Search for content in message boards

Brannan (Brannon)/Mason

Brannan (Brannon)/Mason

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Oct 2008 11:40AM GMT
Surnames: Brannan, Brannon, Mason, Byrd, Hannah
Seeking connection between Samuel Rishon Brannan and Thomas Brannan.

Marriage Application of Samuel R. Brannan and Celah "Seely" Mason dated 8/1/1822 mentions Thomas Brannan.

Also, Proof of Death Affidavit by James & Robert Byrd dated 1880 by the Mobile County Court, (obtained through National Archives) states Samuel & Celah Mason Brannan lived 12 miles west of the town Beavers Meadows in Mobile County, AL and was buried in the Hannah-Brannan "Graveyard" in Greene County, MS. Samuel was born 1792, Fairfield County, SC and died 10/15/1868. I am looking for the location of the Hannah-Brannan Cemetery and the connection to the Brannan/Brannon's of Mobile County.

Any information is appreciated.

Re: Brannan (Brannon)/Mason

Posted: 2 Sep 2008 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: Brannan
I found these directions to Brannan Cemetery in Mobile County, Alabama.

DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON A MARTHA E BRANNAN b. 1830 m. 11 Nov 1854?

Directions from Bel Air Mall, Mobile, Alabama. Depart Bel Air Mall, Mobile, Alabama on Bel Air Mall (West) and travel .3 miles. Turn RIGHT (North) onto (S) Beltline Hwy and travel .3 miles. Turn LEFT (West) onto Airport Blvd and travel .2 miles. At I-65 Exit 1/Airport Blvd Exit, turn RIGHT (North) onto I-65 and travel 4.8 miles. At I-65 Exit 8/US-45 Exit, turn LEFT (North-West) onto US-45 [SR-17] and travel 27.2 miles. Turn LEFT (West) onto State St and travel 3.0 miles. Bear LEFT (South) onto SR-217 [Prine Rd] and travel 2.3 miles. Bear RIGHT (West) onto SR-217 [CR-21] and travel .2 miles. Turn LEFT onto Brannon Fork Rd and travel 1.0 miles. Turn RIGHT into cemetery. Total Route 39.3 miles.

It is surrounded by a chain link fence and gate. There is one large oak tree inside the fence to the far left away from the grave headstones and the grass is well kept. This cemetery is still in use.

Posted: 2 Sep 2008 1:34PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2008 11:42AM GMT
Surnames: Brannan, Brannon, Mason
Thanks for the response.

Sorry I do not have a Martha E. (1830). My ancestrial search has hit a wall with Samuel Rishon Brannan (1792 SC-1868 Mobile, AL). I have only his spouse, Celah "Seely" Mason and children: Thomas Jefferson (1823-1887), Katherine (1827), Cecil Calvin (1831-1917), Greenberry (1832), Alexander A. (1833-1889), Samuel R. Jr. (1840), Joseph (1842), Celah (1844) & John O. (1846-1827).

I believe they have a connection to the Brannan/Brannons of Mobile County, AL, and Greene County, MS but have been unable to put them together. Same with connecting Celah Mason Brannan as a relative of Calderwood Mason.

My set of Brannan's married in Mobile County, AL, and moved about to Clarke County, MS, Jasper County, MS and then returned to Mobile County, MS in 1865. Celah later returned to Clarke County, MS after Samuel's death in 1868.

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2008 11:45AM GMT
Surnames: Brannan, Brannon
Hello out there!

We seem to be looking for some of the same people. My Brannan name came down from C.C. Brannan. Son of S.R Brannan that you are looking for. We have hit the same wall. I did find a Samuel that signed a muster roster at the age of 22 in the war of 1812. I have no positive link to say it is him, but everything does fit. He signed with what looks to be a brother name John O. Brannan who was 18 at the time. Also Pratrick Brannan who was listed as their father and was listed as being 66 years old at that time. I also found a return of POW list from 1812 listing the same names. If it them, they went to NY from there. I found Patrick listed with several kids and a wife on an 1800 census from the town they were listed as returning to. No names given on the paper I saw. Just the number of kids. I would love to find when the S.R Brannan that seems to be the wall got to Missippi. Do you know? We may be able to link them or delete them. Either way, it will help.

Posted: 26 Sep 2008 2:03AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2008 11:50AM GMT
Surnames: Mason, Brannan, Weathers
Johnny,

According to Celah "Seely" "Ceely" Mason Brannan's, wife of Samuel Rishon Brannan, Widow Pension Application, Samuel R. Brannan moved to Mobile County, AL from Charleston District, SC abt 1817. From Mobile County, AL to Clarke County, MS abt 1833, to Jasper County, MS abt 1858 and then returned to Mobile County, AL in 1865.

Please take into account that Samuel & Celah did not marry until 1822 and her widow's application was not filed until 1880 (13 yrs after Samuel's death). Celah also states in her application that she nor Samuel had ever been married before their union, which brings up the question if "our" Samuel was the Samuel Brannan that married Becky Weathers in Mobile County a few years prior to the 1822 marriage date of Celah.

If you have documentation of S. R. Brannan's brother & father from the War of 1812, I would love to see it & share some info on Samuel Rishon Brannan that I have.

Cecil Calvin Brannan was a brother of my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Brannan (both sons of Samuel Rishon & Celah Mason Brannan).

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 5:23PM GMT
Hello again,

I did make to the cemetery in question. There several Brannan grave sites there, but none the fit the tree I currently have. The Brannan/mason union is also in my line. John O. Brannan is there son. He and the others are listed on several records. John and Sarah (Sallie) Boykins are the parent of C.C. Brannan (Claude Christopher Brannan). He and Emma Corine "Cora" Abercrombie are the parents of Jack O. Brannan, who is my father. I continue to search. Hanna Brannan Cemetery seems to be a great place to re-start.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic