Search for content in message boards

Davis Pigg

Posted: 11 Jan 2002 5:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2003 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Pigg
Looking for info on Davis Pigg, fought in the civil war in Arkansas possibly Pope County don't know whether north or south. He was born around 1827 in Tennessee and resided in Pope County Arkansas before 1860-70.

Re: Davis Pigg

Posted: 14 Jan 2002 7:37AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2005 8:24AM GMT

I heard some where that Davis was killed in the civil war fighting for the rebs. I want to know where in TN Davis was born. I think in McNairy County just across the MS/TN state line. We think his parents were Nimrod and Lucinda Pigg. An Audrey Church on the Ancestry.com forum, Audrey says there was more kids in Nimrod's family than I am aware of. I think Nimrod was my ggggrandaddy, b in 1798 in Surry County, NC. We think Nimrod was kin to Nathan and his son John Pigg as John had a son named Alvis. That is not a common name but My gggrandaddy was also named Alvis. Nathan was b in about 1771-4 and John was b in about 1795. We think but don't know for sure that Davis had these siblings all listed in the 1850 Tishomingo CO MS census Davis 23, Alvis 21, Laurana 18, Coleman 16, Isaac 11 Ellender 8. Davis' wife was Martha. I did know her maiden name but can't find it real quick. I can tell you more about my line of Piggs if you are interested.

dwstrahan@pdq.net

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 8:46PM GMT
Did your Alvis Pigg live in Arkansas? What were the names of Alvis's children and wife? Where and when did he die?
Thanks for the info!

Posted: 16 Jan 2002 6:54AM GMT
We think Nimrod Pigg and Lucinda were the parents of Davis and Alvis #1 Pigg. We know for a fact that this Alvis had the following children: Phebe, William, Alvis #2, Isaac and Davis D. Pigg. This Alvis #2 and his brother Isaac did move to Sevier County AR (De Queen)about 1888 then about 1900 both moved to Indian Territory (McCurtain County Oklahoma). This Alvis #2 died in December of 1915. Isaac's grandson's widow still lives at Garvin in that County. Alvis #2 was the father of my paternal grandmother. I have a list of Alvis' children some where here but from memory here is part of the family: Mary, Vella Jane (my grandmother), George Sallie, Roxie, Ida, Wesley, Walter, and Alvis Jr. These children were born between 1872 and 1898.

In this and Ancestry.com Forums we find a Nathan Pigg who had a son named John who had a son Named Alvis b abt 1850. Our Alvis #2 was b in 1852. That name is not common so we think these families were related, probably cousins. Nimrod was in the 1837 MS state censusthrough the 1870 U S census in Tishomingo County MS. There was also a lot of Piggs in Leake Couty MS at that same time but I have not been able to make a connection. I would like to get anything you may have on the Pigg families.

There was and still are a lot of Piggs in Wayne County TN. In both Leaks Co and Wayne co there are more than one clan or family in each county that no one can make a connection with each other. There is a James Carson Pigg in SC who wrote the most complete book on the many Pigg families. He said that brothers Wiliiam and Martin Pigg came out of N C about 1800 and populeted most of the country. So any Piggs with those givne names were their offspring.

Posted: 16 Jan 2002 8:28AM GMT

I forgot to mention that Alvis (b abt 1828) #1's wife's name was Nancy Washburn and Alvis #2s (b abt 1852) wife was Ellen Bradwin

Posted: 18 Jan 2002 6:31PM GMT
I am the grandaughter of Presley Pigg, child of Davis. They were in Pope County, Arkansas, 1860. I feel sure that Davis and Alvis ll l are brothers but have no proof. Presley and family moved to Indian Territory 1887 or 1888 near Comanche, Oklahoma. Presley, his mother "Martha Curtis Pigg Livingston", 2 half sisters and families are all buried at Comanche Oklahoma Cemetery. I am not on the internet but if you will remit your name and address I will exchange info.
Joyce Sides Frechette
ps I do not tthink Lucinlda is mother of Davis Pigg. No proof, but she seems to young and 1850 census to be his first wife.

Posted: 19 Jan 2002 6:44AM GMT

None of my business but is Simmons related to you? I have written you a snail mail letter. Are you sure you have not skipped a generation. I don't think you are old enough to be Presley's grandaughter or Davis to be your ggrandaughter. I ma now 73 and Alvis #2 in my ggrandaddy. Nimrod would have been my ggggrandaddy. Davis was a brother to Alvis #1. My line is Nimrod b 1798 to Alvis #1 b 1828 then Alvis #2 b 1852 then to my grandmother Vella Jane Pigg Strahan b 1879 to her son Oacar Louis Strahan b 1904 then me Dwight Wesley Strahan b 1928. So from Alvis #1 to me has been 100 years and five generations. I am trying to find out where Alvis #1 moved to from Tishomingo Co Ms to where. I think they may have gone back to TN where they were all born except Nimrod. then after 1880 they moved to Sevier Co AR. The first place they show up in Sevier CO is the school taxes rolls in 1888.

Posted: 10 Feb 2002 2:11PM GMT
I have a Davis Holder Pigg b August 1832 in TN. A Civil War soldier. A Private in Company B 110th Infantry Regiment. Married twice. First wife Julia Hill and had 7 c. Second wife Olivia Ann Elizabeth Bridges and had 2 c. Let me know if we connect. Vicki

bill abbott (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 6:58PM GMT
I am grandaughter of anderson clark pigg, brother of presley. Our father was Davis pigg. Grandfather Nimrod pigg whos wife was Lucinda. Have more info if you are interested.

Vicki (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2002 3:43AM GMT
Vicki,
I have a Davis Holder Pigg born 1832. I am researching Piggs from Jefferson Co. IL. e-mail me: rognvic@charter.net
Vicki C.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions