Search for content in message boards

Exporting to PDF file

Exporting to PDF file

Posted: 8 Jun 2007 1:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently upgraded to Family Tree Maker 16 and now find that I can not export a tree chart to an Adobe PDF file in one large page. The export function works fine except the chart is always fomatted into several 8 1/2 by 11 pages. During the export process I am asked if I want this in one large page and I check this button but it doesn't work. How do I work around this problem?

Re: Exporting to PDF file

Posted: 8 Jun 2007 5:56PM GMT
Gordon,

When you are asked the question, HOW do you answer the question? Not clear as to what you want and what your are seeing. Please provide some details.

Thank you,

Russ

Posted: 8 Jun 2007 6:11PM GMT
Russ, thanks for your response. To be more specfic, what I'm asking is, has anyone else experienced this or similar problems when trying to export an FTM chart to a PDF file, and if so, how did they resolve the problem.

Do I need to upgrade something like the PDF converter software? If so, where do I get the necessary upgrade files? Or, is this a problem that has its roots in the FTM version 16 upgrade? If so, is there a patch that will resolve the problem?

Gordon

Posted: 8 Jun 2007 11:19PM GMT
Gordon,

Did you, by any chance, move to a Vista PC?

Russ

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 12:46AM GMT
Gordon,

If you can actually get a PDF of some sort, you are ahead of me. I'm using FTM 16 and I have *never* successfully used the FTM printer. No matter what I do, I get an error saying it cannot be initialized.

Have you set the FTM printer to use "custom" sized paper and entered the page dimensions (in millimeters)?

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 2:07AM GMT
I have been exploring this set of problems. I opened Control Panel then Printers and Faxes and I find two printers listed that seem to be there for the express purpose of exporting to a PDF file.

One is labeled Family Tree Maker Printer PDF Converter 2.10d

The other is labeled Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d

I find that if I change the settings on the Family Tree Maker Printer this does cause a change in the way the FTM exported PDF file is laid out. But if I make changes in the other printer's settings it does not produce any effects in these FTM exported PDF files.

So, I have concluded that the one labeled Family Tree Maker PDF Converter is the one we need to tinker with. In Control Panel...Printers and Faxes...then click on the Set Printers Properties link at the left, I can work my way through the various tabs and change the paper size, portrait or landscape and get the large page chart format in my exported PDF file. But this does not automatically set the paper size to match the file size. I have to to make these changes for each FTM chart I export to a PDF file, whereas before it automatically set the right large page paper size to fit the chart layout.

I'll keep tinkering with this and maybe I'll find out what went wrong in the fist place. Maybe there is some kind of conflict between the two PDF converter 2.10d printers listed in Control Panel...Printers and Faxes. I may try deleting the Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d printer and see if this resolves the problem. It may have been installed by my Calendar Creator software, and it may have some conflicts with the FTM PDF converter.

Gordon

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 11:44AM GMT
athenian,

What are you doing when you get an error message? What is the exact error message?

If you Delete the "Family Tree Maker printer", then use Family Tree Maker and Export to a PDF file, do you still get that error message?

What version of Windows are you using?

Russ

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 11:50AM GMT
Gordon,

That other PDF program may have been part of earlier versions of Family Tree Maker, as Broderbund used to develop Family Tree Maker and they use that "printer" for some of their products.

I think if you look at the "printer" you'll find it's the same program.

Russ

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 1:11PM GMT
I am thinking the Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d was installed by my Calendar Creator software. Anyway, making changes in its paper size/orientaiton settings has no effect on the FTM chart export to PDF function. My concern with his Broderbund PDF Converter is that it when I installed Calendar Creator it may have walked over the registry settings for my FTM printer and this may be the source of my problems.

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 1:28PM GMT
I don't get an error message as such. I try to export an FTM chart to a PDF file and click on the "Export to one large page" button but it doesn't export to one large page. It either exports to several 8.5 by 11 pages or it exports to one 8.5 by 11 page with only a small portion of the original chart shown...usually the top left corner of the original chart.

But, when I open Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes then click to highlight the Family Tree Maker Printer in the list of printers, then click on the Printing Defaults link at the left of this page I get a pop-up with a group of tabs that lets me choose the paper size and orientation. When I choose, for example 24 by 36 inch paper in a landscape orientation, this will then determine the way the chart is exported to a PDF file.

The only remining problem is that this process isn't automatic, like it was in the old setup when I clicked "Esport to one large page." But, it works and I can live with it, so I guess the problem is more or less resolved.

I'm running Windows XP Pro and have an abundance of disk space and memory resourcs. It isn't a computer based problem.

Gordon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions