many British surname books. It doesn't seem to be an Irish Clan. I would appreciate hearing more info on your family. Thank you, Wendy Gaw Armstrong

Gaw, Ballywalter

Posted: 31 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 1:53AM GMT
Curiously the 1886 Directory for Ballywalter/ Down does not list any Gaws although the list may not be complete. The name Gaw is found in nearby Groomsport and the Bangor Abbey Graveyard lists a James Gaw of Groomsport whose son, Campbell died July 17, 1856 aged 4 years
In 1863 James Gaw is listed as a Groomsport Farmer.
The Ulster Historical Foundation in Belfast may have published the gravestone inscriptions for Ballywalter and this may of help. It could be Vo. 16 but you should ask them to make sure. In 1886 A William Boden is listed as a cooper in Ballywalter. Gaw and MacGaw are a variant of MacCaw and derives from the Gaelic Mag Adhaimh, a local form of Adam. It is also the name of a branch of the Scots clan MacFarlane.
Posted: 8 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 1:53AM GMT
Parish of Groomsport 1852
Gaw, James, Ballygrainey, farmer

Re: Gaw

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 9:31PM GMT
Hello Hugh -
I'm sorry I haven't replied to you sooner. Thank you so very much for your information. I have just recently been informed by a family member that William Bowden Gaw's parents are James Andrew Bowden Gaw and Mary Harrison. It seems that a cousin has been in possession of two bibles, one for William and the other for his brother James, from their christenings (presbyterian). I'm anxiously waiting for more information on theses bibles ie; church, year, etc. Your information on James Gaw may prove to be very valuable! I will be in touch when I learn more. Thank you again! Wendy Armstrong

Re: Gaw - County Down

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 12:32AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2002 10:46AM GMT
There were Gaw's in my family that are connected to the HARPER's of Ballywalter.

Larry

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 7:00AM GMT
Hi Larry,
Do you haveany information on Eliazabeth Gaw, married to John Warnock. they had a son John for August 16th 1865 in Ballylessons. Down Ireland. I think this is located near Saintlfield and the now call it Lessons.
Thanks Joan Boucher.

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 7:01AM GMT
Hi Larry,
Do you haveany information on Eliazabeth Gaw, married to John Warnock. they had a son John for August 16th 1865 in Ballylessons. Down Ireland. I think this is located near Saintfield and the now call it Lessons.
Thanks Joan Boucher.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic