Search for content in message boards

Joel Root MA>NY

Joel Root MA>NY

Posted: 8 Jan 2004 8:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROOT
Looking for parents and wife of Joel Root b. 1760-1770 who moved presumably from Great Barrington, Berkshire Co, MA before 1800 to Chenango Co, NY.
His children according to Chenango Co History are
Milton H
George
William M
Lois
Fanny
Female unknown

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yvonne

Re: Joel Root MA>NY

Cory Panshin (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2004 11:23PM GMT
Surnames: ROOT, NOBLE, GILBERT, SPENCER, HAVENS, PADGET
According to my records, Joel was born 6 Sep 1767 in Great Barrington. He was the son of Israel Root (1728-1809) and Abigail Noble.

Israel was the brother of Joshua Root Jr. (1715, Westfield, MA - 1791, Great Barrington). Their parents were Joshua Root Sr. (23 Nov 1682, Westfield - 28 Sep 1730, Sheffield, MA) and Margaret Gilbert.

Joel Root and his cousin, Joshua Root 3rd, moved from Great Barrington to Chenango County c. 1792-95 and settled in Root's Corners in Greene, on the Chenango Road. Joel then settled in Guilford, Chenango Co. about 1800.

Joel's daughter Fanny married William Spencer. The daughter whose name is not known married Amos Havens.

A many-time-great-uncle of my husband's, William Padgett, was killed by being caught under a bear trap in the Fall of 1800. A niece who wrote of the incident many years later, described it as follows:

His brother James and he bought a farm about a mile from there and both being young men they hired a man by the name of Joel Root to work for them, and his wife kept the house. Uncle James had gone to Oxford and they had traps set for bears, and William thought he would go look at them, and he was gone so long that Mrs. Root began to feel worried about him. As soon as her husband came she told him about it and he went in search of him and found him nearly a mile from home with a large log across his back. Mr. Root was so frightened that he caught hold of the log and was trying to lift it and William said to him, "you cannot lift it; get a handspike and put under it. ---------"

(The manuscript breaks off at that point.)

Cory Panshin (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2004 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: ROOT, PADGETT
I find that I also have 1800 and 1810 census listings for Joel Root, since he appears in both of them on the same page as my husband's Padgett ancestors in Oxford, Chenango County.

In 1800, Joel is shown with three sons and a daughter under the age of 10, and one daughter aged 10 to 15. He and his wife are both age 26 to 44.

In 1810, Joel had one daughter under the age of 10, two sons and a daughter age 10-15 and one son age 16-25. He and his wife were still age 26-44.

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: Colwell, Root, Havens
The daughter who married Amos Havens was actually a step daughter. Her maiden name was Elisabeth Sallie Colwell, known as Betsey. She was born 27 Feb 1788 in Massachusetts (don't know where) and died 10 Apr 1860 in Batavia, Genesee County, New York. Unfortunately, I do not have any further information on her parentage.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic