Search for content in message boards

Girod/Dorig connection

Girod/Dorig connection

Posted: 8 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 13 Apr 2004 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Girod
I heard somewhere, can't remember where, that the town Dorig, in Richland Parish, was named after someone named Girod who must have been very modest. Is there any truth to this story? My maiden name is Girod, descended from a brother of Nicholas Girod, the mayor of New Orleans in the early part of the 19th century.

Re: Girod/Dorig connection

Posted: 25 Jul 2001 6:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Sep 2002 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Girod/Dorig
Yes, there is truth in the story about the name Dorig. It was Girod spelled backwards according to my mother. My parents were married at Dorig July 25, 1920. This was only a post office in a store owned by Mr. Landeaux and located just inside Caldwell parish on La. Hwy 133. Although Mother and Grandpa lived in Richland parish across Beouf River I suppose Mom and Dad crossed the river in a boat to the nearest place they could get married. Mr. Landeaux might have been a justic of peace, that I am not sure of. Later as a child in the late 40's and early 50's we live in Richland parish but just across the parish line so I remember seeing the little store building that Mother always said was also the post office. Mother often spoke of the Landeaux's and Girod's which lived a few miles farther south on this same highway. Some of the Girod grandchildren were near my age and we played together. One of the girls still lives is Columbia as far as I know. I had the privilege of attending a family reunion of a friend at the Landeaux home a few years ago shotly before it was destored by fire. The store building was gone at that time but I did here the daughter of the Landeaux's talking about it. The home was really something for when it was built (not sure when it was) and was in the process of being restored when faulty wireing cause the fire. I have a lot of memories of this area. The Laudeaux home was an important place during the 1927 flood as it was one of the few places that was high and not covered by water. Hope this helps you. Will be gald to answer any question if I can or point you to some one that can. Is there a Felix Girod in your family? Sue

Re: Girod/Dorig connection/ ....CORRECTION

Posted: 25 Jul 2001 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2002 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Girod/Dorig
Sorry I gave some incorrect info about the location of Dorig . It was in the the Girod store instead of Landeaux store. Had always wondered but did not ask my mother why. She spoke of this places often when I was going up and today when I talked to my older sister Lillian she set me straight. Sue

Jane Nearing (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2001 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Girod
Thanks for your information! There's no Felix GIROD in our branch. My father is Raymond Cortez GIROD, son of Willie Kidd GIROD. Willie was a child of the third marriage of Theophilis GIROD (who also had an older son named Willie Scurlock GIROD!)

Posted: 31 Jul 2001 1:10AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 11:58PM GMT
Hi, My great-grandfather was John Francois Girod, a brother of Nichalas Girod. My great-frandfather was Severien Girod, my great-great grandmother was Julia Girod, a sister of Severien Girod. My grandfather was Francis Cole Girod and his wife, my grandmother Edna Hebert. My father was Ezzie Lucien Girod.
Dorig was derived from spelling Girod backwards. It is located in Caldwell Parish on Beouf River. The road comes to a T. to the right is Hebert, to the left is Dorig.
Would love to hear from you.
Gwen

Jane Nearing (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2001 2:33AM GMT
Surnames: GIROD
My great-great-great-grandfather was John Francois Girod I, a brother of Nicholas. My great-great-grandfather was John Francois II. My great-grandfather was Theophilis Girod (I). My grandfather was William Kidd "Willie" Girod. My father is Raymond Cortez Girod.
Most of the information I have is from a manuscript written by
a descendant of Willie Scurlock Girod, a half-brother of my grandfather. Theophilus had three wives, left children here and there in LA & TX, named 2 sons "Willie", and was reputedly a river-boat gambler.

I would be happy to send you a copy of this document, and you could check it against your information!

Posted: 31 Jul 2001 2:48AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 11:58PM GMT
I attended a reunion several years in Okla for the decendents of Theophilus Girod. Met so many people at that reunion. What is so suprising is that we all sorta look alike. I was quite suprised. I met a cousin named Jack who lives in Texas and stayed in touch for several years then moved and lost contact. I have a picture that was taken at the reunion and would be happy to send you a copy sometime if you'd like. Theophilus was a brother of Julia and Severien, both of who were my grandparents. Quite complicated but interesting.
Would like a copy of your history and will be happy to send you a copy of mine.
gwen

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 4:34PM GMT
My grandfather, Frank (Francis or Francisco?) Girod, named the postoffice in the Bayou Lafourche area Dorig, according to my mother, Edna Felonease Girod. He rode a horse into Columbia to get the mail, and sometimes took a large bunch of bananas back for a treat for the kids. Mama remembered this because she didn't like bananas.

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2004 8:30PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. I had just this week been looking on the web at maps of the Richland/Caldwell parish areas, trying to locate where Dorig had been. I did find a GIROD Lane on the Richland side of the river, though. I have seen that Dorig was not a post office for very long.
My great-grandfather was Theophilus and a brother of your great-grandfather.Theophilus must have wandered around some, located in Kaufman Co., TX in the late 1890s and buried, I believe, in Garvin Co., OK.

Do you perhaps have a good listing of John Francois II and Camelia's children, besides our great-grandfathers? I know I've got mistakes, and may have even duplicated some with incorrect spellings.

I have a booklet, written by one of Theophilus' son's line (not mine). I would be happy to send you a hard copy, or you could wait for my planned transcription!

Kitty Wiggins (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2003 3:54AM GMT
The closest I can come to that is Girard, La. Its between Monroe, La. and Rayville, La.
Kitty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions