Search for content in message boards

gunhild jacobsdatter haugen finks

gunhild jacobsdatter haugen finks

Posted: 16 Jan 2006 4:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
First, I would like to thank everyone who posted a message to my last inquires. I have looked up the site on the familysearch.org and discovered some jems!
I am wondering if anyone is able to help with the immigration issue I am encountering?
I cannot find Gunhild Jacobsdatter on any of the immigration records anywhere. She was the daughter of Jacob Olsen and Ragnild Iversdatter born March 1874. Her surname or last name in NOrway, looks like it was Jakobsdatter, as this is the name written on her trunk. According to federal census records, she immigrated to the US in 1893. I just can not find which port of entry she came into. I believe that I have found port of enteries for her brother, Iver and sister, Mari the younger, though.
I just looked again on the ancestry.com data base at our public library yesterday and could not find her.
Please assist if you are able!

Re: Gunhild Jacobsdatter Haugen Finks

PR (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2006 2:08PM GMT
You have found port of entries for her brother, Iver and sister, Mari the younger. What port was that?
You also found her in federal census records... where did she live?

If she was only about 19 yrs old age when she immigrated she was still single?

You listed two additional names - Haugen and Finks. When were those used in Gunhild's life? or by her brothers/sisters?

deb antonsen (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2006 3:47PM GMT
I found Mari the younger coming into NY , though which site (Castle Garden or Ellis) I cannot tell from the printer friendly portion, nor from the actual manifest copy (I could have copied it in such a way to not get that information on the copy). Mari looks like she arrived into New York on May 27, 1891on the ship, Siberian.
Iver, I believe also arrived to New York. I did not print that manifest. I plan on returning to the library to make a copy.
Gunhild's father's last name was Olsen, in NOrway. However, on Gunhild's trunk her name appears as Gunhild Jacobsdatter Haugen. I have found out that the name Haugen was shorten from Haushaugen in Norway. Apparently, the Haugen is indicating a place in Norway. There are records on the familysearch.org that indicate that Gunhild's last name in NOrway was Jacobsen. Once in the United States she and her brother, Iver changed the last name to Haugen. They had another brother, Ole Jacob Haugen. On her marriage certificate from Ransom County, North Dakota she is listed as Gunhild Haugen.
Census records from here in the US, family records, memories of family members and her place of burial all place her in or around Engelvalle, North Dakota at the time of the 1900, 1920, and 1930 censuses (and beyond).
The man she married was Russell Sidney Finks in 1896 at Lisbon, North Dakota.
Her census records indicate an immigration date of 1893, though she did not naturalize according to the census records.
I am thinking that she also may have had a passport application somewhere, but I do not know where to look for that either.

PR (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2006 2:17PM GMT
The parents in 1865?
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

If Gunhild was born about 1874 and left Norway about 1893 we'd expect her to be registered at approximately the age of 19 in an emigration register, regardless of what 'surname' identifier she decided to list on the emigration register. IF the parents above are correct, then the closest port of departure would be Oslo/Kristiania and the 'heimstad' should include some spelling variation of the location Vaage.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

You said 'Haushaugen' - but I can only find farms called Husehaugen in the Vaage area of Oppland.

kaare n (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2006 4:16PM GMT
This is Gunild birth

Detailed view of choosen person
Ref. Page Number Year Born: Baptized: Church
2 7 51 1874 26.03.1874 26.07.1874 Vågå

The baptized:
Name: Gender: (E)kte/(U)ekte Twins
Gunnild Jacobsdatter K E

Parents:
Name: Place Yrke Sivilstand
Father: Jacob Olsen Husehaugen u. Storvig Husmand Gift
Mother: Ragnild Iversdatter Husehaugen u. Storvig Gift

Faddere:
Name Place Yrke Sivilstand Gender
1. John Gudbrandsen Næsset M
2. Ole Sevaldsen Nyrnæs M
3. Hans Paulsen Storvigseie M
4. Anne Iversdatter Nyrnæs K
5. Kerstine Haldogsdatter Nyrnæs K

DEB A. (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2006 7:13PM GMT
THANKS TO PR AND KAAR N FOR INFORMATION. I JUST NEED ALITTLE HELP IN DECIEVERING WHAT SOME OF THE WORDS IN NORWEGIAN ARE.
FOR EXAMPLE, WHAT DO THE LETTERS KE STAND FOR AFTER GUNNILD'S NAME? THEN AFTER PARENTS IT SAYS NAME: PLACE YRKE SIVILSTARD. IS THAT THE NAME OF THE CHURCH WHERE SHE WAS BAPTIZED OR SOMEONE'S HOME?
WHAT IS THE WORD FADDERE? DOES THAT MEAN FAMILY? I AM CONFUSED AS TO WHO THOSE FOLKS WOULD BE AS THEY HAVE LAST NAMES LIKE NAESSET AND NYRNAES.
HELP PLEASE!
I WILL EVENTUALLY BE INVESTING IN A NORWEGIAN DICTONARY!

DEB ANTONSEN (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2006 7:37PM GMT
PR,
THESE LINKS ARE TOO EXCITING FOR WORDS!
I CLICKED ON THEM AND THERE SHE IS !! WOW!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I WONDER IF I COULD TROUBLE YOU TO HELP ME DECIEVER SOME OF THE WORDS? I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH WORDS IN NORWEGIAN.
fOR EXAMPLE, THE Ny Fam. gr. on the registar then the dates of EKsp. dato-----19.05.1893 does that mean departure date? What day and month is that in English? Reisedato, the same thing?
What does Fam.stilling -P stand for? Is the Reisemal the place she is going once in the United States? It must be since that is where she lived her whole life. Linjie--Fr. Lie is what? Finally the skip: Thingvalla ppd?
On the census I did not know what the Yrke was? In the box for that it says : med lidt Jordvei, is that occupation? If so, what is that occupation in English?
Any help you can give would be great!
Deb

kaare n (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2006 9:48PM GMT
I am not so god in this but I have tried to write in something
Detailed view of choosen person
Ref. Page Number Year Born: Baptized: Church
2 7 51 1874 26.03.1874 26.07.1874 Vågå

The baptized:
Name: Gender: (E)kte/(U)ekte Twins
Gunnild Jacobsdatter K= Kvinne= Girl E= Ekte = born in marriage

Parents:
Name: Place Yrke= Occupancy Sivilstand ? Married or not
Father: Jacob Olsen Husehaugen u. Storvig Husmand Gift = married
Mother: Ragnild Iversdatter Husehaugen u. Storvig Gift= married

Faddere: (do not know the english word) was the witness to the baptize. Not necessary family it could be neighbors or people that the (father and mother) knew well
Name Place Yrke Sivilstand Gender
1. John Gudbrandsen Næsset M= mann= man
2. Ole Sevaldsen Nyrnæs M
3. Hans Paulsen Storvigseie M
4. Anne Iversdatter Nyrnæs K
5. Kerstine Haldogsdatter Nyrnæs K

The place name is the name on the farm/place they live at the moment.

Hope it helps
Kåre

PR (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2006 11:06PM GMT
Use these lists of words for help in translating -
http://home.online.no/%7Eotjoerge/files/word.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na17.html

Study these articles to understand naming patterns and use of farm names to identify persons sometimes - also has some excellent advice about censuses, etc.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

Dates are in the European format -- dd/mm/yyyy
(The US does it wrong way around.)

deb antonsen (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 1:15AM GMT
PR,
Thank you so very much for those direct links to the Norwegian/English dictonary and and rootsweb. I was able to find some of the words I was wondering about! That was exciting!
There were some, however, that I think were appreviated (on the ship register). Words like Fam. Stilling-P and EKSP. dato.
Thanks again for the links! Wow they open a whole new world!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions