Search for content in message boards

Camp Curragh in Co. Kildare

Military uniforms and Irish Uncle

Posted: 30 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Sep 2001 12:21AM GMT
Surnames: Byrne

Thanks again Sharon, I see you too are on webtv.. the greatest little invention since the telephone! I have the photo scanned and on a home page.. I think I can put it on this site if it's allowed.. any rules against a url that opens a photo? I don't quite know how to do it, but I will read up on it and give it a go, maybe... thanks for the feed back.. these are great lists.. I got the whole background for my English grandfather, from the Bucks list. A geneology angel looked up the census of 1881, and also the birth baptismal records and filled in the family for me, two generations. I felt so lucky. another angel got me the birth certs. from England . all because of a query on a Rootsweb list! Patricia of Washington state, USA.

Curragh

Sharon (View posts)
Surnames: McCormick

You are welcome.It took me a long time too.Sometimes differant auction houses set aside certain times they will look at an item for you either for free or a minimal price.There are also some collector's on the web will let you send a scanned photo or two and they will give you a little feedback . I think the category is"militaria"Also look at military history sites on the web. It may sond funny but sometimes even a button off of an old uniform can point you in the right direction to your anscestor's ,there are so many who love the military stuff that they can identify even the smallest item's origin.GOOD LUCK!

Curragh and Uncle Thomas

Sharon, Let me say thank you! That is the most informative answer I have received after posting that question, regarding the "Camp" for months, on different sites.. Thanks so much!! I can move on to other possible solutions in my quest.. I hope somehow to identify the uniform .. to make sure it is in fact an Irish regiment, and also that it is the Tom Byrne that I seek! I have had a response back from the South Africa Military Society, with several search suggestions.. and I might go ahead and follow up on some of those. It seems the Irish fought on both sides of that conflict.. in the Boer War. Patricia in Washington state, USA

The Curragh

Sharon (View posts)
Surnames: McCormick

Hello,The Curragh is a horse racing track,that also at one point was also used for a training ground for the military ,Hence"Camp Curragh".I am searching for my greatgrandfather from County Kildare,It is said that he and his brother worked as horse trainer's there.No luck yet so "on with the hunt"I wish you luck

Thomas Byrne and Camp Curragh

Thanks for the feedback.. sorry to say .. there isn't any connection to mine , that I know of.. I think it is one of the hardest eggs to crack.. and it seems every one has a missing Tom Byrne! Did your family name (Byrne) get changed to Burns when they arrived in the states? Mostly occurred because of their inability to read or write.. and the list makers and census takers assumed it was Burns. ??Patricia of Washington State, USA

Byrne, Camp Curragh

Ellen Byrne (View posts)
Surnames: Byrne, Kelly
My husbands grgrandparents Thomas Byrne and Mary Kelly, m 1831, Suncroft Catholic Parish, Ballysax, co Kildare.
They went to San Francisco around 1869 with 5 grown ch, 2 stayed in Ireland.
I have never learned Thomas's parents--he was b 1805, there was a Garrett & Anne Byrne who had son Thomas b 1805 in Kilrush.
We were in Co Kildare 1989-Camp Curragh is on the map-afraid I dont know anything else about it.
The names Thomas & Mary used were--Maurice, James, Thomas, Daniel (her fathers name), Patrick, Sarah, Mary.
good luck. Ellen

Camp Curragh in Co. Kildare

I have a note re: a letter written to my great grandmother either from or about Camp Curragh,Co. Kildare Ireland. The date March 5th 1899 and the name Thomas Byrne and the words "Boer War" are noted. The brother of my grandmother stayed behind in 1871 when the family emigrated to the USA. He was reported to have been involved in the Boer War. I have a photo of a soldier in uniform, lance corporal, dress uniform. The missing brother was named Thomas (patrick?) Byrne. His parents were John and Sarah, sisters Mary Agnes b.1861,Kathleen Rosetta (my grandmother, b.1868) brother James (b.1863) all born in Ireland, plus Josephine E. born on the high seas during the journey. Does anyone know anything about this family or the Camp .. Is it still existing and is it possible to get info re:the regiments that served out of that camp..Is there any source that might identify the uniform in the photo? thanks for any help.. Patricia in the state of Washington , USA

Camp Curragh

Joe Walsh (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Walsh, Dowling, Byrne, Waters
Camp Curragh exists today as a military base just outside Kildare City. You drive throught it on your way to Kildare.

If you believe that you had a family member that served in the Boer War you might try contacting the Brittish Army to determine if he has military records. Knowing that he served at the Curragh might help them track down his regiment, and perhaps find his records. (if they are still available). Check out the GenWeb sites for England and the Brittish Isles for a link to military records.

By the way am seaching for information on Catherine Byrne wife of James Walsh m abt 1830 around Crookstown Co. Kildare.

Camp Curragh In Co.Kildare Ire.

Posted: 4 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT

Thanks for the information about the Camp Curragh. It is very much appreciated. I think I will try writing to the English Military records dept.. I am glad to hear the camp still exists.. and maybe that will be of some help in this search to find out where "our Tom" ended up.. I also have the addresses of the South African records depts,& a woman there gave me several suggestions.. Again thanks so much for the help and I certainly hope you have success in your search for your "Byrnes"
We don't know for sure what the maiden name of my great grandmother was , and the area they "came from" seems to differ among the siblings..with the last child being born aboard ship,"on the high seas" so they must have moved about before emigrating to the USA. I can't forget the truly most difficult problem here.. and that is the name, and also add a Thomas to that .. there must be hundreds of Thomas Byrne, that are being searched for.Good luck and thanks again for the help. Patricia Gibbens of Washington state

Thomas Byrne

Eileen Marks (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Byrne, Gleeson, Coyle, Caffery
My grandfather Thomas Byrne b:1894 m: Teresa Gleeson (b: 1896) they had four (4) children. Nellie,Margaret, Gertie, and a son (not sure of his name - he died age 17 years). They lived at Brownstown, co Kildare.

My auntie Gertie married a soldier and lived on the Curragh Camp. Uncle Tom (Coyle) still lives there so do my cousins, Mary Elizabeth an John.

Any information on a Joun Caffery who may have migrated to the state in the early 1950? would appreciate you help
per page

Find a board about a specific topic