Search for content in message boards

Rigsbee family cemetary

Rigsbee family cemetary

CYNTHIA B DORTHY (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2002 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rigsbee
Does anyone know the exact location of the Rigsbee family
cemetary located on Benbow Rd, off Cheek Road in Durham County. I can find the road but for the life of me I can not find
the cemetary.

Thanks,

C. Dorthy

Re: Rigsbee family cemetary

Posted: 17 Apr 2002 12:01AM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2003 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Rigsbee, Stanley, Crabtree
I know where the Rigsbee cemetery is. It is now in a wooded cow pasture or was about 12 years ago. Several of my Great grandparents are buried there. I searched and finally found a man on Cheek Road who tooks me there. Only a couple of stones could be seen. I remember as a child going there with my parents and grandparents to clean the grave yard. I remember it as being a larger grave yard than what the man who now owns the land said it was. My great grandparents, John William Dawson and Isabelle Crabtree Rigsbee are buried there. I knew their son, William Edward Rigsbee, single, never married was the last person buried there to my knowledge. He must have died about 1950-1960 or so. I do believe that Wright and Elizabeth Allen Stanley are buried there and their daughter Louisa Stanley Crabtree who married George Washington Crabtree. If you are able to find it, maybe, some people could get together and have it made into a cemetery again. If you know anyone who knew where the origional Merrick Moore School was, it was right beside it. That is the Merrick Moore school that was a wooden building, still standing in the 50's. Interesting, I would like to know more about it, if anyone knows more. Sandy in NC

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 11:48AM GMT
Surnames: Rigsbee, Crabtree, Chisenhall
Sandy, My GG Grandmother is also Isabelle Crabtree Rigsbee, my grandmother is Eula Roseabell Rigsbee Chisenhall. Are you local? I live about 30 minutes from the cemetary location. Would like to correspond with you regarding the Crabtree and Rigsbee family history. Let me hear from!! Thanks, CD

Posted: 17 Apr 2002 4:36PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2003 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Rigsbee, Glenn, Mayton, Crabtree, Stanley, Allen
Hi Cindy, It's nice to meet you. I remember Aunt Eula quite well. Aunt Eula and my Grandmother, Mary Elizabeth (Liz) Glenn were sisters. My mother was Norma Mozelle Glenn Cooley. Who is you grandmother? I know (even if it has
been years) Mary, Nellie, Vera, Marie, Joe and Teamon (Spelling). They were all first cousins to my mother. I have a lot on the Crabtrees, Rigsbees, Glenns and some on the Chisenhalls. Let me hear from you and maybe we can
help one another out. My Crabtree line is doubled. Isabelle's sister, Mary F. Crabtree was the mother of Grandpa (Elisha Wilson(Bob) Glenn. Grandma and Grandpa Glenn were first cousins. I knew of Uncle Tom Chisenhall, but can't remember just what he looked like. I have two pictures of Isabelle Crabtree Rigsbee. How far do you have the Rigsbees back. I believe I have, John William Dawson Rigsbee's grandfather who was also John Rigsbee, married to
Betsy Glenn. John William Dawson's father was Joseph and he married Nancey Mayton, daughter of Roland Young Mayton. George Washington Crabtree's wife was Louisa Stanley, daughter of Wright and Elizabeth Allen Stanley. What do you have. Let's compare notes, I've been working on this for 14 years. Let me hear from you. O by the way, I left Durham in 1974 and have lived in Cumberland County ever since. Again, it's nice to meet you. Sandy.

**I tried to send this to you by E-Mail and it was returned.

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 11:10PM GMT
My correct email is geniebug@person.net

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Rigsbee
My correct email is geniebug@person.net

Posted: 22 May 2002 4:32AM GMT
Hi,
If you can send me your e-mail address I will send you the Durham Cemeteries. They are all listed on this one site and there are Rigsbee Cemetery's listed on it also. The reason I found it is, most of my family were from Durham and I grew up there myself, so I was searching everything I could find for Durham, N.C. and came upon this site that the people of Durham surveyed. It will probably have exactly what you need and the names you are looking for. My e-mail address is.......rllewis48@aol.com

Rita Langley Lewis

Mavis Galantis (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2002 6:43PM GMT
I saw the question regarding the cemetary on Benbow road I have been out there looking for ties with my grandfather Rigsbee. I saw your response regarding your Great-great grandmother Isabelle, I have been to the cemetray on Geer St in Gorman and I think there is a connection there. All I know about my grandfather's family is that his mother was Annie and is his father was Tom RIgsbee. Annie was suppose to be a Crabtree. He said that his mother died when he was 14 and left him orphaned. I am not even sure all of this is correct. Supposedly his family was connected with the Rigsbee's who owned a pig farm that is now part of Duke Campus. I have been to the Rigsbee cemetary on Duke Campus also. I have been looking for over 20 years for connections. I hope that perhaps you might could help me. At one time I suspected that Isabelle was connected with my grandfather because he said his mother was buried in a cemetary in Gorman outside of Durham. My grandfather's name was William Rigsbee. Hewas born on December 26th, 1887. Thank you for any response

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 3:35AM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2005 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: RIGSBEE CHISENHALL MARKHAM VICKERS MASSEY
Hello Cindy

I am looking for info. on Docia Rigsbee 1869-1933 who married William J. Markham. I think they lived in Green Level, NC, and Sarah Jane Chisenhall Vickers Markham who married William J. Markham's father, Levi Markham. AND Sarah Jane's daddy, Davis Chisenhall only left her $1.00 in his will so I think he was none to crazy about something about her. Secondly, it appears that her daddy, Davis was raising her child from her marriage to Washington Marion Vickers who died in the civil war. Also, she was Levi's second wife. His first wife was Lotia Massey. I have no idea what happened to her. Any input is appreciated : )

Posted: 15 Dec 2002 9:29PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2005 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Rigsbee Chisenhall
I am searching the Jesse Rigsbee line. I am also searching the line of Davis Chisenhall. Both are in my family. I am curious about some things. Do you have information on these families?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic