Search for content in message boards

James Burke

James Burke

MJHoth (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 1999 12:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Apr 2003 7:04AM GMT
Surnames: BURKE, DONNELLY
I have been researching my ancestor, James Burke, born (according to LDS) 1698 Ireland. There has been a lot of confusion for many of us regarding the year of his birth. It says he was born 1698 and his father in 1690! This is awfully young, even for those rugged times. I found something else that's interesting...the same John Bourke who is the father of James Burke is ALSO listed as having a son James born in 1710. This James also has a death date of 1782/3 in NC. John is listed in the Boston Port Arrivals database as having arrived from Ireland in 1715/16. It is looking as though he were married in Ireland and had two sons, William b c1709 and James b c1710; he and the two sons apparently came to the Colonies after his wife died. John remarried, to Lettice Donnelly, in 1723 VA and had five more children, variously listed in LDS as either born in VA or Ireland! Could this be the answer to the big question? The only other explanation is that if James was born 1698 he was the brother of John Bourke and not his son...John's father, Richard, was born in 1664 and is closer in age as a father to James than a grandfather. Does anybody have information on this? It seems that the date 1698 everybody claims for James' birth comes from the LDS records. So is this the big answer? It would explain a lot...

Re: James Burke

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2000 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:19PM GMT
Surnames: Burke
Do you have any other given names for the children or grandchildren of John or James?
I ask because I am still searching for info. for Alonzo(?),Arthur and James.
I have not as yet found anything to show where they entered the states.

MJ Hoth (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2000 6:53AM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:20PM GMT
This is all I have on John so far. I am working on expanding both his and James' families. (All of the following are also listed as having been born in Ireland.)
William Burk b c1709 VA, d 24 Apr 1754 VA
James Burke b c1710 VA, d 1782/3 NC
The following are most likely from the second marriage (1723)
Bridget Burke b c1724 Middlesex VA
Thomas b c1726 VA
Richard b c1727 VA
Elizabeth b 26 May 1728 Middlesex VA
Charles b c1730 Middlesex VA
There seem to be a few Burkes/Bourkes in Middlesex records.
The children I have for James Burke are:
Mary Burke b 1732 VA d 1783 NC
James Burke b c1733 VA, d 1783 "in battle"
(have also seen listed as James Edward Jr.)
Sarah Burke b 1734 VA
Honour Burke b Benjamin Burke b 1736/40 VA, d 1780 VA (Battle of Shallow Ford)
John Burke b c1738, d 1782 VA
Joseph Burke b c1742, d 1785
Naomi Burke b 1 Feb 1745/6 VA
Thomas Burke b 1748 VA
(John Thomas listed in LDS but not elsewhere in my records)
The only grandchildren I have so far are the ones listed in James Burke's will, and two children for James Jr.
This is very skimpy as I need to update my notes. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. I am always looking for any information I can to expand this tree it seems to be changing every week or so. Hope this helps...

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2000 8:26AM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:20PM GMT
Thankyou for your response. You said they are listed in Ireland and Va.? I haven't been in touch with LDS as yet. Do they have online access? James Edward is a family name in the early 1900's, but I am still trying to locate prior people and location. I also have to search ships lists and I am finding that disheartening as well as time consuming.

MJ Hoth (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2000 1:12PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Burke, Mountcashel, Bourke, Bane
Online access to LDS is available through www.familysearch.com. It's a great site, full of good info, but sometimes you have to take it with a big grain of salt.
I went thru my notes. I have a John Bourke listed as having arrived in Boston c 1715-16 as per Ancestry databases. I don't know if this ties into the family or not.
LDS shows John Bourke b c1600 Ireland m. Catherine Fay Mountcashel b 1603.
From there it skips to Richard Bourke b 1664 Kill, County Kildare, Ireland, d 1727. (They have Richard listed as the s/o John Catherine but she would have been 61 yrs old! I think there's a generation missing here.)
Richard Bourke was the father of John Bourke b c1690 Co. Kildare, Ireland, d 1762 VA.
John was the father of James Burke b c1710 Ulster N. Ireland, d 1783 Surry Co. NC. James married Mary Jane Bane in 1730. (This is my line, through his daughter Mary.)
There are many flaws in this lineup, esp. dates. But it's a good starting point.
After looking at LDS, try Ancestry's family trees; they are free and you can download them. James Burke is listed there as well. In fact he's all over the place! Lots of descendants. Hope this is of some help...

Keith Burke (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2000 5:36PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2003 7:05AM GMT
My grandfather Jim which I was told Not James Came to Corbin Kentucky in the Mid 1800s'
Fathered two son then return to Ireland with the History you give of your family member surely with most be kin.

Darryl (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2000 12:36PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2003 7:05AM GMT
Keith, Do not have your e-mail but believe you are my uncle. Am interested in in tracing the family history. Would be interested in how much you have achieved.

Beth (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2001 5:53AM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Burke, Bourke, Arnesberry
I am looking for a John Richard Bourke/Burke
that was born in Ireland sometime about early 1800's.
He married a Mary A. Arnesberry there before coming
to the USA. They had 2 sons both born in Hoboken, NJ
1845 and 1849. Don't know if they may be some relation?

David Robbins (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2001 10:16AM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:24PM GMT
Surnames: Burk, Rickard, Robbins
Hi,

I supposedly have a great great great great grandfather, William Burk, who was born around 1700 and who died in 1754. He had a son, Thomas (dates unknown), who was a veteran of both the French/Indian and Revolutionary Wars. Thomas had a son, William who moved to Crawfordsville, Indiana around 1820 and had eleven children, one of whom was my great grandfather, William. There was a scandal connected with William. Though married himself, he became involved with a married woman whose husband was away fighting in the Civil War. They had a child, George, my grandfather. George's mother died in childbirth (1866) which was probably the most respectable thing she could do back in those days and my great grandfather William took George in with his wife and two legitimate sons. William died when my grandfather George was nine. His widow moved to back to Pennsylvania with her two sons but her family wouldn't take George who lived with Foster parents. George then married Mary Rickard of Danville, Il and they had nine children. George died in 1946 and Mary 1967. Their youngest child, Virginia (my mom), married John Robbins and had three children. Mom lives in Florida. I can't really verify the older information. It came from a letter written to my uncle in 1953 by a Jason B. Wirt of Greensberg, Ind. who believe his wife was related. The thing that caught my eye was that your William was born around 1700 and died in 1754 and had a son, Thomas. I don't know where they were from but I imagine one of the 13 Colonies. If you have anything else, Please feel free to write. This is all very fascinating. Sincerely, David Robbins

Al Burke (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2003 9:16PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:24PM GMT
Surnames: BURKE
Hello:

I am also researching this line of Burke's and am currently researching James Burke's oldest son James, born about 1735-1740. This son was disinheriated by James SR. because he fought with the colonies during the Revalotunary War, and the older James was loyal to the King. I have a copy of the older James will and that is were I found it.
However, there is no mention made of what ever happened to James jr.. I believe that I may have found him in Frederick County Maryland. Do you happen to have any information on what ever happened to James jr.

Thanks

Al Burke
per page

Find a board about a specific topic