Search for content in message boards

Boland's in Germany

Boland's in Germany

Posted: 5 Jun 2003 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Sep 2004 5:28PM GMT
I am searching for members of my great grandfathers family who may have remained in Germany. The area is Prussia/Saxony Germany. The towns of Rettgenstadt, Garnbach, Wieh and Kölleda.

Re: Boland's in Germany

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: Boland, beollain
I am a Great Great Grandson of Rhinehart Boland who was born in Hessen, Germany on 5/30/1823. I have been trying to do a little research on our family history in Germany. I have not had a lot in success. I have a copy of a family crest that has "beollain" at the top & Boland at the bottom, but when I try to use this in a search it always points to Ireland not Germany. Can you give me any advice on researching this in Germany?

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 1:58AM GMT
I think that unfortunatly, most people only associate the Boland name with Ireland. The name I found originated in the Pas du Callais area of France, before the French protestants were driven out of France by the Edict of Nants. So anyone today with the Boland name, they will most likely find that if they go back far enough it will lead to France. That is why the name Boland shows up in so many countries now.

As for your question. What I did was try to find where my great grandfather came from, which I was lucky we have his Prussian Army passbook which listed where he was born. If you can find the name of a town/villiage, you may be able to look up and see if there are church records filmed for that town on this website

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.a...

That is for the LDS Family History Center website, If the town's church books were filmed, they would have the copies there and they can be requested from a local Family History Center.

You could also, if you have a town name Google it and see if they have a webiste for that town or area of Germany that may give you more information about the area.

Hope some of this helps. If not feel free to email me and I can see what I can do to help you further.

Posted: 7 Apr 2009 11:49PM GMT
I have been researching my husbands family and have traced them back to June 18, 1834 when they landed in NYC from Bremen. They came across on the Bris Aspasia.
My husbands family had been told all their lives they were Irish but Conrad, list on the first census I could find that they are from Prussia So it was good to see that I am not the only Boland not from Ireland.

Posted: 9 Apr 2009 10:29PM GMT
Below is a copy of a reply I got concerning the Boland's in
Germany. Maybe it will lead you to some more info.

rcboland1 (View posts) Posted: 11 Mar 2009 9:58PM

Surnames:
I think that unfortunately, most people only associate the Boland name with Ireland. The name I found originated in the Pas du Callais area of France, before the French protestants were driven out of France by the Edict of Nants. So anyone today with the Boland name, they will most likely find that if they go back far enough it will lead to France. That is why the name Boland shows up in so many countries now.

As for your question. What I did was try to find where my great grandfather came from, which I was lucky we have his Prussian Army passbook which listed where he was born. If you can find the name of a town/villiage, you may be able to look up and see if there are church records filmed for that town on this website

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.a...

That is for the LDS Family History Center website, If the town's church books were filmed, they would have the copies there and they can be requested from a local Family History Center.

You could also, if you have a town name Google it and see if they have a webiste for that town or area of Germany that may give you more information about the area.

Hope some of this helps. If not feel free to email me and I can see what I can do to help you further

Posted: 9 Apr 2009 11:48PM GMT
I wish I had a way of finding out the city they were from. But the best I can do is a ships manifest that list ggg grandfather as a 4 year old. His name is listed but the 3 other Bolands (adults I'm assuming) only have last names.My husbands gg aunt told us he lived in an orphanage in NY until 12ish. and then made his way to Cinti
On the earliest census I can find Conrad on he says he is from Prussia
I honestlt do not know where to go from here

Thank you Cindy Boland

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 8:44PM GMT
MY NAME IS ASHLEY BOLAND FROM LEPANTO ARKANSAS. MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER'S NAME WAS FRANKLIN JEFFERSON BOLAND. HE PASSED AWAY IN 1994 BUT HAD A BOOK ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE JOHN BOLAND FAMILY FROM GERMANY.

Posted: 17 Aug 2009 9:54PM GMT
Dear Ashley,

My family also came to America from Germany. The info we have on when & where they arrived here is:

The Rhinehart Boland family landed at New Orleans, Louisiana about 1866 coming from Hessen, Germany with their 5 children. Rhinehart was a tailor by trade. One of his sons was Henry Boland (born 7/21/1852). Henry & his wife, Katherine Hoffman Boland, had a son named John Boland (born in 1877).

I don't know if this is the same John Boland you are talking about, but if you think it is I would be interested in comparing the family info we have.

Dale Boland

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 6:29PM GMT
Dale,
Did this Boland family settle in Lowellville, Ohio? I am doing some research on a Boland family who settled in Lowellville - that some of the info (Rhinehart and a son named Henry married to a Katherine Hoffman) sounds pretty familiar.
I am not a direct descendant, but I was doing some research for some one who is a descendant of some Hoffmans and Bolands from Lowellville.
Lisa Wooldridge

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 11:02PM GMT
Hi Lisa,
Yes, they settled in Lowellville & Struthers (which borders Lowellville). Both of these are suburbs of Youngstown, Ohio. Henry & Katherine (Hoffman) Boland's children were: William Boland, Martin H. Boland, John Boland, Lena Boland, Henry J. Boland.

These Bolands are my close relatives (father, aunts, uncles, cousins etc.).

Hope this helps!
Dale
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions