Search for content in message boards

John Joseph Haupt, Zwittau, Bohemia

John Joseph Haupt, Zwittau, Bohemia

Lois Haupt (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2001 10:36AM GMT
I am looking for information on John Joseph Haupt born around 1868. According to his US Naturalization papers, he immigrated from Zwittau, Bohemia, Austria around 1899. His second wife, Anna, was my great-grandmother, but he was married once before. Unfortunately, I do not know his first wife's name, but I do know the names of his two daughters from this marriage that remained with relatives. Pauline and Mary remained behind but were naturalized American citizens because they were to join their father in America later. Possibly because of bad health, the daughters never immigrated to America. I have since found that Zwittau is now called Svitavy and is in the Czech Republic. If any of this sounds familiar, please e-mail me at ljhaupt@yahoo.com. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Lois Haupt

Re: John Joseph Haupt, Zwittau, Bohemia

Posted: 21 Sep 2001 7:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Oct 2001 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Haupt,Koff
My grandfather John Joseph Haupt was born 1n 1894 and came from Bogaros, Hungary, at that time. I do not know, but maybe they are related. He came here in 1927 , his brother Adam came also. I think their mother's name was Mary Koff.
Do you know any more info? Karen

Lois Haupt (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2001 4:49AM GMT
Karen,

I'm sorry, but about all the information I have is listed in my posting. Unfortunately, my great-grandfather died years before my father was born and my grandfather died years before I was born, so a lot of family history has been lost along the way. I do not know John Joseph Haupt's parents, but I do know the family spoke only German when they immigrated. I'm not sure I even know where to look for information about John's parents since I do not speak German and since the government of the Czech Republic has changed hands so many times. Any ideas?

To my knowledge, John was a farmer while living in Bohemia. He and Anna were devout Catholics (which I know was not uncommon in the Austrian Empire). According to oral family tradition, they immigrated to the US in 1899 and 1900 because of deteriorating conditions in the Austrian Empire. Let me know if any of this information helps or if there is any other information that I can try to find to help resolve this.

Thanks!

Lois Haupt

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:18AM GMT
I have a 1911 address book from Zwittau and there are a lot of Haupt listed. I also was there last month looking for relative addresses. Mine were Demel and Liebhafsky.
I will try to send a copy of the address page if I can figure it out.
I know your post was some time back.
My personal email is bbuske@comcast.net. I live in Texas.
I hope I can be of help.
Bbuske
Seems like photo can be attached. Have address books also 1922, 1929, 1935 and 1940. All my relatives were removed after WW2
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic