Search for content in message boards

Stephen Price Gano

Stephen Price Gano

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 9:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Stephen was my 2 Great Grandfather I am looking for information on his parents, and his Civil War Service. He served in the 104th Regiment of the Bucks County Pennsylvania regulars and was was wonded at the battle of Fair Oaks. He was born 23 Aug 1904 I have some letters he wrote to his wife Mary Van Artsdale if anyone is interested I would be glad to share.

Re: Stephen Price Gano

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 7:23AM GMT
Hi,

I have been looking into the possible parents of Stephen Price Gano. I have no proof, but I believe that Stephen’s parents were William Gano and Jane Price married 17 April 1814. (You can go to www.family search.com and see the marriage record.) Both William and Jane lived in Hunterdon, NJ and this fits with the census record that states that his mother and father were from New Jersey. William’s father was Stephen Gano and Mary’s last name, of course was Price. The census also states that he was born in Nov of 1815. This could have possible made him the first son of William. The name would be fitting for the first boy of the family. This is all speculation. The Gano Ganoe Ganow 1610 – 1790 book by Howard Lemaster does list a Stephen as a son of William but it puts his birth at c.1830, but also states above Williams children that the “order of birth not known.” Also the book has no information about Stephen other than it says that he “went to Ohio.” (If you would like I can send photos of the applicable pages.)

I hope that this at least gives you a starting point. If you haven’t already you might want to contact the Hunterdon Historical Society and/or the Buck County Historical Society for more information. You can find research fee info on their websites.

As for Stephen’s civil war information, your best bet is to submit a research request to the National Archives.
(https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=...)
Go to the “Order Reproduction” link and then click on “Military Service and Pension Records”. The fees here vary based on what you want. I have researched several Civil War Veterans using the National Archives and I have had great results. It is well worth the money.

Lastly, I would like to see the letters between Stephen and his wife. If you have transcripts or copies of them please e-mail me or contact me. Although your branch of the family (if William and Jane are Stephen’s parents) is a bit distant from my own it’s still fun to look through.

Let me know what you end up finding. I will keep my eyes open. If I find anything else I will be sure to let you know.

Kurt

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Gano
Kirt March 14, 2012
Thank you so much for the information and the suggestions for further research. I tried to attach the Civil War letters. But Ancestry won’t accept PDF files for attachment to this response. If you would like to send you email address I would be glad to forward them. Several of the letters are complete but I have some pages that don't appear to go together. I have ended my subscription to Ancestry.com for the summer as I spend the summers in the mountains and am away from internet service, so I don’t get to do much work on family history during the summers. Otherwise I would just attach the letter to my tree and you could download them.
I have some information from simple research on-line about Stephen P Gano's military service and the wound he received at the battle of Fair Oaks.
This search has been a complete dead end for me and you have given me some direction. I would very much appreciate copies of the pages you mentioned, even if it is based on speculation.
I spend the summers in the mountains and am away from internet service, so I don’t get to do much work on family history during the summers. If I find any new information I will send it to you.
Posting here may help others with their search but if you would like to contact me directly please feel free to do so.

Thanks again for you help

John Hansberry
3503 E Westchester Dr
Chandler AZ 85249

jhansberry@cox.net

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 6:13PM GMT
Anyone who would like to see the pages that I am refering to can e-mail me at kurt_gano@yahoo.com. They are pages 138, 139, 148, and 149 of Howard Lemaster's book Gano Family U.S.A., 1970 (also known as Gano Ganoe Ganow 1610 - 1970).

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 8:09PM GMT
Kurt:
I, also am related to the Gano family. My 2 G G grandfather, John Gano, fought and died at the battle of Gaines Mill Va.
He was married to Zinah Waggoner.She died in childbirt in march of 1861. He left behind 6 children to join the 1st NJ volunteers from NJ.
I can not be sure of who his father and mother were.
I would appreciate the copies of the pages of the Gano book.
dlaird3@cfl.rr.com
Thank you
Diane

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 11:19PM GMT
I am away from my ancestry information, but would be glad to share when I get back arount the 1st of July.

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 12:26AM GMT
I would be really interested in transcripts of any of the letters that you mentioned in this post. I am also descended from Mary Lely and Stephen Gano. In fact, my mother and I are in the process of putting together a book about the Hansberry Family into which their eldest daughter Anna Mary married and we really have nothing on the Gano family.
If you want to contact me, my e-mail is annehansberry@msn.com.

Thanks.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 4:28AM GMT
I found the baptismal record for Stephen Price Gano here on Ancestry. His father was Stephen Rittenhouse Gano and his mother was Mary Lely Vanartsdalen. It was Stephen R. who was in the Civil War. Stephen P. was the younger brother of Anna Mary Gano, our mutual ancestress. -- Anne

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 4:59PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. It took a little effort to get my head around it, but it makes sense and clears up other information. This is confirmed by, a marriage record for Stephen Gano Showing an 1883 Marriage.
I have not found a copy of the Baptismal record, and would greatly appreciate it if you could forward a copy to me.

Jhansberry@cox.net
John Hansberry
480 440 7660

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 5:10PM GMT
Kirt
First let me appologise for not getting back to you in a more timely manner. I spend the summers in the mountains, and am just now getting caught up on things. I have found (Via Virda Hansberry) that Stephen Price Gano b1853, was the son of Stephen Rittenhouse Gano b1815, and that Stephen R was the Civil war participant. I can send you more info and copies of the Civil War letters, and Stephen'd full military medical records, but I need you email address.
John Hansberry
jhansberry@cox.net
480 440 7660 Cell
480 361 7096 Hme

Board:
Message Boards > Surnames > Gano

URL:
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.gano/331.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Stephen Price Gano
Author: Kurt Gano
Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Surnames:

Hi,

I have been looking into the possible parents of Stephen Price Gano. I have no proof, but I believe that Stephen’s parents were William Gano and Jane Price married 17 April 1814. (You can go to www.family search.com and see the marriage record.) Both William and Jane lived in Hunterdon, NJ and this fits with the census record that states that his mother and father were from New Jersey. William’s father was Stephen Gano and Mary’s last name, of course was Price. The census also states that he was born in Nov of 1815. This could have possible made him the first son of William. The name would be fitting for the first boy of the family. This is all speculation. The Gano Ganoe Ganow 1610 – 1790 book by Howard Lemaster does list a Stephen as a son of William but it puts his birth at c.1830, but also states above Williams children that the “order of birth not known.” Also the book has no information about Stephen other than it says that he “went to Ohio.” (If you would like I can send photos of the applicable pages.)

I hope that this at least gives you a starting point. If you haven’t already you might want to contact the Hunterdon Historical Society and/or the Buck County Historical Society for more information. You can find research fee info on their websites.

As for Stephen’s civil war information, your best bet is to submit a research request to the National Archives.
(https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=...)
Go to the “Order Reproduction” link and then click on “Military Service and Pension Records”. The fees here vary based on what you want. I have researched several Civil War Veterans using the National Archives and I have had great results. It is well worth the money.

Lastly, I would like to see the letters between Stephen and his wife. If you have transcripts or copies of them please e-mail me or contact me. Although your branch of the family (if William and Jane are Stephen’s parents) is a bit distant from my own it’s still fun to look through.

Let me know what you end up finding. I will keep my eyes open. If I find anything else I will be sure to let you know.

Kurt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions