Search for content in message boards

ancestral search

ancestral search

Posted: 22 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2001 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Etheridge, Holley, Leary, Forbes

I am looking for the parents and siblings of my gggrandfather, Thomas Leary Etheridge b.1821 Colerain, Bertie Co.(?), NC d.1885 Princess Anne Co., Va. As a matter of fact, most of the Creeds, Va. Etheridge's are his decendants and would
love to complete his branch of our tree. I think he had two sisters. One married a Forbes and one married a Mcclannen.
Any info would be appreciated, thanks. Russell C. Etheridge III

Bertie Co., NC-1700 -1800's

Dawn Freeman Smith (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Baker, Hawkins

I am searching to verify the marriages of the Freemans
in Bertie, and Chowan counties in the 1700's & early
1800's. My direct Freeman ancestor moved to GA, before
1802. My Freeman's married Bakers and Hawkins women.
I have in my files: Josiah Freeman b: 1738 Chowan Co., NC married Susannah Hawkins and his son, Nicholas
Hawkins Freeman Born : 1738 Surry County, NC
married Susanna Baker. I can't find any info on these 2
in the Chowan, Bertie or Surry County files. I feel there may
be a missing link somewhere. Do you know of these names

Thanks Dawn Freeman Smith

Smoldrn@aol.com

Surname: HOLLEY

Ellen E. Bassknight (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
I am related to HOLLEYS via Merry Hill in Bertie County.
My great great grandmother's name was MARGARET HOLLEY whom married into an UNRELATED HOLLEY family, therefore her name remained HOLLEY. My great great great Aunt was named after her mother, (Margaret Holley; my great great grandmother)she was known as "MAGGIE," and she married a HECKSTALL. My great grandmother was ALBERTA HOLLEY(she did not marry), and her daughter was my paternal grandmother whom was JESSIE HOLLEY whom married my paternal grandfather JAMES "MACK" BASNIGHT; from Windsor, North Carolina. Looking forward to hearing from you. My HOLLEY clan were from Merry Hill, however I was told it was such a big family that they branched out to other areas.

Holley Surname

Ellen E. Bassknight (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Thank you very much for the information. I am appreciative and it is extremely helpful to myself. My Holley relatives were/are of African Ascent; they were enslaved in Bertie County, North Carolina. Upon searching of course I will have to look up records such as " Bill of Sale," " Tax Records," "Real Estate Records," "Court Records," "Insurance Records," " Possibly Census Records," and also "Wills." Again I thank you very much for the information it is certainly helpful indeed. It is interesting to know about the land, quite interesting.
Posted: 2 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2001 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Holley
While looking for my gggrandfather"s ancestors I came across
this report on plantations along the Chowan River.(Bertie Co.) Many
Holleys are mentioned. As a matter of fact, the Lazy Hill
Plantation in Colerain, NC appears to have been in the Holley family and then the Etheridge family. My gggrandfather's name was Thomas Leary Etheridge b 1821 NC,
m 1844 & d 1885 in Princess Anne Co., VA It is possible that he is decended from Capt. William (Willie) Etheridge
who married Mary Holley of Colerain,NC but I can't make the
connection. Would you know Mary Holley's other decendants
(other than Edward)?? Russell PS. I'll email you the report.

Holley's

Andrea Holley (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Holley
I might have info on the Holley. There is a mary Holley that was married to an Ervin Copp. she is the daughter of John Holley. I would be interested in the info you have
andy@fone.net

Christian Freeman

Jim Baker (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Baker
Blake Baker b. 01 Aug 1763, in Bertie County, NC, d. 28 Nov 1820 in Trigg County, KY m. Christian Freeman
Posted: 26 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2003 1:17AM GMT
I go back to a John Freeman who is beleived to have been in Bertie Co. and went to Greene Co. about 1790. He married Nancy_____. They had a dau., Lany that m. about 1810 William Churchwell/Churchill from Duplin Co. Lany Freeman was b. about 1788, d. 1881. Let me know if any ties might be possible. I beleive that both families came from Bertie Co. and am looking for ties.

Susannah Baker

Jim Baker (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Freeman, Wood
Thomas Baker m. c 1770 Sarah Wood.
They had a daughter, Susannah

Freeman

Jim Baker (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Baker
1. Mercy BrewsterPrence b.1631, m. John Freeman Sr.
2. John Freeman Jr. b. 1651, d. 1721,m. Sarah Mercy Merrick

3. William Freeman Sr. b. 1673, d. 1737, m. Mary Outlaw

4. William Freeman Jr. b. 1696, d. 1781, m. Christian Outlaw

5. King Freeman d. 1793, m. Sarah

6. Christian Freeman m. Blake Baker Sr., b. 01 Aug 1763 in Bertie Co., NC, d. 28 Nov 1820 in Trigg Co., KY

I come from the Bakers of Trigg County, KY
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions