Search for content in message boards

Alfred Tremblay

Alfred Tremblay

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2004 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tremblay, Tremble, Trembly, Lafrance, Fabre, Larosee
I hope someone will be able to help me with a huge stumbling block that I have come across regarding the Tremblay line of my family tree. Here is what I have:

My Great Grandfather was Alfred Tremblay...
Alfred's Birth Certificate states his parents as: Leon Tremblay and Julie Fabre

Alfred's Marriage Certificate states his parents as: Leon Tremblay and Angelique Larosee

Alfred's Death Certificate states his parents as: Jean-Baptiste Tremblay and Rose Hamel

Alfred was born 9 November 1863 presumably at Moose Creek, Stormont County, Ontario. I say presumably because this is what appears on his death certificate the data for which was supplied by his brother-in-law. On the 1901 census it lists Alfred's birth place as Quebec which I believe is wrong because Alfred' baptism records show him baptised on 1864-09-13 at St. Andrews R. C. Parish, Cornwall Township, Stormont, Ontario. However, because the baptism occurred a good 10 months after Alfred's birth it still leaves room that he may have been born in Quebec.

Alfred was married at St. Albert, Russell County, Ontario on 24 August 1891 to Melodie Lafrance daughter of Onesime Lafrance and Sophia Godard dit Lapointe.

Alfred died from tongue cancer on 10 June 1923 in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario

I have tried to find records for the various marriage combinations listed above and have come up with confusing results. For instance, I have other birth records for other individuals showing the parents as Leon Tremblay and an Angelique Fabre but not for a Julie (Stormont County); I also have other birth records for other individuals showing the parents as Angelique Fabre and a Jean-Baptiste Tremblay (Cornwall Township, Stormont County); and I have found marriage records for a Leon Tremble and a Rose Anne Amel (Stormont County), and so on. But I have not been able to find any connection, aside from what I have mentioned, to any of the couples shown as Alfred's parents.

I have searched the LDS and Canadian census information and nothing close.

I know that one of the possible 'dit' names for Larosee is Fabre so perhaps that may indicate that the birth records I have showing Leon Tremblay and Angelique Fabre are referring to the same parents of Alfred listed on his marriage certificate. The only problem with this senerio is that an Angelique Fabre and a Jean-Baptiste Tremblay were having a daughter one month after Alfred's birth.

Anyhow, as you can see I am at a real standstill. Can anyone help?

Judy

Re: Alfred Tremblay

Posted: 28 Dec 2004 9:36PM GMT
Hi Judy,

I have been tracing the Lafrance family tree. I have Alfred’s parents recorded as Léon Tremblay and Angélique Larosse – (should this be Larosée?). While researching my line, I came across a similar situation on the Godard message board that you are having with the name Angélique. Mélodie’s mother was Sophie Godard dit Lapointe. Sophie’s mother was Angélique Payette dit St. Amour. Another cousin who was tracing the Godard line found out that Angélique went by a few names such as Julie St. Amour, Julie Payette, Angélique Payette and Angélique St. Amour. I think that your Angélique Larosée is the same person as Julie Fabre.

My great-grandfather François Lafrance was Mélodie’s brother. This makes us distant cousins although I can’t fit you into my tree yet. My records on the Tremblay family are kind of skimpy. I have been trying to find descendants of Mélodie and Alfred to help me update my family branch – could you help me out, please? My email address is meber@rogers.com. I would love it if we could correspond with each other and share information. Perhaps I could fill in some "blanks" for you?

In my branch of the family has descended an old photo album. Another distant cousin of ours has created a website for this album. There may be a photo here of Mélodie and Alfred. Could you please look at these photos and tell me if you have seen any of these photos before? At the very least, you will find a photo of your great great grandparents, Onésime and Sophie! I look forward to hearing from you…

http://www3.sympatico.ca/smaw/

Michelle Eber

Leon Tremblay & Angele Fabre dit Larosee

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Tremblay, Fabre, Larosee, Brabant, Massia, Valiquette
Hello,

SOUS TOUTES RESERVES :

I believe Leon Tremblay and Angele Fabre dit Larosee were married c. 1852 in St.Andrew West (Stormont co), Ont.

Leon Tremblay was married first to Sophie Brabant June 30 1839 at St-Polycarpe (co. Soulanges) Qc.

Leon Tremblay was born Aug. 1814, probably in St.Regis (Stormont co), the son of Ignace Tremblay and Isabelle Massia, who were married April 30, 1811 at St.Regis.

Angele Fabre dit Larosee was the daughter of Toussaint (Louis) Fabre dit Larosee & Marguerite Valiquette, who were married Jan. 10, 1825 at St-Laurent (Ile-de-Montreal), Qc.

More research needed on this line.

Re: Leon Tremblay & Angele Fabre dit Larosee

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Catudal, Tremblay, Fabre dit Larosée, Chabot, Boisse, Lafrance, Godard dit Lapointe
Thank you for responding to my request for help regarding Leon Tremblay and Angelique Julie Fabre dite Larosée.

Since my original post from 5 years ago I have found out a great deal more about this couple and each of their histories.

I have not found the marriage record between Leon and Angelique but here is what I know about them. Leon was, as you said, married to Sophie Brebant on 30 July 1839. Sophie died on 16 January 1852. On 25 September 1852 a child Margaret Tremblay was born to Leon and Angelique. On the baptism record it states that Leon and Angelique were married at the time of the child's baptism.

If you count the months between Sophie's death and the birth of Margaret you come up with 8 months. Here are a couple of interesting points:

Margaret was baptized at St. Andrews Anglican Church and NOT at St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church. I think that the reason Leon and Angelique did this was: Leon lost his second wife in January of the same year, 1852. In May of 1852 a census is taken and shows Leon (shown on the census as John) living alone with his children and his visiting uncle and as being a widower. That means that he and Angelique, if they married at all - I've never been able to find evidence that they did - had to have married while Angelique was somewhat with child that obviously was conceived at the time of Leon's second wife's death if not before. If for nothing else that would not have looked very good. So when Margaret was born they feared that if they didn't baptize her and she died then she would spend eternity in purgatory but they couldn't baptize her in the Roman Catholic Church without the priest figuring it out so they did the next best thing and that was to have her baptized in the Anglican church were no one would be the wiser. At least this is my hypothesis. I think that Angelique and Leon's marriage record will show up eventually and when it does it will be found with the records of a non-Catholic church/parish.

Another interesting tid-bit is that in August of 1851 Sophie had given birth to Mary Tremblay. The godmother of Mary was Angelique.

More about Leon Tremblay: he was born in 1814 in Massena, St-Lawrence, New York, USA and baptized on 30 March 1816 at St-Regis, Glengarry, Ontario, Canada. He died under the name of John Tromblay on 21 May 1904 in Moose Creek, Ontario, Canada.

Leon was married 4 times. First to Emilie Cuillerier on 17 August 1835 in Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada, then to Sophie, then to Angelique and finally to Rose Ann Hamel on 13 August 1866 at St-Andrews, Cornwall Township, Stormont County, Ontario, Canada. Rose Ann died on 2 August 1894.

I have not been able to find a burial record for Angelique but know that she died after the birth of my great-grandfather Alfred Tremblay who was born on 9 November 1863 and 13 August 1866 which is when Leon married his last wife Rose Ann.

Thank you once again for having taken the time to respond.
Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions