Search for content in message boards

Early Cole families of Oxford Co., Maine

Early Cole families of Oxford Co., Maine

Harald (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2001 7:24PM GMT
I descend from Levi and Sally (Cole) Cole of Greenwood.They were m. in Paris in 1811 Can share any of my information. Searching for the ancestors of Levi.

Coles from Maine

John Hastings (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2001 6:07PM GMT
I found most of my information about my Maine Cole ancestry from the Maine State Library. It has a web page which may be helpful. I was able to go to Augusta to the library itself. There I was able to search through their large microfilm collection of various towns' vital statistics. I will look for your Coles in my records, but don't think we are directly related. Good luck.

Cole Family Geneology

Posted: 26 May 2001 6:13PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2003 10:56PM GMT
There is a huge amount of information on Levi Cole, his ancestors and descendents on rootsweb.com and also on worldconnect. He came from a large, prolific family. You have tons of relatives.

Re: Early Cole families of Oxford Co., Maine

Terry (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2002 12:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello from Wisconsin. I'm doing some searching for my son's girlfriend. She brought some family documents for me to look over and I find Levi Cole. born April 20, 1780, m. Sallie Cole,b. Feb 29th, 1796 in Plymouth, MA.. Levi died Jan 9, 1836, Sallie died Dec. 10, 1873, burial in North Paris, Oxford Maine. It also lists 10 children with birthdates and all being born in Greenwood, Oxford, ME. Does this sound like you line of Coles?

Harald (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2002 7:49AM GMT
Yes Terry this is the same family.

Posted: 3 Oct 2003 5:08PM GMT
I also have family records that list Levi Cole as a "Great Grandfather" to my Great Grandmother. I have tried unsuccessfully to find the old family homestead and burial place of Levi. Sally is buried with one of her sons, William, at the Abbott Hill Cemetary in North Paris. If you have any further info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Harald (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2003 1:04AM GMT
Sorry I have no further information on Levi and Sally. I have never tried to find where these people lived. I live in Arizona and rarely get to Maine anymore. Harald

Erin Cole Roth (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2003 6:42PM GMT
I am also researching early Cole families of Oxford county - specifically Porter & Kezar Falls.
I have a great-great grandfather Levi Cole born 1830, died 1899 - he's buried in Freedom, NH. His wife was Hannah J. Estes.
His father was John Cole (b. 1801 d. 1885) married to Martha Rowe.
John's father was Levi Cole (b. 1777, d. 1855 in Porter, ME). I have Levi's wives listed as Eunice Thompson (married in 1799) and then Lydia Sawyer (married in 1822).
If anyone has any further info regarding this line of Coles, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: Cole
Hopefully, this e-mail will reach you. I am a descendent of Levi and Sally also. Leonard, George Leonard, Sadie Cole Danforth was my Great-grandmother. I am happy to see that you know where Levi and Sally were married. I have been looking but have been unsuccessful. I did find Sally's grave on Abbott's Hill a few years ago. Hopefully, this e-mail will reach you. My name is Norma Libby and my e-mail address is
shkira1@live.com

Posted: 21 May 2013 5:43PM GMT
I see a number of family trees on Ancestry that name Joseph Cole and Ruth Sampson as Levi's parents. If Levi was born in 1780, Ruth Sampson Cole is not his mother--she died in 1776 in Plympton, MA.

The Descendants of James Cole of Plymouth lists Levi as a son of Joseph and Ruth. However, I believe E.B. Cole's list is incorrect. In Vital Records of Plympton, Levi is not one of the children listed for Joseph and Ruth.

--Pam Thompson,
Updating and revising The Descendants of James Cole of Plymouth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic