Search for content in message boards

James and Catharine (or Catherine) Ross

James and Catharine (or Catherine) Ross

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2005 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Ross
I am attempting to locate the cemetery location where James and Catharine Ross are buried. He was born about 1760 in Scotland. She was born about 1766. He is believed to have married Catharine (Nouity or Noulty) in Philadelphia, PA in 1789. He died about 1845 and she a few years later. I believe both are buried in Greenville County.

Re: James and Catharine (or Catherine) Ross

pamela pandolfo (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2003 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Henson, Dill
I am also looking for info on this couple. I found the obit for Catherine in the souther patriot. My grandmother was Emma Jane Ross d/o Oliver Camp Ross and Nancy Henson (both from greenville). His father was Philip (also listed on some papers as JP Ross). In 1850 the census shows Nancy's family as living next door to her uncle John. In the obit for Catherine it's says that John Henson who lived near by died at the same time. It also states that her husband James had been a native of Scotland but had lived in Greenville for many years.

Posted: 3 Mar 2003 10:07PM GMT
Thanks for the response. Re the obit for Catharine Ross, I do not have a complete text for the obituary. If you do have all of it, could you send me a copy by email.

Thanks,
Chuck Ross

pamela blackwood (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2003 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Henson, Dill
Hi Chuck,
My scanner is down right now. Here's what the obit says as it appeared in the Southern Patriot:

Also, near the same place, at her residence, and on the day previous, Mrs. Catherine Ross, in the 85th year of age. Mrs. Ross was the wife and widow of Mr. James Ross, a native of Scotland, though he had lived in this district for may years. (ibid.)

The previous obit says:

Died, on Friday, the 27th ult., at his residence in the upper part of this district, Mr John Henson Sr., in the 78th year of his age. The deceased was a farmer, and highly esteemed by all who knew him. (ibid.)

John Henson Sr. was my ggrandmother's uncle. In 1850 her family lived next door to him. In 1856 she married my ggrandfather Oliver Camp Ross. In 1850 he was 16 and living with his parents Philip and Jane Ross. I have seen Philip referred to as J. P. Ross. I am going to send to Greenville for a copy of James Ross' will and hope I can find a connection.

I would appreciate any info you could send me on this couple!

Thanks for responding,
Pamela Blackwood
genie262@hotmail.com

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 6:03AM GMT
Classification: Birth
I see you have Dill and Henson connection ! Do you have Marium Henson w/o Perry Hutchinson and w/o John B. Dill ?

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 2:52PM GMT
Patricia,

I do not have either Marium Henson or John B. Dill in my family file. The Henson line is from my mother's side of the family, and the Dills are descended from a sister of my 3rd great grandfather.

If you are interested in seeing more of the tree, try the URL below. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to email or call me.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/o/s/Charles-E-R...

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chuck Ross

Janec (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2005 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: Henson, Dill, Hightower
I have Marium Henson born Sept 13, 1838 daughter of James Henson and Nicey (last name unknown), married to John Balis Dill.

Posted: 9 Jan 2005 3:34AM GMT
My 4th g grandfather was John Henson SR. According to this thread, it appears that he has a grand niece Nancy Henson who married Oliver Camp Ross. As I know very little about the siblings of John Henson SR, could you name the parents and grandparents of Nancy Henson?

Posted: 9 Jan 2005 1:56PM GMT
You asked for information about Nancy Henson. I have two Nancy Hensons in my file. One, in the late 1700s married a Ponder.

The other was Nancy Myrtle Henson, b. april 1891, TENN - death date unknown.

Her parents were Charley David Henson, b Nov 24, 1852 in Georgia and died Feb 1, 1912 in Ladonia, TX. He married (1) Sarah Jane Dover, born in Alabama on unknown date. He married (2) Dora Jane Lilly, born June 17, 1870 in Tennessee. Death date unknown.

Charley David Henson's parents were Thomas Henson, b. 1817 in GA. He married Mary E. ? on July 22, 1843 in Union Co., GA. She was born 1817 and death date is unknown.

I have no information about the other Nancy Henson; however, I have extensive information about the Ponder family into which she married.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 23 Jun 2005 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: ROSS, HENSON, ROGERS
Just discovered your posting. Hope this reaches you.

I, too, have Oliver and Nancy HENSON ROSS, and would be very interested in sharing what I have with you. Our line comes through their daughter Mary Louise, who marries a Daniel jefferson Rogers.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Donna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic