Search for content in message boards

LEVI BOWLING, born abt 1780 on 1830-1840 CENSUS

LEVI BOWLING, born abt 1780 on 1830-1840 CENSUS

Posted: 15 Mar 2005 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOWLIN/G, VAUGHAN, RAINS
I am looking for Levi Bowling descendents. Levi is found on Hawkins Co 1830 and 1840 Hawkins co TN censuses. My ggg grandmother Nancy Bowlin Vaughan is living next door to Levi in 1830 with her husband Wilson Vaughan and children. Levi in 1830 is shown as having 6 children (3 boys and 3 girls) living in the household.
In 1840 Thomas Rains is living between Nancy (Wilson is no longer in the household) Vaughan which leads me to believe that Thomas Rains may have married one of Levi's daughters. James Bowling is living on the other side of Levi.
Does anyone have any information about these families?

Re: LEVI BOWLING, born abt 1780 on 1830-1840 CENSUS

Brian Bowlin (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2006 6:00PM GMT
Phyllis,

Please email me regarding Levi Bowlin.

brianbowlin@hotmail.com

Thanks,
brian Bowlin

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 8:06AM GMT
Surnames: Boling, Bowling, Bolen, Lawson, Bledsoe
Phyllis,

Just came across your note. I am looking for information on my earliest known ancestor - William Bowling or Boling b 1776 in Virginia and found on some of the same Hawkins County lists as Levi. I am wondering if they were brothers. William married Nancy Lawson (note there are also a lot of Lawsons in Hawkins County) sometime before 1804, when their first son Pleasant was born. Pleasant married Margaret Bledsoe (also a Hawkins County family) around 1824 and is also listed on the Hawkins County tax lists in the 1830's. Pleasant and Margaret named their first son James b. 1825 (that would be my gg grandfather). Perhaps the James, William and Levi Bowlings of Hawkins County were brothers, and Pleasant named his son after his uncle James? That is a lot of guessing, I know.

I am corresponding with Ernie Perry who is also researching Bowlings, and her recent email to me stated "Levi Boling is thought to be the son of James bca 1756 who moved from Lee Co. VA in 1801 to Clay Co., KY before 1807. -- Ernie" I will inquire further about where she got that information.

Rich Bolin

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 8:47AM GMT
I found another interesting detail in my correspondence with Ernie Perry: "James Bowling, s/o Levi Bowling, of Hawkins Co., TN was arrested for beating up Thomas Rains, s/o Henry Rains [Hawkins Co., TN 1817-1845, WPA 976.87, p. 52-54-56]."

So it appears James is the son of Levi, not a brother as I earlier surmised.

Rich Bolin

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: BOWLING, VAUGHAN
Ernie is an excellent researcher and always willing to be helpful. James is the son of Levi. He is named in John's Will and sold all of the property about 1844 at which time they all left Hawkins Co.
Nancy left at the same time and we know that because of school records. She took her children out of school about 1844. We cannot find them again until 1860 where she and sons, Wesley and Clinton are found living in Carter Co KY.
I believe Levi died in Hawkins Co TN and James took his mother to Clay Co where they are found on census report.
Apparently, James and Thomas did have a problem. Thomas moved onto the property where Nancy and Wilson had lived in 1830. Wilson had owned the property and it looks like she sold it when Wilson died. She did have control of the assets from estate record. Wilson did not leave a Will which leads me to believe something happened to him suddenly. He was a young man, probably about 37 when he died leaving his wife and young children.

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 11:50PM GMT
There appears to be a Bullen/Bullin connection to some Lawson, Mabe, Lankford and Halls of Stokes Co., NC. The names Edmund and Curtis appear in these lines. They ended up in Henry/Madison Co., IN near Clement Lawson and Philip Hall and Dalzel Manis.

One possible source amy be old Jacob Bullin/Bullen etc. of Stokes Co., NC. Many Lawson <=> Bullen marriages there - again lived near Lankford, Mabes and Halls etc..

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 11:57PM GMT
Interesting! There was an Azarah BULLENS who married Sally VAUGHAN b betw 1818-1830; I don't have an actual date of birth for her but that is the timeframe. She was the daughter of Jonathan VAUGHAN b abt 1800-1810, we believe. Jonathan is believed to be the brother of Wilson VAUGHAN. Unfortunately, I have no more information about them.

Do you know who Azarah was?

Thank you very much. This is a big lead.

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 12:21AM GMT
Isaac Bullin shows up in 1790 Stokes Co.

Jacob shows up in 1800 between two Mabes (Reuben and Philip) and near the usual names of Vaughan/Vaughn, Lawson, Langford/Landford/Lankford, Bartlet Belcher, Pruitt, Gains and Collins etc..

I don't know about your Azarah could be Esra/Ezra or on at least one occasion I found it was Israel in another family.

Re: WILLIAM BOWLIN; HAWKINS CO TN

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: BOWLIN, WILLIAM
How sure are you of William's birthdate? I am aware there was a William there but don't know the relationship...his age is important. You must have other documents since you know his wife, etc?

Re: WILLIAM BOWLIN; HAWKINS CO TN

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 7:29AM GMT
I am reasonably sure of the birth year. My first information came from a letter written by my great uncle who gave the year 1776 in Virginia and the name of his wife, Nancy Lawson. He also gave the information that he had a son Pleasant b. 1804 who married Margaret Bledseau (as he spelled it) b. 1803. They had a son James b. 1825 who married Mary Parson b. 1832. James and Mary were married in Lawrence County, Ohio in 1848 and had a son Pleasant b. 1849.

This is all confirmed by the 1850 census for Lawrence County, Ohio, which lists all of these names with the appropriate ages, including William who was 75 in 1850. The census lists them with the spelling Bolan, but these are clearly the same folks that are on the Lee County Virginia tax lists around 1800 and then the Hawkins County, TN tax lists in the 1830's. See:

http://www.lawrencecountyohio.com/census/1850/Mason.htm

William Boling's (Bowling or Bolan) other children were Enoch b. 1808, Thomas b. 1812 or 1815, Riley b. 1816, Winnie b. 1818, Mahala b. 1826 and Laura b. ?

According to the 1850 census, William age 75 and Nancy age 70 are living with their son Thomas and daughter Mahala, and are neighbors to son Pleasant and grandson James and their families. There were in Tennessee as late as 1840 when grandson Carlos was born and moved to Ohio by 1849 when great grandson Pleasant was born. Pleasant born in 1849 was my great grandfather.

I hope this helps.

Rich Bolin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions